Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Fish
What can I make this week to last till over YT?

acemom

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 12:12 am
Looking for recipe ideas to do with fish.

I would prefer to be able to cook and prepare as much in advance as possible, not to be busy on erev YT.

Any marinated style recipes available that younger kids would eat?

PinkFridge

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 10:07 am
I don't think you can keep something refrigerated this far in advance. You can make a marinade. Or you can make a fish that freezes well.

flowerpower

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 10:08 am
Regular marinated salmon lasts a good ten days in the fridge.

Rutabaga

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 10:10 am
Pickled salmon is best made ahead actually.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 10:11 am
flowerpower wrote:
Regular marinated salmon lasts a good ten days in the fridge.

Good to know.
Though if I had a second fridge that didn't get opened as much, I'd put it there.

cmother

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 10:45 am
Is it true that baked salmon (not cooked) keeps fresh and BETTER not refrigerated for a few (even 4) days, just sitting on the table/work bench/Shayish covered, even in Summer ?
I have just recently tried leaving it out just over night and worked well, but a few days ??

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 10:59 am
cmother wrote:
Is it true that baked salmon (not cooked) keeps fresh and BETTER not refrigerated for a few (even 4) days, just sitting on the table/work bench/Shayish covered, even in Summer ?
I have just recently tried leaving it out just over night and worked well, but a few days ??

That is very poor advice. While we keep cooked proteins longer that the three days public health advises, we definitely don’t leave it out. In my experience, refrigerated food won’t necessarily spoil, for as long as ten days even, but it starts tasting worse after day four or five.

Pre pandemic, we cooked for Shabbat once a week and when that ran out we at eggs til it was time to cook again. We often recoil leftovers the next week. All of it carefully refrigerated. I’d NEVER have done so in my catering business or restaurant, where I strictly followed the protocols of the public health department.

So while I think the general public health department has extra chumra to keep you safe, I think leaving food that isn’t fermented out overnight has a lot of room for food poisoning. Jyst because you didn’t get sick once does not mean you won’t ever.

If you want me to go into the chemistry, I will.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics