Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Need the number of "what is done" hotline
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 5:10 pm
Anyone care to share....
"Everyone" does this and "No one" does that....
I know I can do what I like but what I like is to be mostly up to date!!
How do you all know not to wear this shoe anymore, run buy that brand, or nobody is wearing straight, curly, bouncy etc., everyone gets this. I do have Instagram but I'm still flummoxed.
Please help!!

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 9:22 pm
Anyone? or all of you don't care about being up to date? Or how do you know?? Please help me out!!
This is in all categories clothing, shoes, home decor etc.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 9:25 pm
Go to a local frum clothing store, sheitel macher, shoe store, hosiery store, etc. Every season, or every few weeks

Just kidding LOL

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 9:33 pm
We are not telling you. If you know and too many people know than we are no longer special and cool.
Sorry. I need to protect my social status.

You know I am kidding. I dress out of Costco and wear the same things for years.

Crookshanks

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 10:49 pm
Sometimes I don't know, then I rely on SuperWify.

amother
Amber

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 10:51 pm
You're supposed to either know, or have a teenage daughter.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 10:51 pm
1-888-YOUR-TEEN

For a mere $10 a minute, she will tell you that everything you're doing and wearing is wrong.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 11:32 pm
Well... meanwhile I dont have teens yet!!
So til then how do I find out what "everyone" already knows?

southernbubby

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 11:55 pm
At my age, nobody cares. We can be stylishly out of style but at least we are not wasting our old clothes.
For shoes, I wear clodhoppers. They are great for old feet. I wear them almost everywhere.
Do a mitzvah for the environment, save the world, and be like me; out of style.

mamma llama

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 12:05 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Well... meanwhile I dont have teens yet!!
So til then how do I find out what "everyone" already knows?

Take a look around. Pay attention to what styles people are wearing in shul, at work, etc. Also, look to see which styles keep showing up in display windows.

When all else fails, you can always ask what's "in" on imamother. I see multiple posts each season asking if X or Y is trendy, so you are definitely not alone on this.

amother
Rose

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 12:34 am
I am a SAHM and rarely get out so I rarely know. I usually feel out-of-date. Because I show up to the one simcha I have that season and see that they’re mostly all wearing xyz.
Recently I started going shopping and strolling more on the main streets, and you can pick up a lot in a day of out and about.
Also, I watch my young-married neighbors. I know almost every single item is fashionable and current and chosen with intent according to style.

tweety1

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 2:32 am
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
1-888-YOUR-TEEN

For a mere $10 a minute, she will tell you that everything you're doing and wearing is wrong.

Tell me abt it. I consider myself somebody who loves nice things. Hates nebby. I don't spend alot because I don't have the $$ to spend, but I have a knack of dressing my kids adorable and pretty with the $ I can spend. I really can say so. And here my teenager tells me last week "but mommy you don't understand these days". I love "what's in" but I also love practical and classy. So yeah I guess I'll have to go dial 1-888-YOUR TEEN.

tweety1

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 2:34 am
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
I am a SAHM and rarely get out so I rarely know. I usually feel out-of-date. Because I show up to the one simcha I have that season and see that they’re mostly all wearing xyz.
Recently I started going shopping and strolling more on the main streets, and you can pick up a lot in a day of out and about.
Also, I watch my young-married neighbors. I know almost every single item is fashionable and current and chosen with intent according to style.

That's ME but for my kids I'm very different. I need my kids to be up to date for the most part. It doesn't have to be this season. It can be last season but no further than that. (lemme see how many hugs I'll get on this one)

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 2:39 am
tweety1 wrote:
That's ME but for my kids I'm very different. I need my kids to be up to date for the most part. It doesn't have to be this season. It can be last season but no further than that. (lemme see how many hugs I'll get on this one)

not hug enabled.

Why do you need this?

amother
Jade

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 6:11 am
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
1-888-YOUR-TEEN

Quote from my 13 year old daughter yesterday-
“ no offense but the cardigan you’re wearing is really meant to be a little longer. It would probably look better on me.”

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 7:25 am
Quote from my daughter about my dress:

I wouldn’t wear it but it’s very pretty

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 7:36 am
southernbubby wrote:
At my age, nobody cares. We can be stylishly out of style but at least we are not wasting our old clothes.
For shoes, I wear clodhoppers. They are great for old feet. I wear them almost everywhere.
Do a mitzvah for the environment, save the world, and be like me; out of style.

Me too

I like to be unique
I don’t like having everything that everyone else has
I live OOT, but still if I see it on everyone I don’t like it for me anymore.
Example- I was redoing the floor in my house.
EVERYONE and EVERYWHERE is using a tile that mimics white marble with grey veins
I like it but it’s so overdone I refused to get it

I’ve recently went through my mom’s old jewelry
I was gifted a pair of vintage gold button earrings
I haven’t seen them on anyone.
But to me they are gorgeous.

OTOH- it makes it difficult to shop or someone give me a gift since I don’t like most of the things out there

Zehava

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 7:50 am
I make a safe bet that whatever the stores are selling this season must be in

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 7:56 am
tweety1 wrote:
Same here! I'm wearing clothes from 5 years ago, that aren't in the best shape. And I just don't care.

But my kids need brand new up to date clothes every season. I need them to look cute and put together.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 9:04 am
For the record, 99% of the people wearing midi high waisted skirts, tucked in ribbed turtlenecks, and those loafers looked ridiculous. I normally like to wear the “in” thing but this winter I gave up! I am young, have a good figure, but I said I got to put my foot down so where! Don’t worry I got a lot of compliments on my “old fashioned” clothing
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics