Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Which is more long lasting, Granite or Porcelain floor tiles

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 4:52 pm
Im looking for an elegant checkerboard look.

Fast forward 10-20 years, which is more long lasting, and less likely to crack or chip, Granite or Porcelain floor tiles?

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 12:51 pm
For a high traffic entrance

bump

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 12:56 pm
Do they do granite on floors? I thought its marble.
Isnt granite used on countertops?

Amarante

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 1:12 pm
There are granite floors. Many commercial buildings have granite floors.

You need to be careful about either granite or porcelain floor tiles because they are slippery. Think of the yellow caution signs that you see in lobbies when it is raining or the floors have been wet.

Porcelain tiles come in all kinds of patterns. I am having porcelain tiles installed right now on my balcony. They look like Malibu Art pottery tiles but they are porcelain and I have a border of porcelain tiles that look like terrazzo. Porcelain is a stronger form of ceramic tile because it is fired at a higher temperature and generally the color goes through all the way. They are less likely to be chipped than standard ceramic tiles. Or porcelain tiles can replicate the look of marble but with lower maintenance. And everything in between.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 1:14 pm
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
Do they do granite on floors? I thought its marble.
Isnt granite used on countertops?

Granite floor tiles used to be very common. Theyre importing less now (Im not sure why), but they still exist.

Theyre much lower maintenance than marble.

Amarante

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 1:20 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Granite floor tiles used to be very common. Theyre importing less now (Im not sure why), but they still exist.

Theyre much lower maintenance than marble.

Granite floors aren't really a look that is considered to be contemporary. Many of the older office buildings and banks in New York have granite flooring in their lobbies. Also granite walls in some of them.

FWIW, porcelain tiles aren't synonymous with a marble look. Porcelain is recommended - especially for floors - because it is more durable than plain ceramic tiles. But porcelain tiles can look like anything - they are just fired in a different way. Like teeth and artificial hips are technically porcelain or ceramic but they bear no relationship to your Bubbe's porcelain tea set. Very Happy

There are some incredibly high tech porcelain like Dekton which is used for counters. I had considered using it but it was a bit too sterile looking for my taste. But there is a video of a "chef" taking a blow torch to the Dekton surface without harming it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics