Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Kitchen remodel tips
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 10:02 pm
bh im working on remodeling my kitchen.

it's a nice size space to work with (abt 400 sq ft) which will include an eating area.

right now the setup is really stupid (bought the house from non jews and the kitchen is super old and not functional).

what are your "do's and don't" and "must haves" for a kitchen

amother
Navy

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 10:12 pm
we just redid out kitchen. very modern
we had an island put in with the marble slabs extending to the floor. like this:

https://www.google.com/search?.....xlnvM

I had a faucet put over my stove top so I can use it for water when boiling things. life saver!!!

tons of cupboards and drawers were put in too. underneath the island on one side are drawers and the other side has more drawers, my milchig dishwasher, and the microwave built in

SingALong

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 11:01 pm
Under cabinet lighting. Spots all over instead of 1 big fixture, you get more light this way. Pantry cabinets With pull out shelves, or a closet with ample space for a walk in pantry off the kitchen.

3 sinks, 3 ovens, if you have the space for it. I’m loving being able to bake things in a parve Oven.
If you do an island, think about how much space you want between the island and the other counter. I did a bit more than standard and I enjoy the extra space the extra 6-12” make a huge difference.
Make space for a nice wide fridge and freezer. It’s so much easier to organize a wider fridge than a narrower one.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 12:11 am
thank you!

love the tip about the island to counter distance! I never understood why some islands are soooo close to the counter!

who helps me figure out the layout for the kitchen? the contractor? or do I have to hire a kitchen layout designer?

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 12:45 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
thank you!

love the tip about the island to counter distance! I never understood why some islands are soooo close to the counter!

who helps me figure out the layout for the kitchen? the contractor? or do I have to hire a kitchen layout designer?

NOT your contractor! Please find someone who knows what he or she is doing for the kitchen design. That person will probably also sell the cabinets. But look for a designer who also sells cabinets rather than a cabinet salesperson who also designs. (Truth in advertising: Yes, I am a kitchen designer.)

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 1:48 pm
Thanks. How much should I expect to pay a good (but not over the top expensive) kitchen designer?
Do they work per hour (like if I wanted just some basic advice) or per project? Or totally different depending on the person?

tweety1

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 3:38 pm
1. Plz have your kitchen man do the design. They have the most experience. I did all spots. 2. A fixture for a ceiling fan in the dinette area. 3. I also made 2 fixtures above the island to put in 2 hanging fixtures. I saw it in somebodys kitchen and it looks gorgeous. 4. Pot filler over your main oven. I use mine all the time. 5. I have a lift for my Bosch. My Bosch sits there all the time and it's always plugged in. It hides in a cabinet when not in use. 6. Broom cabinet 7. Narrow cabinet for trays etc 8. Extra deep sink. 9. For meat I put in extra deep and extra wide.

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 7:32 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks. How much should I expect to pay a good (but not over the top expensive) kitchen designer?
Do they work per hour (like if I wanted just some basic advice) or per project? Or totally different depending on the person?

Different depending on the designer and perhaps depending where you live. Here's a link to the FAQ page on my website: https://design613.com/faq/

tweety1

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 7:51 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
NOT your contractor! Please find someone who knows what he or she is doing for the kitchen design. That person will probably also sell the cabinets. But look for a designer who also sells cabinets rather than a cabinet salesperson who also designs. (Truth in advertising: Yes, I am a kitchen designer.)

I had an interior design design my kitchen. Somebody highly recommended her specialty is kitchens. Well I had it redesigned by my kitchen man and it was a million times better than the one from the interior designer. When you have a heart problem you go to a cardiologist, when you have a skin problem you go to a dermatologist, when you have a kitchen problem, you go to a kitchen man.

amother
Violet

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 7:56 pm
tweety1 wrote:
I had an interior design design my kitchen. Somebody highly recommended her specialty is kitchens. Well I had it redesigned by my kitchen man and it was a million times better than the one from the interior designer. When you have a heart problem you go to a cardiologist, when you have a skin problem you go to a dermatologist, when you have a kitchen problem, you go to a kitchen man.

Are you saying she didn't specialize in kitchens?

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 8:33 pm
tweety1 wrote:

Many — perhaps most — interior designers focus on aesthetics and trends rather than function and ergonomics. I often will refer a client to an interior designer for colors, styles, and getting everything to look right together. And I receive referrals from both interior designers and contractors.

tweety1

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 9:03 pm
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
Are you saying she didn't specialize in kitchens?

She did. Supposedly. But she's an interior designer not a kitchen man. A kitchen man does this all day. That's his specialty. An interior designer yes she might specialize in kitchens but she does other things too.

Bananas!

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 9:42 pm
I would say that a designer is definitely a better idea then the kitchen guy
My kitchen guy gave me a standard plan and then my designer and I worked on it changing it to include all my needs can’t compare what I got out of the space!

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 10:04 pm
whats a kitchen guy/man?

tweety1

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 10:16 pm
Bananas! wrote:
My kitchen guy gave me a standard plan and then my designer and I worked on it changing it to include all my needs can’t compare what I got out of the space!

I wonder if there's such a thing as standard. I had an empty space. I took it took 4 different places. I got 4 different layouts. (besides interior designer). I ultimately did my kitchen by whose design I liked best.

Bananas!

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 10:18 pm
tweety1 wrote:
I wonder if there's such a thing as standard. I had an empty space. I took it took 4 different places. I got 4 different layouts. (besides interior designer). I ultimately did my kitchen by who's design I liked best.

I got a basic layout- all under counter was cabinets not draws, a big pantry verses some draws, corner cabinets…

tweety1

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 10:20 pm
Bananas! wrote:

That's exactly what my kitchen man did. He sat with me for 2 hours just going over my needs and wants. I knew every detail what I want, what I didn't want, what's not so imp, what's a bonus. And he designed the layout with all that in mind.

doodlesmom

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 10:26 pm
A kitchen man, is one who actually sells custom or semi custom kitchen cabinets I guess.

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 10:28 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
whats a kitchen guy/man?

or a kitchen lady...

This can refer to either an independent designer specializing in kitchens or someone who works for a kitchen cabinet showroom. Lines can be a bit blurred so exact titles can be confusing. And G-d did not make us all equally talented.

A kitchen guy/lady will meet with clients, measure, draw the space (usually in 3D CAD), design the kitchen, meet with clients again, do revisions (and more revisions), order the cabinets, and see the project through — I'm an independent designer and do everything except I generally delegate measuring and drawing up the existing space to my son.

In some showrooms there may be more of a division of labor with different people doing consultation, measuring, design, drawings, and follow-up.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 10:57 pm
Do I pay the kitchen guy for the designing or it’s just included in the costs?

I live in haverstraw (on top of monsey) are there any good recommendations for kitchen stores (kitchen guys!) located in the monsey or surrounding areas? I really know so little about design and layout but appreciate good work
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen