Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
"Each others"?
Previous  1  2

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 2:16 am
So long as these Yiddishisms aren't in a post about how no one needs secular education, I don't care.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 5:11 am
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
this bothers me also. Its definitely a chasidish thing.
Also 'mines'.

And "weathers"

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 5:26 am
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
And "weathers"

Please advise the Yiddish wording which “each other’s” “mines” and “weathers” are translated from

Amelia Bedelia

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 5:30 am
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
Please advise the Yiddish wording which “each other’s” “mines” and “weathers” are translated from

No idea!
"Mines"= "מיינס"

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 5:32 am
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
No idea!
"Mines"= "מיינס"

I think it’s not even proper yiddish

Amelia Bedelia

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 5:39 am
enneamom wrote:
OK amother...

I hear people for whom English is their first language saying it. I don't think that's the issue, I think people hear it, assume it's correct and repeat it. I see it becoming more widespread when I've never heard it before, and I'm sure those who make an attempt to sound intelligent will be happy to be informed that it's incorrect.

I think this is so true! The Yiddish speaking community hears each other (each other's?) speaking a certain way and get so used to hearing it, they assume it's correct. I just grit my teeth when I hear it, because I can't even correct them without sounding like a haughty snob.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 10:01 am
flowerpower wrote:
People are generous with their letters.

I LOVE this. This is now one of my all-time favorite posts. (Not that I remember others.)
I really love this and have to remind myself to reframe.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 10:02 am
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
While that is 100% true, what are you hoping to accomplish?
Are you looking to teach grammar and improve the writing skills of the women here? Are you looking for people to feel insecure about their writing? Or just bolster yourself and show off your intelligence and education? Not everyone’s first language is English. Some people have better educations that others. If I had to post in Hebrew, it would be ridiculously incorrect.
I will admit some posts are harder to read and understand than others, and sometimes you can tell the poster’s background from their writing style. I thought the idea here was to share ideas, advice and insight, not to submit perfectly written essays and to be graded on COPS instead of content.

FYI, I am MO, value secular education and am IVY educated.(Though I am a Math/Science person and hate English/History).

You are so nice. I am generally nice in this way too. I like to think I'm kind. Now I'm feeling guilty for my most recent immediate reaction.

mandr

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 11:28 am
Ok1 wrote:
why do you take it personal? who cares?

Why do you take it PERSONALLY Very Happy

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 11:42 am
I think that computer correction programs can often do more harm than good. It's a double edged sword, for sure.

I used to be an excellent typist, proofreader, and copy editor. Then I had a stroke that affected my language and memory center. I'm a lot more humble now, and generally give people a pass - especially if I don't know their native language.

It's funny that this subject came up today, because earlier I was hanging out with an Israeli friend of mine. I help her with her English vocabulary, and she helps me with Hebrew pronunciation. There are certain sounds that I still mess up pretty badly (mostly due to my hearing loss. If I can't hear it, how can I say it?)

The only time I really get up in arms, is with publications that have a lot of errors on a consistent basis. How hard is it to hire a set of human eyes to give the text a last look before it goes to print? Can't Believe It

Just because I'm not perfect, doesn't mean that I don't value professionalism.

enneamom

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 12:04 pm
alwayssmiling wrote:
It's amazing that you speak that many languages but why assume the rant is about you? For all I know it can be about me or anyone else

It's not about any one person in particular. I kept seeing it here on different threads by different posters and hearing it IRL recently, when I'd never heard it before.

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 6:27 pm
There is an inyan to not speak perfect English when we're in galus. I know it is each other but I intentionally say each others for this reason.

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 7:29 pm
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
There is an inyan to not speak perfect English when we're in galus. I know it is each other but I intentionally say each others for this reason.

Source please?

Amelia Bedelia

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 8:23 pm
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:
Source please?

I think it was a joke

enneamom

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 10:08 pm
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:
Source please?

I hear it's a Burleywoodisher minhag

blessedflower

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 4:13 am
enneamom wrote:
It's not about any one person in particular. I kept seeing it here on different threads by different posters and hearing it IRL recently, when I'd never heard it before.
I know it wasn't meant for anyone specifically. I also didn't feel offended. I was pointing out how it all depends how one says it. Is one pointing out mistakes to educate or to rant? Because the later is not fun for us. Just swallow it. If you want to help learn, I'm all for it. But if you are bothered by my mistakes and can't accept me with it, it hurts and makes my doubt my writting skills.
I shared that I know more languages to point out that it's not always from a lack of education

moonstone

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 4:21 am
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
I think it was a joke

I sincerely hope so.

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 6:26 am
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
I think it was a joke

No it's very real. You're not allowed to speak a perfect English

Goody2shoes

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 11:27 am

Hu? Where does this this minhag stem from? Is it only for Americans?

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 11:36 am

I hear that Moshe Rabbenu didn't speak English at all.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics