Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Don't like dresses that are in fashion now
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

mandr

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 10:14 pm
There are two prevailing styles this year, from what I've noticed:

The vintage floral look -- ewwww. Looks great on .00001% of the population.

The baggy dresses -- potentially workable. I happen to have gotten a few that I love recently and they work well for maternity, too. Like this: https://sarekaonline.com/colle.....dress

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 2:07 pm
I went shopping and these styles make me look so much bigger than I am. I couldn't find any dresses or skirts that look good. I don't look good in these a line non-fitted dresses or even skirts that look good. If you carry all your weight in your belly area, and are average on top and average hips and have found dresses that look nice on you, please link them.

amother
Babyblue

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 2:09 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I went shopping and these styles make me look so much bigger than I am. I couldn't find any dresses that look good. I don't look good in these a line non-fitted dresses. If you carry all your weight in your belly area, and are average on top and average hips and have found dresses that look nice on you, please link them.

Why do you need a dress specifically?

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 2:15 pm
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
Why do you need a dress specifically?
I edited my post, I tried on both dresses and skirts and they both make me look much larger than I am.

Frumme

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 3:14 pm
This year is all prairie dresses and flowy baggy house dresses because of Batsheva Hay's influence:

https://www.vogue.com/article/.....I-hay

(Takes a bit of time from runway to mainstream retail stores)

amother
Powderblue

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 3:47 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I went shopping and these styles make me look so much bigger than I am. I couldn't find any dresses or skirts that look good. I don't look good in these a line non-fitted dresses or even skirts that look good. If you carry all your weight in your belly area, and are average on top and average hips and have found dresses that look nice on you, please link them.

OP, I feel the exact same way! I could have written this post. I look good in straight skirts and ten times bigger in a-line and pleated skirts. I wish I had advice for you, but if it helps, you're not alone. Sad If I find anything that works, I'll post it IYH. Good luck and keep smiling. The style will change soon.

amother
Pewter

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 4:07 pm
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
OP, I feel the exact same way! I could have written this post. I look good in straight skirts and ten times bigger in a-line and pleated skirts. I wish I had advice for you, but if it helps, you're not alone. Sad If I find anything that works, I'll post it IYH. Good luck and keep smiling. The style will change soon.

I thought I was the only one who has a collection of straight black skirts and many different tops. I simply don’t look good in anything else.

hodeez

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 4:08 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Sounds like you have an apple shaped body. You can look up what styles suit this shape and shop accordingly.

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 4:09 pm
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
Thanks, hope you find too!

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 4:10 pm
hodeez wrote:
Sounds like you have an apple shaped body. You can look up what styles suit this shape and shop accordingly.
I am apple shaped but all the styles this year make you look large. Even the thin people trying on these dresses don't look good in them, but that's what they're selling.

amother
Powderblue

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 4:16 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks, hope you find too!

Thanks! 🤗

amother
Babyblue

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 4:43 pm
I'm doing well with linen style shirt dresses, pulled together with a belt. None of the floral thin flowy fabrics.
For skirts only the structured heavier materials (no gathered waists) work for me, with a structured tucked out shirt (I hem tops, so they hit me in the right spot).
I'm using plenty of clothes from previous years.

amother
Pewter

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 5:04 pm
This season everyone looks like they’re expecting

dancingqueen

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 5:35 pm
I’m actually surprised that people aren’t more excited that such tznius styles are in this year.

amother
Maroon

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 5:42 pm
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
I'm doing well with linen style shirt dresses, pulled together with a belt. None of the floral thin flowy fabrics.
For skirts only the structured heavier materials (no gathered waists) work for me, with a structured tucked out shirt (I hem tops, so they hit me in the right spot).
I'm using plenty of clothes from previous years.

I've been looking for those. Do you have any links?

amother
Mint

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 5:45 pm
I'm so curious, I haven't been shopping much this year, can someone please post a link to a dress of this style that everyone else seems to know about?

Surrendered

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 5:48 pm
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
Or, if.it's not hijacking, are also a little large "on top"?

Here's a great tip I use (on almost every top I buy, especially good for those bigger on the top).
Buy 'Necklastic' (thin rubber with needle), put it through it the hem, on the bottom of the top (make a knot at the end). It gives it a neat sweet look.
I also use it to close a neckline. As well as on anything that should be a bit tighter (sleeves, snoods).
If you want more information where to buy it or how to do it, PM me.
Buy what appeals to you, not what the stores brought in and decided this is the style.

amother
Orange

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 6:14 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I am apple shaped but all the styles this year make you look large. Even the thin people trying on these dresses don't look good in them, but that's what they're selling.

You have to be tall, too, to carry them off.

amother
cornflower

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 6:20 pm
These dresses, which were in Marie Claire in Europe are all tznius and beautiful.

I don't know if they ship to the US, but maybe worth a try

https://pola-paris.fr/

amother
Chocolate

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 7:47 pm
dancingqueen wrote:
I’m actually surprised that people aren’t more excited that such tznius styles are in this year.

Because it is so UNFLATTERING! The midi style is great, the flowy prairie girl, not so much. I'm petit and skinny and generally can wear anything. I looked terrible in every dress I tried on.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics