Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Difference between a robe and a dress

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 9:20 am
Help a clueless OOTer out.

What is the difference between a Shabbos robe and a dress? I think of a robe as something that ties in the front and is either worn over clothes or worn coming out of the shower (bathrobe). When my in-town SIL shows me her new Shabbos robes, to me it looks like what I would call a dress. Is there a difference?

dankbar

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 9:43 am
Shabbos robe is a maxi dress, worn for comfort at home, usually in comfortable fabric. Robe is more for lounging, in winter it's usually in a velour fabric.
Reg shabbos dress is short, more elegant for going out or to shul/simcha/wedding.

That's how chassidim usually wear.

In different places people get dressed up in reg shabbos attire for seuda & Don't even own a shabbos robe.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 9:53 am
A robe is definitely a "thing" among certain circles, but it's certainly not a requirement. I never even heard of such a thing until I spent Shabbos by a family in Boro Park.

It's usually some kind of comfy stretchy fabric, that is less tailored and more flowy.

This site has the most gorgeous ones, IMHO. Many of them look like they could be evening gowns (with prices to match!) https://www.razadesigns.com/ga.....ca=30

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 9:53 am
Its whatever the heimishe stores sell as a robe. Sometimes they can look like a nightgown/sleepdress and sometimes the nightgowns look like robes. Style:)

Basically, a long comfy maxi dress with mostly just a zipper to close. Occasionally a belt too.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 10:01 am
Robes are easy to get into and out of usually a zipper down the front so if you're running late you can just pull one on and run to light candles. They're made out of washable fabrics that don't crease and aren't delicate so you can serve a meal, sit on the floor and play with the kids, lay on the sofa and fall asleep without ruining them. They're not worn so much in my circles but I love the easy comfortableness (is that an acceptable word here?).

Crookshanks

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 10:44 am
There are bath robes, which are a towel material, night robes, which are usually plush and cozy and which belt in the front, and Shabbos robes, which are always long but can be any material and style. (Fitted, gathered, empire waist, loose...)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics