Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
On the fence 12-15 year olds
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 12:30 pm
Who else is on the fence About giving the vaccine to you 12-15 year old I have 2 kids in this Category. Just wanna start off by saying I am very pro vaccine my kids are fully vaccinated on the proper schedule. Both me and my husband got the COVID vaccine but I am just not sure how I feel about giving it to my kids yet Is it the same dose as an adult? My older dd says she may want it are They even give it to this age group in Israel yet? Also thinking hs next Yeah I will for sure I want it not saying it’s not good just I am unsure just yet. And my kids have not have covid

imasinger

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 12:52 pm
Only you can make the decision.

You'll get a lot of pro and con drama here.

But in answer to your question, yes, it's the same dose that's been tested for 12-15 year olds.

Israel is setting up to start.

Here's more information:

https://www.washingtonpost.com.....2-15/

https://www.timesofisrael.com/.....shot/

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 12:59 pm
I am similarly on the fence for now, except my kids are under 12 so I won't face this decision for a while. DH and I otherwise vaccinate on schedule and we both got the COVID vaccine for ourselves. But we perceive the cost benefit analysis differently for our kids. We are just taking it one day at a time for now and following the news and research as it comes out.

wiki

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 1:18 pm
My kids are not old enough to get the vaccine yet, but here's how I see it:

--Covid is basically safe for kids at this age, although in rare cases it isn't. And long-term loss of sensory perception is not that uncommon.
--The vaccine is, thus far, demonstrated to be safe for kids this age, although none of us will be too shocked if in some rare cases it isn't.

The see those costs and benefits as a wash.

But there are further benefits to vaccination:
--No more worrying about your kid being a vector of spread to someone else who could become seriously sick
--No more of your kid causing others to quarantine over exposures
--No more of your kid having to quarantine over exposures to others
--A vaccinated kid might be allowed to enjoy more unrestricted social interactions with risks

I would vaccinate. Not because there are no risks, but because reason indicates that the benefits are a lot greater than the risks.

For the people who are hesitant, have you been observing quarantines this year when exposed to positive cases?

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 1:25 pm
We have a 13 year old and we will be discussing this with her doctors to get a better idea if they would recommend the vaccine for our particular circumstances. She has certain minor risk factors for covid that make the vaccine a valid option but we would like to get a tailored medical opinion first.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 1:40 pm
Check out yesterday's NPR program On Point. Doctors would prefer not also.

Elfrida

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 1:44 pm
In Israel we'll probably be beginning after Shavuot, security situation permitting.

My 14 year old niece is quite excited about it, and her 11 year old sister is jealous!

Jewishmom8

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 1:46 pm
a bunch of my kids in that age group had covid not long ago so I would want to wait a while.
If I start getting problems sending them to school I may reconsider.

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 2:11 pm
Please do your own research & trust your gut.

There are many many doctors on both sides of the fence. In Israel there was a letter signed by 93 doctors advising against vaccinating 12-15 yr olds, and a response to them by the Israeli Pediatric Society in favor of it.

Here are the 2 links I was able to find in English:
https://www.israelnationalnews.....04124
https://www.jpost.com/health-s.....3/amp

And yes, both my daughter and son were each in full quarantine twice this year from separate exposures.

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 2:16 pm
wiki wrote:
For the people who are hesitant, have you been observing quarantines this year when exposed to positive cases?

Yes. For us, quarantine of the kids has been an infrequent and minor nuisance, so it's not something that would weigh significantly in our decisionmaking.

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 3:51 pm
wiki wrote:
My kids are not old enough to get the vaccine yet, but here's how I see it:

--Covid is basically safe for kids at this age, although in rare cases it isn't. And long-term loss of sensory perception is not that uncommon.
--The vaccine is, thus far, demonstrated to be safe for kids this age, although none of us will be too shocked if in some rare cases it isn't.

The see those costs and benefits as a wash.

--No more worrying about your kid being a vector of spread to someone else who could become seriously sick
--No more of your kid causing others to quarantine over exposures
--No more of your kid having to quarantine over exposures to others
--A vaccinated kid might be allowed to enjoy more unrestricted social interactions with risks

I would vaccinate. Not because there are no risks, but because reason indicates that the benefits are a lot greater than the risks.

The risks of taking it are on the child whereas the benefit is mostly for people around them so you can't really do a cost benefit analysis without taking that into consideration. I don't consider not having to quarantine or test as a benefit. That is small beans. My priority is not putting my child at risk ( a new vaccine). My priority is not lessening the risk ( of covid) for those around my child.

amother
Peach

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 4:11 pm
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
The risks of taking it are on the child whereas the benefit is mostly for people around them so you can't really do a cost benefit analysis without taking that into consideration. I don't consider not having to quarantine or test as a benefit. That is small beans. My priority is not putting my child at risk ( a new vaccine). My priority is not lessening the risk ( of covid) for those around my child.

Thank you. It really makes my day to know there are still some sane individuals left in this world.

keym

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 4:39 pm
Under my screen name, I am very hesitant. My kids in this age range all have allergies- anaphylaxis to various foods so it makes me even more worried to give.

We will not be first on line.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 4:41 pm
My husband and I are both vaccinated.
Not jumping to get our kids vaccinated

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 4:51 pm
My pediatrician is supportive of it for my teens. (13+)

We don't have risk factors with vaccines in general. My 16 yr old already has his first shot. He just returned to in person school in a BIG school and plans to work for the city this summer.

My 13 (almost 14 yr old) is in person, has already had to live through 2 quarantines in the spare bedroom, 2 covid tests, bh all negative, in the last year. She is in school in person and plans to be working at the day camp here this summer.

The local shul that we usually attend is smaller in size, but they've basically relaxed SD, but not in theory masks, and there's a lot of COVID "fatigue" (mentally) all around. I just think the more of my household who is vaccinated the better considering our community (which bh has really done a lot this past year to try to keep the protocols) and wanting to minimize disruption and get back to doing more things.

Also, both my teens are basically adult sized and probably done growing, at least height-wise.

Also, my younger child is in person in school and daycare/daycamp in the summer, won't be getting vaccinated anytime soon. I have to work.

And I have these 3 kids with 2 ex husbands--meaning in a lot of ways, I'm not purely 1 household--it's more like 3. I can't control what they do in those houses, and I don't even ask, so the more of us vaccinated in my home, managing risks as I think is best for us, the more I can do something to reduce risks.

Teomima

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 4:54 pm
I have no qualms about getting my kids vaccinated once eligible. I hear people claim covid is safe for children but my dh has been treating so many pediatric covid patients, kids who were sick over a year ago even, that still have lingering side effects, some of them potentially quite dangerous. I'm so tired of being terrified every time my kids want to do something social, especially now that Israel is almost back to normal (well, besides for the fact that we're at war right now). I'd love for my children to be able to breathe easy and feel safe, the way they've seen their parents and grandparents finally able to be. I know it can be scary, vaccinating your children with something new, but once upon a time the smallpox, polio, and measles vaccines were new, too. Even the varicella vaccine feels so new and weird to me. When I was a kid we all had chickenpox parties and accepted the illness as a part of growing up, and now my kids are growing up in a world where a new generation has never known that rite of passage.

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 4:56 pm
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
The risks of taking it are on the child whereas the benefit is mostly for people around them so you can't really do a cost benefit analysis without taking that into consideration.

True in the short term, not in the long term. Herd immunity now reduces the chances of further mutation in the future. A future mutation could be more dangerous for children, and also, children today won't be children forever.

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 4:58 pm
wiki wrote:

Is this accurate? I thought the whole reason they're saying to continue wearing a mask is because it's unknown if you can spread the disease after being vaccinated.

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 5:16 pm
I'm concerned that only 1,100 kids were given the vaccine in the trial. There's no way that's enough.

What about side effects like the heart inflammation that seems to be affecting 1 male aged 16-30 out of 20,000 who get the vaccine? A trial with only 1,100 kids getting the vaccine would miss those events (as likely happened with the JNJ vaccine missing the head bleeds).

And yes I'm concerned about the fertility issue. If you're in a high risk category for covid, sure rely on the fact that fertility issues aren't proven, cost benefit, whatever. But why risk possible unknown future or long term issues for my kids when their covid risk is close to zero?

PinkFridge

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 5:59 pm
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
Please do your own research & trust your gut.

There are many many doctors on both sides of the fence. In Israel there was a letter signed by 93 doctors advising against vaccinating 12-15 yr olds, and a response to them by the Israeli Pediatric Society in favor of it.

Here are the 2 links I was able to find in English:
https://www.israelnationalnews.....04124
https://www.jpost.com/health-s.....3/amp

And yes, both my daughter and son were each in full quarantine twice this year from separate exposures.

Ironically, on the NPR program (which I was only half listening to) a doctor lauded Israel's rollout and said that because it was done so efficiently they're getting to herd immunity so it won't be necessary to vax the kids, which he's not enthusiastic about.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics