Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Turbulent Souls by Stephen J. Dubner

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jan 22 2008, 9:55 am
I read it on recommendation but it’s not what I’d call a Jewish book. The first 200 pages are about his parents’ relationship with Yushke – and pictures.

Ya then got two pages of him and the Rebbe of Lubavitch – lehavdil – and then a smattering of his journey back.

IMO, not worth the read and I wouldn’t leave it out for “people” to see, either.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Tue, Jan 22 2008, 12:59 pm
I read it years ago, too. and felt the same way. not "frum" book

rosehill

Post Tue, Jan 22 2008, 6:05 pm
I'm so surprised to be reading this. I read the book a few years ago, and found it fascinating, albeit a work in progress.

Anyone know where the author is holding now?

daisy

Post Tue, Jan 22 2008, 7:45 pm
I also remember liking this book, though I read it quite awhile ago and don't remember much about it. I think they also did a story about him in the NY Times magazine?

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jan 22 2008, 8:00 pm
I got his other books, so perhaps he can redeem himself in my eyes ....

Mirabelle

Post Wed, Jan 23 2008, 7:41 am
I actually really liked it.

mimivan

Post Wed, Jan 23 2008, 7:45 am
I read it years ago as well, but was not frum when I read it. Anyone who wants to read a book on a similar theme should read "Playing with Fire" by Tova Mordechai...also about a woman who was raised Xtian and discovers she is Jewish.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jan 23 2008, 10:32 am
Takeh, her book was similar. Full of Yushke, too.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Wed, Jan 23 2008, 10:34 pm
I'll have to reread the book to decide again, since others say it was very good. it/s been years

tzipp

Post Thu, Jan 24 2008, 6:10 pm
I enjoyed it. I think his point was his battle, not a perfect solution. It was thought provoking and honest. Hence the title.

Marion

Post Fri, Jan 25 2008, 2:04 am
I read it as a teen...and still don't see the problem. Yeah, if you grow up Catholic, Yoshke is going to be a predominant fixture in that household. And yeah, if you write about what's wrong with Catholicism, you're going to have to talk about him and why you couldn't relate to him (notice the small "h" on him...it's intentional).

I think that those of you who are disappointed were expecting a different kind of book.

mimivan

Post Fri, Jan 25 2008, 2:57 am
I have to agree with Marion about this (and in my opinion, it also applies to Tova Mordechai)

They were both describing the darkness and confusion from which they had emerged...so you can't very well do that without touching on the subject of why.

We are allowed to discuss idols if the purpose is ultimately to disparage them...at least that is what I learned.

I also was under the impression that Tova Mordechai received a beracha from the Rebbe. Feel free to correct me if I"m wrong.

However, I confess I've never been able to get through all of Tova's book...It is too much for me sometimes...but I would not criticize her for describing her life...the fault I believe does not lie with her.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Jan 25 2008, 10:35 am
mimivan wrote:
..but I would not criticize her for describing her life....

It's not so much "me criticizing her life", as "me not wanting to read tht much about Yushke" !!!!

mimivan

Post Sat, Jan 26 2008, 3:51 pm
It didn't seem that she was writing about Yoshke, but about what life was like in that horrible seminary or whatever it was.

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Jan 26 2008, 6:21 pm
mimivan wrote:
It didn't seem that she was writing about Yoshke, but about what life was like in that horrible seminary or whatever it was.

IIRC, it was FULL of Yushke and fasting ....

mimivan

Post Sat, Jan 26 2008, 7:26 pm
well, from what I recall, she wasn't exactly singing his praises..

I guess it really depends on how you look at it...

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Jan 26 2008, 7:55 pm
Praises notwithstanding, I didn't find her book fun to read, and isn't that the point of a book ?

mimivan

Post Sun, Jan 27 2008, 12:23 am
Well, I agree with you on that! Wink
As I said, I"ve only read it in phases and cannot get through it cover to cover in one go , because it is so "heavy" emotionally

mama-star

Post Wed, Mar 05 2008, 7:55 pm
I also read "turbulent souls" and didn't enjoy it so much.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room