Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
On the fence 12-15 year olds
Previous  1  2

challahchallah

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 6:08 pm
Teomima wrote:
I have no qualms about getting my kids vaccinated once eligible. I hear people claim covid is safe for children but my dh has been treating so many pediatric covid patients, kids who were sick over a year ago even, that still have lingering side effects, some of them potentially quite dangerous. I'm so tired of being terrified every time my kids want to do something social, especially now that Israel is almost back to normal (well, besides for the fact that we're at war right now). I'd love for my children to be able to breathe easy and feel safe, the way they've seen their parents and grandparents finally able to be. I know it can be scary, vaccinating your children with something new, but once upon a time the smallpox, polio, and measles vaccines were new, too. Even the varicella vaccine feels so new and weird to me. When I was a kid we all had chickenpox parties and accepted the illness as a part of growing up, and now my kids are growing up in a world where a new generation has never known that rite of passage.

I’m with you. I am much, much more worried about long-term side effects from Covid. I agree that the chance that a child will die acutely from Covid is really small, but it doesn’t seem to be that uncommon for them to have lingering symptoms for months on end or to have damage to organs that could cause problems as they age. Fundamentally, there are long term consequences we don’t fully understand for both Covid and the vaccine. Based on the early data from both, long term damage from the disease seems a hell of a lot scarier.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 6:12 pm
challahchallah wrote:
I’m with you. I am much, much more worried about long-term side effects from Covid. I agree that the chance that a child will die acutely from Covid is really small, but it doesn’t seem to be that uncommon for them to have lingering symptoms for months on end or to have damage to organs that could cause problems as they age. Fundamentally, there are long term consequences we don’t fully understand for both Covid and the vaccine. Based on the early data from both, long term damage from the disease seems a hell of a lot scarier.

It is also important to take into account that the media and big pharma isn't being so honest and revealing about the negative side effects that are occurring from the vaccine. Yes, they may be rare, but it is happening. So the "data" we think we have may not be so accurate.

challahchallah

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 6:19 pm
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
Is this accurate? I thought the whole reason they're saying to continue wearing a mask is because it's unknown if you can spread the disease after being vaccinated.

That was accurate when vaccines were first rolling out, but the data coming in is looking really good (not perfect! Nothing is perfect, but it looks like it cuts the odds by >90%). This is why they’ve reduced a lot of when masks are recommended for vaccinated people.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33626250/

challahchallah

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 6:25 pm
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
It is also important to take into account that the media and big pharma isn't being so honest and revealing about the negative side effects that are occurring from the vaccine. Yes, they may be rare, but it is happening. So the "data" we think we have may not be so accurate.

Of course. Science reporting is often bad, because journalists are rarely scientists who know how to interpret data. And yes, as I said, there are known risks and known unknowns with both. That said, we can only use the data we have so far to make a decision for what to do right now. Given everything we know so far, I think the risk profile of the vaccine is far better than that of Covid.

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 7:28 pm
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
I'm concerned that only 1,100 kids were given the vaccine in the trial. There's no way that's enough.

Actually, there were double that - 2200+ kids age 12-16 in the study.

https://www.pfizer.com/news/pr.....votal

https://www.nbcnews.com/health.....66136

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 7:30 pm
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
Actually, there were double that - 2200+ kids age 12-16 in the study.

https://www.pfizer.com/news/pr.....votal

https://www.nbcnews.com/health.....66136

Half got the placebo.

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 7:37 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Ironically, on the NPR program (which I was only half listening to) a doctor lauded Israel's rollout and said that because it was done so efficiently they're getting to herd immunity so it won't be necessary to vax the kids, which he's not enthusiastic about.

If the reason for allowing the EUA to vaccinate children is to protect older people, there are huge ethical issues with that.

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 7:37 pm
There is a child named Maddie who received the vaccine in a child trial. She became seriously ill from it- paralyzed at one point, feeding tube etc etc
Please follow Empoweredmoms on instagram to learn the truth
Why on earth would anyone take any risk for something that is pretty much impossible for a child to get seriously ill from?

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 7:39 pm
Children can and do get seriously harmed by the virus.

challahchallah

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 7:48 pm
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:
There is a child named Maddie who received the vaccine in a child trial. She became seriously ill from it- paralyzed at one point, feeding tube etc etc
Please follow Empoweredmoms on instagram to learn the truth
Why on earth would anyone take any risk for something that is pretty much impossible for a child to get seriously ill from?

But it’s not “pretty much impossible” for kids to get seriously ill from Covid, that’s the problem. It’s rare but not at all unheard of. In addition to serious acute conditions like MIS-C, there are also children who have long-haul Covid, suffering symptoms for months that may not land them in the hospital but harm their quality of life greatly. On top of that, there’s some evidence that Covid can silently cause organ inflammation which could cause serious health problems down the line. Everyone needs to make their own risk assessment, but it’s foolish to think the risk is zero from Covid itself for children.

A study on MISC to show the big dramatic bad things can happen from Covid, even for kids (ETA: link won’t work, copy and paste the address between the quotes)
“https://www.thelancet.com/journals/eclinm/article/PIIS2589-5370(20)30271-6/fulltext”
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics