Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Don't like dresses that are in fashion now
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 9:45 pm
I'm looking to buy some new shabbos dresses and the newest fashion is so ugly and they're shlumpy and they make you look fat. Do you give in to fashion and wear what the stores are selling, or what do you wear?

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 9:46 pm
I wear whaT I like. I find most (Jewish) trends to be ugly.

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 10:35 pm
Not buying. I know one person on whom float floral midi dresses look beautiful. Everyone else? Not so much to say the least.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 11:03 pm
Any links to some that will look good for those of us overweight who carry our fat in our stomach area?

amother
Azure

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 11:10 pm
Or, if.it's not hijacking, are also a little large "on top"?

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 11:26 pm
I buy clothing I like. If I find out later it happened to be in style, then that is an added plus.

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 11:27 pm
Omg totally
Literally everything is the same floral, baggy style. I look so bad in it.

essie14

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 1:05 am
I dont buy anything that makes me look pregnant. I buy what flatters me.
The beauty of online shopping is that you can find anything you want. Buy a bunch of things and return what doesnt work.

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 7:08 am
I wear skirts and tops. I’m short and 15 pounds overweight. I don’t look good in dresses. I feel like the skirts and tops help me to hide the weight.

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 8:37 am
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
I wear skirts and tops. I’m short and 15 pounds overweight. I don’t look good in dresses. I feel like the skirts and tops help me to hide the weight.

This applies to a lot of people. I don't know why their emphasis is on skinny teenagers. There are a lot of women with disposable income, who would buy clothing that flattered them, if it was available.

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 8:39 am
essie14 wrote:
I dont buy anything that makes me look pregnant. I buy what flatters me.
The beauty of online shopping is that you can find anything you want. Buy a bunch of things and return what doesnt work.

I find it a huge waste of time. When I'm in a store, I can take 10 things into the dressing room, and see right away if they fit/look good. I can't tell from a picture how it's going to look on me, and if I need to size up or down.

SuperWify

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 8:40 am
Some of these dresses have a ruched top which very flattering on the stomach and top.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 9:52 am
I'd like the styles if they were sturdier material.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 10:46 am
Another vote for skirts and tops.

If you have an excellent quality, nicely tailored black skirt, you can pair it with any trendy patterned top you want, and have an instant upgrade. (Once you find that perfect skirt, get it in a few basic colors, and you'll be set for years.)

When you mix and match, people think you have twice as many clothes! Wink

Never, EVER buy things that "almost work". You will always be unhappy with them every time you have to fuss about a neckline, or a length, or anything else that isn't up to your personal standard or taste. It's better to own a few things that really flatter you, than a closet full of stuff that is just plain frustrating.

BTDT.

DrMom

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 10:50 am
Lots of uuuugggglllllyyy dresses this year. If that's what they are selling, then I'm not buying.

zaq

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 12:41 pm
I pay no mind to what's "in fashion." I buy what I like and think looks good on me. If there is no such thing, I make do with what I have or--rarely--have a seamstress make something for me to my specs.

I'd much rather have people think "she looks nice but out of fashion" than have them think "she's a la mode but it looks awful on her."

Elfrida

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 12:46 pm
Normally I buy what I like, and if fashion matches my taste it's a bonus and I can it more because there are more clothes that I like in the shops.

I didn't like this years dresses. Only then I saw one that I did like, but wasn't at all sure it would suit me. High waists aren't so flattering to overweight top heavy women. I risked it, and ordered it anyway, and when it arrived it was cool and loose and comfortable. But it was so different to my normal style, that I was nervous about wearing it out of the house. I tried it, and wore it to work yesterday. I walked in, and the secretary took one look at me, and told me Iooked fabulous, and where did I get that amazing dress? I've spent the past two days collecting compliments about it. So I think maybe I'm converted.

In my defense, its 100% cotton, and one colour, with self colour embroidery. Not a frilly, floaty, floral polyester dress, which I would have a much harder time with.

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 12:49 pm
Elfrida wrote:
Normally I buy what I like, and if fashion matches my taste it's a bonus and I can it more because there are more clothes that I like in the shops.

I didn't like this years dresses. Only then I saw one that I did like, but wasn't at all sure it would suit me. High waists aren't so flattering to overweight top heavy women. I risked it, and ordered it anyway, and when it arrived it was cool and loose and comfortable. But it was so different to my normal style, that I was nervous about wearing it out of the house. I tried it, and wore it to work yesterday. I walked in, and the secretary took one look at me, and told me Iooked fabulous, and where did I get that amazing dress? I've spent the past two days collecting compliments about it. So I think maybe I'm converted.

In my defense, its 100% cotton, and one colour, with self colour embroidery. Not a frilly, floaty, floral polyester dress, which I would have a much harder time with.

Please post links, that sounds great!

Elfrida

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 12:52 pm
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:
Please post links, that sounds great!

https://www.marksandspencer.co......html

dancingqueen

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 12:55 pm
I love the dresses that are in style right now. They are so cool and comfortable, and it’s a nice aesthetic change from all the slim fitting clothes of late.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics