Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
What do you consider an openminded person?
Previous  1  2

PinkFridge

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 7:00 am
There's narrow, and narrow-minded. I know people with very narrow exposure and frames of reference, but who are not narrow-minded. In the sense of understanding that people can be different and being understanding and respectful of them, that there is a world out there, etc. Of course, this is if they deserve such respect.
As was said, there's being so open-minded that one's brains fall out.

seven-up

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 7:53 am
I think an open-minded person is aware of all different opinions and thoughts that others have even if they have their own opinion and are "shtark" about that opinion. So I can feel strongly about a hashkafa, minhag, derech, political belief or opinion because it's what my rav or doctor has guided me to believe but even while feeling that I am right, I can at the same time understand that what is right for me is not right for another necessarily. That is part of believing that Hashem created us all differently, with different personalities, thoughts and dynamics.

When it comes to halacha there are certain red lines that everyone will agree is irrespective of our own thoughts or opinions, like we can't eat milk and meat together,and if someone is breaking halacha it may be proper in certain situations to notify them. But although my rav may hold that chalav yisroel is a halacha and I am relying on a heter if I eat chalav stam, another rav may hold that it is a minhag. I am correct, but another rav's opinion is equally legitimate, even though I don't hold that way. Someone who is close minded would say that because my rav said this, everyone needs to say the same thing and not move to the left or right.

Ditto for medical opinions, even more relevant now during the Covid era. My doctor or rav believe there is a specific way to deal with it. But someone else was told something completely different and they believe they are right because they are right considering their personality, health, age and other factors. I can believe I am right and allow someone else to be more conservative or liberal than I am without attacking the other person or forcing my beliefs on them or cancelling them. Someone who is close minded would say that because my doctor or rav said this, everyone needs to believe and do the same things and I will pressure you to believe like me or tell you flat out that you are wrong.

In a nutshell, someone open minded is confident enough to understand that we all have different ways of doing things and I don't have to change you as long as you are not breaking halacha and we both have a rav and doctor to help us decide what is right/ I don't need to be hostile or smug to you simply because you do things differently whether it's to the right or left.

Lovable

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 7:57 am
An open minded person is someone who is accepting of other people's veiws & opinions, even if they dont agree. They can just accept people for who they are and respect their choices.
As a P.S. many times chassidish people are dubbed 'close-minded', by people who consider themselves to be 'open minded', not realizing that this comment proves their close mindedness

ShishKabob

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 8:50 am
applesbananas wrote:
We all know the saying “so open minded, your brains fell out”
Your allowed to have principles and stand by them. We’re also allowed to be aware that we can only change ourselves, not the world. So being tolerant of things we can’t change is “open minded”
I second this
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics