Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
S/O Prospect alumni

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 10:17 pm
Any fellow '15ers?

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 10:20 pm
Not ‘15 but an alumni

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 10:20 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
Not ‘15 but an alumni

Me too

amother
Peach

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 11:39 pm
'90 here - OP could be my daughter!

cbsp

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 12:06 am
amother [ Peach ] wrote:

Oooh, I'm '91. Hi

amother
Peach

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 7:48 am
cbsp wrote:
Oooh, I'm '91. Hi

Hi, nice to see you. Glad I'm not the only old alum on here. Smile What are some of your favorite Prospect memories? Where do you live now? Are your initials cb or sp or some combination of those letters?

amother
Red

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 8:12 am
I graduated 98 Hi

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 8:23 am
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
Hi, nice to see you. Glad I'm not the only old alum on here. Smile What are some of your favorite Prospect memories? Where do you live now? Are your initials cb or sp or some combination of those letters?

Class of 95 here, but don’t ask me about favorite memories. As rabbi stern prophetically told us, when sliding down the banister of life, you’ll remember high school as a splinter

cbsp

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 8:26 am
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
Class of 95 here, but don’t ask me about favorite memories. As rabbi stern prophetically told us, when sliding down the banister of life, you’ll remember high school as a splinter

See? You remembered something!

I remember he used to say" familiarity breeds ignorance"

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 8:27 am
amother [ Peach ] wrote:

My sis in law is 90. My daughter is about to be 2021!!

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 8:33 am
cbsp wrote:
See? You remembered something!

I remember he used to say" familiarity breeds ignorance"

I do remember he had lots of witty one liners but I’m blanking on the others. Honestly prospect wasn’t a good fit for me and I kind of knew that going in but wasn’t willing to start going to a new HS without knowing anyone (I went to prospect for elementary) I just didn’t buy what they’re selling and I didn’t fit their mold (I’m not a rebel AT ALL. I just had more questions than they had answers for) that skid it shaped me tremendously as I feel I’ve been running from that all my life. Had huge ptsd when went to enroll my daughter in school: one school felt too ‘prospect’ to me and I had a viscerally negative reaction that only my fellow prospectors understood (but thankfully my husband respected and deferred to) and I chose a different school.

cbsp

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 9:09 am
amother [ Peach ] wrote:

Oh wow.

I was coming from BYBP elementary school, so Prospect was a complete culture shock. I remember arriving for 9th grade orientation, milling around outside with the other students, unsure where to go - and then being sternly admonished for not going inside, it was already 2 minutes late LOL

But I did have a transformative experience there. Coming from a huge school to a class of 84 (on a good day) was precisely what I needed. My best memories involve just ordinary school life.

The interaction with the teachers was something that my friends in the big Bais Yaakov schools couldn't relate to.

After a 9th grade year of getting to school late and even later every single day (traveling in from BP was a logistical nightmare) I switched tactics. I started leaving my house around 6:40 and became one of the morning greeters who annoyed everyone at the door singing boker Tov songs and collecting tzedaka.

I'm not sure if my best Raninu memory is what ultimately went on stage (brachos grocery - I was the pizza) or practicing the story of Midas to the structure of Poe's "The Raven" - I can still recite parts of that... (and if you don't know what I'm talking about, you weren't zocheh to be in "special effects" - which was the hanhala's attempt to get all the girls with no obvious-yet talent involved Very Happy )

I live in Passaic.

You?

amother
Peach

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 12:09 pm
I didn't go to Prospect elementary, so it was definitely a social shock and not so easy to break into established cliques, but where I was coming from was certainly more similar than BYBP. I very much appreciated the rigorous academics and straight shooting from the top on down.

I am amazed at how much I still remember when doing homework with kids and listening to DH's Divrei Torah at the Shabbos meals. I enjoyed the extracurriculars, but they haven't stuck with me as much as they seem to have for so many other girls.

I live in Brooklyn and still keep up with a number of classmates. I very much enjoyed the 30th Zoom reunion last fall, which also enabled the alumni in Israel to join so that we ended up with almost 75% of the class participating!! It's interesting that almost none of the locals send their daughters to Prospect, which has obviously changed a lot since my times. From time to time I bump into Rabbi Kramer, Mrs. Press, and other teachers, and enjoy my trips down memory lane.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 3:41 pm
This thread had me so confused!

I graduated from Prospect High School in California. Totally secular public school. LOL

(Class of '83)

amother
Linen

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 3:45 pm
I graduated in 2005. Hi everyone!

I can honestly say that Prospect Park changed my life for the better. The teachers took me seriously and took time to answer every single one of my (many) questions. My grade was super diverse but everyone got along and I had so many different kinds of friends. I loved the openness and the sincerity and the acceptance. I have such fond memories! And so many laughs! And it helped me develop a strong work ethic that actually made college and graduate school seem easy. My graduate school classmates were groaning under the workload and I was like... um... this isn't very hard! Lol.

I so wish there would be a school like that over here in Lakewood. I work with so many girls who could grow and thrive in an environment like that and instead feel stifled and looked down upon by their schools. I wish Mrs. Press would find a way to open a branch here!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics