Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Recommendation for a crock pot

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 10:34 am
My crock pot just broke and I’m looking for recommendations for crock pots. I need a large size one but which brand do you think is the best

Goody2shoes

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 10:41 am
Im happy with my 6 Quart magic mill

ra_mom

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 11:27 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My crock pot just broke and I’m looking for recommendations for crock pots. I need a large size one but which brand do you think is the best

What size do you need? Hamilton Beach oval crockpots are the best.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 2:50 pm
ra_mom wrote:

Yes, I was just going to say, whatever size, go oval.

ra_mom

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 3:04 pm
How large do you need, 6 quart, 8 quart?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ham.....aw.ds

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ham.....aw.ds

baked ziti

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 4:48 pm
Love my Hamilton beach. Seven years still going strong. I find that the wrap around crock pots cook better than the hotplate ones.

amother
Bergamot

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 8:29 am
ra_mom wrote:

Ive been using Hamilton Beach oval crockpots for years and the outer electric part always works for many years, but the insert cracks, possibly by me knocking it into the sink. I wonder if other companies have a stronger insert.

jflower

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 9:12 am
[quote="baked ziti"]Love my Hamilton beach. Seven years still going strong. I find that the wrap around crock pots cook better than the hotplate ones.[/quote

What's a wrap around crock pot?

ra_mom

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 9:22 am
amother [ Bergamot ] wrote:
Ive been using Hamilton Beach oval crockpots for years and the outer electric part always works for many years, but the insert cracks, possibly by me knocking it into the sink. I wonder if other companies have a stronger insert.

The other brands don't cook as well so I'm not sure it's worthwhile. You can usually find HB crockpots for under $30. How often are they cracking? Is it during washing or while food is cooking inside?

amother
Bergamot

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 10:45 am
ra_mom wrote:
The other brands don't cook as well so I'm not sure it's worthwhile. You can usually find HB crockpots for under $30. How often are they cracking? Is it during washing or while food is cooking inside?

I notice small hairline cracks and use them with parchment paper until the cracks get more noticeable. I assume its from banging into the sink when washing.

And yes, because theyre so cheap I just buy the whole unit because the liner alone costs similar.

Reality

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 11:00 am
ra_mom wrote:

Many people hold that the crock pots with the warmer on the bottom only are better to use on shabbos for halachic reasons.

amother
Bergamot

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 11:22 am
Reality wrote:
Many people hold that the crock pots with the warmer on the bottom only are better to use on shabbos for halachic reasons.

Does anyone know what the Blumenkrantz book or R' Elefant of the OU, have to say on this?

Elfrida

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 12:17 pm
amother [ Bergamot ] wrote:
I notice small hairline cracks and use them with parchment paper until the cracks get more noticeable. I assume its from banging into the sink when washing.

I have one with hairline cracks that I've been using for years. Different company, but I don't remember which.

The crock is white, so the cracks show up.a lot when I'm washing it and water gets inside them. I was worried when I first saw them, but they seem to have remained in the same condition now for years, so I've just stopped worrying.

amother
Strawberry

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 12:34 pm
ra_mom wrote:

On what setting do you keep it? When do you put up your cholent?

amother
Arcticblue

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 1:09 pm
I absolutely love the magic mill. U can sautée your meat in the crockpot on a flame without dirtying another pan

Google magic mill slow cooker.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 2:01 pm
amother [ Strawberry ] wrote:
On what setting do you keep it? When do you put up your cholent?

I put it on low before shabbos. Earliest I ever put it up is about 12pm.

amother
Nasturtium

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 3:00 pm
I have Bella with timer, great before shabbos, so schedule for it to end during lunch

very happy with it,. and u may get it on a good sale on macys etc

recently was told the set up of a crock pot is not so amazing in terms of shabbos , so now looking for the Mehudar one. still love Bella with digital timer for midweek, was wonderful

trying now west bend, cooks too quick, very noisy, reviews say foundation is plastic and cracks, so unsure how long it will last

amother
Pansy

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 4:21 pm
We use a crock pot with a base.

I prefer the magic mill, but they're not cheap and they don't last forever. (They do repair them, btw, if you live in the NY/NJ area. I didn't always know this)

I tried a different crock pot with a base I found on Amazon. The bottom of the base was plastic, and it melted the first shabbos I used it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....e469e

It's cheaper than the other Jewish options, but it was super scary and I wouldn't try it again.

amother
Nasturtium

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 7:33 pm
tried a different crock pot with a base I found on Amazon. The bottom of the base was plastic, and it melted the first shabbos I used it.

this is what we got, used one week,. not great, and noise level is bad news. + no good reviews / cracking base

magic mill however doesnt haev good reviews either. where in NY/ NJ do you fix them?

what does amazing sell? any other brands for Shabbos B Hidur?

anyone else open fridge door B Shniuy? (use towel on hnadle instead of open handle)

amother
Pansy

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 8:15 pm
amother [ Nasturtium ] wrote:
tried a different crock pot with a base I found on Amazon. The bottom of the base was plastic, and it melted the first shabbos I used it.

this is what we got, used one week,. not great, and noise level is bad news. + no good reviews / cracking base

magic mill however doesnt haev good reviews either. where in NY/ NJ do you fix them?

what does amazing sell? any other brands for Shabbos B Hidur?

anyone else open fridge door B Shniuy? (use towel on hnadle instead of open handle)

I bought mine in center of town in Lakewood, and they take care of sending it back to be fixed.

Amazing savings sells prochef. I know people who are happy with that, but I didn't have a good experience, the food always burnt no matter how low I set it.

We have a shabbos plugin thing for the fridge. Zmantech makes it. And our fridge is totally kosher for shabbos.

Also, you can call magic mill.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics