Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Best bottle for baby with sucking issues/low muscle tone

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 7:22 pm
I’ve been having a very difficult time feeding my baby. Finally got him seen by a feeding therapist and she showed me that he has low oral muscle tone and has sucking issues. She recommended a long silicone nipple but didn’t have any specific bottle to recommend.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

rmbg

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 7:28 pm
Ask her about the dr browns bottle that has a special valve used for babies with cleft palates etc

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 8:02 pm
Tried dr brown, he’s not really taking to it. He’s too old to keep switching because he’s confused already. Hoping for tried and true....

Surrendered

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 8:22 pm
I did the (Haberman feeder?) The one that you mentioned, long nipple. You can control the speed of the fluid intake.
I used it for 3 of my children. Two were very low muscle tone, one had tongue tie. Worked very well bh. Go for it.
It can use any bottle (though I started off with the narrow 1 oz hospital bottle).

sheek

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 8:26 pm
MAM bottles worked very well for my baby who had a similar issue.

champagne

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 8:26 pm
Dr brown’s didn’t work for us either. We used the Mam bottles (they have a wider, flatter nipple.) Worked great!

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 4:16 am
He’s using mam already and it’s not working for him. He’s at the point where he refuses to eat anymore. It’s interesting that a few people recommended it when the therapist specifically said this is totally not good for him.

The haberman one looks expensive and complicated. Was hoping for something for typical...

rmbg

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 4:47 am
champagne wrote:
Dr brown’s didn’t work for us either. We used the Mam bottles (they have a wider, flatter nipple.) Worked great!

You tried the dr browns with the valve? It’s part of the specialty feeding system

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 5:02 am
rmbg wrote:
You tried the dr browns with the valve? It’s part of the specialty feeding system

How does the valve help? I’ve been researching it and can’t understand. My baby pushes out the nipple as soon as I put it in his mouth. I can’t get him to eat.... Crying

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 5:17 am
I did 3 months on habermans then switched to dr browns with the valve and it worked even better then haberman. With haberman you are basically squeezing the milk to the back of the mouth, which makes it easier to swallow, you do need to learn how to squeeze at the right pace
Where are you located?
In israel there is an organization that gives out the expensive specialty bottles
In the states I was told sometimes insurance covers

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 5:29 am
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:
I did 3 months on habermans then switched to dr browns with the valve and it worked even better then haberman. With haberman you are basically squeezing the milk to the back of the mouth, which makes it easier to swallow, you do need to learn how to squeeze at the right pace
Where are you located?
In israel there is an organization that gives out the expensive specialty bottles
In the states I was told sometimes insurance covers

I’m in the us. How does the valve help?

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 6:03 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I’m in the us. How does the valve help?

It controls the flow
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics