Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
What stroller to bring to e"y

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 3:31 pm
DH and I plan on going to e"y in August iyh. We havent seen our families in over a year and we are so excited. We are both Israeli but living in the states for now.

Assuming air travel is fine, I wanted to ask about prams.

I have a doona and bugaboo fox.

My baby will be 8 months in august iyH and Im trying to figure out which pram to bring for her. We'll have a stop over so we'll need something to wheel her around the airport and a car seat to get from the car to the airport etc. I figured I'd bring my doona for that. Ik the doona isnt great as a stroller bc of the weak wheels, so I was going to bring another pram to be used as a pram not a car seat. My sil is due a month before we arrive so we wont be able to use her car seat thats why im bringing the doona. We'll have a car while we're there.

Is it worth it to bring my bugaboo? We'll be traveling around the merkaz a lot and going to yerushalaim as well. I need something that can ride well in the Israeli paved/unpaved streets.

I have a gift card to buy buy baby so I was suggested to buy a yoyo stroller for travel. is that better to bring than a bugaboo?

thank you ladies! appreciate all the help!

Success10

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 3:37 pm
The Doona won't be amazing on the streets of the Old City, but I don't think it's worth shlepping another stroller because of that. If you are going to have a car while you're here, I think it's a no-brainer to take the Doona. I see many women pushing it around here in Jerusalem. I think you'll be fine.

Chayalle

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 3:40 pm
I took DD to E"Y as a baby, and took my full-reclining MacLaren stroller for the trip. It was great because it was lightweight and easy to push around, but sturdy. Easy to fold up and give in for storage under the plane. Since DD was very jet-lagged, it was helpful to wheel her around in it in a position she could comfortably fall asleep.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 4:35 pm
thanks.
has anyone traveled with bugaboo fox? how would I even schlep it on plane with us?

SuperWify

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 4:39 pm
Don’t bring your bugaboo you risk ruining it. If you can a yo-yo is highly recommended.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 4:47 pm
SuperWify wrote:
Don’t bring your bugaboo you risk ruining it. If you can a yo-yo is highly recommended.

ruining it how?
are the yoyo wheels good/sturdy enough?

GLUE

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 6:06 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
ruining it how?

I have heard from a lot of people that when you check in a stroller to cargo it has a good chance of braking. If you are checking in your stroller don't bring an expense stroller.

mizle10

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 6:13 pm
GLUE wrote:
I have heard from a lot of people that when you check in a stroller to cargo it has a good chance of braking. If you are checking in your stroller don't bring an expense stroller.

This. Don’t check in your bugaboo. They’re mot careful with the strollers that get checked in by the gate, they get thrown around with the luggage and very often break.

gande

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 6:24 pm
I would just take the doona. Everyone is using around the city comfortably, I don't think it wheels worse than another lightweight stroller and it is pretty strong so it shouldn't break.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 1:25 am
oh wow thx
I read a few threads about the bugaboo bee. is that a good travel stroller?

im nervous about the doona in yerushalayim since the streets arent paved

Teomima

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 1:43 am
First of all, unpaved streets? Huh? Are we talking about the same Israel?

Secondly, yes sidewalks can be rough, and there's lots of stairs to bump up and down on, but I absolutely do not recommend bringing two strollers. That's overkill.

If you're going to be getting around in a car a lot, then yes you need a car seat, so the Doona might be good. If it's only occasionally, you can rent or borrow a car seat and then it's not worth shlepping one with you.

I've appreciated having a stroller small enough to fit in the overhead compartment. A Yoyo is out of my price range but I've very happily traveled with my Mountain Buggy Nano. It fits in the overhead compartment, you can attach a car seat if needed, and I've had no problems using it in the streets of Jerusalem. That said, I've seen lots of Doonas here, too, so people have obviously managed just fine with them (though you see them less now. They were very popular a few years ago but the novelty has worn off I think. Personally they strike me as rather impractical.)

DrMom

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 1:55 am
Streets in Yerushalayim are paved, but sidewalks in the Old City are cobblestone-like, so if you planning on spending a lot of time there, you'll want something sturdy (or just use a carrier).

Older apartments often have somewhat small elevators, so I recommend a stroller with a small footprint that you can maneuver easily into tight spaces if your families live in buildings like that.

essie14

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 2:21 am
Whenever I have had to take my baby into the old city I use a carrier. Any stroller will be difficult there. All other sidewalks and streets are paved, not sure what area you will be in most, but everyone here manages fine with strollers on the paved streets.

Teomima

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 2:23 am
essie14 wrote:
Whenever I have had to take my baby into the old city I use a carrier. Any stroller will be difficult there. All other sidewalks and streets are paved, not sure what area you will be in most, but everyone here manages fine with strollers on the paved streets.

A carrier for the Old City, for sure.

In fact, at that age, a carrier for almost anywhere.

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 2:41 am
Do NOT check in an expensive stroller. I’ve had mine broken by baggage handlers. Bring the Doona and a good baby carrier. I once purchased a cheap umbrella stroller specifically for air travel. I didn’t care if it would get ruined because it was cheap enough.

SuperWify

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 9:00 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
ruining it how?

Airline damage. Happened to me. I love the yoyo. It’s not as sturdy as a fix but it’s super lightweight and a easy push.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 10:37 pm
thanks so much ladies!
we'll be staying by my in laws in rishon and traveling between the merkaz and givat zeev/ramot
so doona it is and ill check out that nano stroller someone mentioned and also the yoyo.

is the yoyo comfy for my baby to shluff in on day trips?

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 10:38 pm
Teomima wrote:
First of all, unpaved streets? Huh? Are we talking about the same Israel?

Secondly, yes sidewalks can be rough, and there's lots of stairs to bump up and down on, but I absolutely do not recommend bringing two strollers. That's overkill.

If you're going to be getting around in a car a lot, then yes you need a car seat, so the Doona might be good. If it's only occasionally, you can rent or borrow a car seat and then it's not worth shlepping one with you.

I've appreciated having a stroller small enough to fit in the overhead compartment. A Yoyo is out of my price range but I've very happily traveled with my Mountain Buggy Nano. It fits in the overhead compartment, you can attach a car seat if needed, and I've had no problems using it in the streets of Jerusalem. That said, I've seen lots of Doonas here, too, so people have obviously managed just fine with them (though you see them less now. They were very popular a few years ago but the novelty has worn off I think. Personally they strike me as rather impractical.)

oh wow! so interesting how e/o thinks so diff. doona is a game changer for me I use it over 5x a day schlepping my baby in and out of the car/to the babysitter etc.

ill check out the mountain buggy nano.
where would I be able to rent a car seat tho?

cholentfan1

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 2:55 am
Don't take a stroller you care about and is expensive. We took our good stroller once abroad and the airline damaged it. Either get a cheap umbrella stroller to check in that you won't care about, or one small enough to go in the overhead lockers.
I'm sure you can ask family/friends there for someone who has a car seat you can borrow for the time you're there. We did that once. Not sure if there was a gemach for it as well.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions