Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets
Any parrot owners on Imamother?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 9:23 pm
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
Thank you. Quick google searches led me to that conclusion, which is why we're considering it..

I like that you said the mess is restricted to the cage area...have you ever tried potyy training yours to go only in the cage? Ive read its possible but not sure how difficult it is ...

We keep wet wipes handy but its only sometimes outside of the cage. Training is great if you have a dedicated person willing to put the time in.

midiskirts

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 8:43 am
We've been thinking of getting a cockatiel...elementary school aged kids, no real pet experience, though everyone is begging for a pet.
Would you recommend it?

If you're able, try to get one from a breeder - breeders will usually hand-raise babies, making them friendlier and tamer than pet store birds.

Also, if you're looking at a cockatiel, just be aware they are "dusty" - they shed a white powder coating their feathers. This is a quality found in Old World birds (birds originally from Africa/Australia - e.g. cockatoos, parakeets, cockatiels). Dustiness might stir up sensitivities in people with allergies. Anecdotally, I've heard that people get around this by giving their birds frequent baths.

Keep in mind that, given the right diet, birds live for a long time! Cockatiels can live 16-25 years in captivity, with some even living into their thirties! This was a big pro for me when looking at pets.

If you're looking for more resources, I would highly recommend checking out Avian Avenue (a great forum for pet birds) and BirdTricks on Youtube (a really knowledgeable bird trainer in the US).

midiskirts

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 8:49 am
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
We sprout for the human family members regularly but somebody eats like a picky toddler, or should I say, a bird? No sale.

It takes us lots of time and patience to get new foods to go.

Ooof, I definitely feel that. It was a big challenge to wean our parakeet off of the seed diet she'd been eating, and we'd tried everything! Ultimately what worked was jealousy - she saw our conure happily munching sweet potato and peas and immediately decided she wanted in. Very, very entertaining to watch.

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 10:17 am
They are like having a toddler forever Very Happy (at least with the big birds 60-80 years!!). Picky, jealous, need plenty of attention and things to do...

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 10:33 am
We have an eclectus parrot. She is really beautiful.
We have her for about a year and a half. She loves dh the most. Sometimes if feels likes we are taking care of a 3 yr old. On Pesach we feed her rice, millet, and vegetables.

moonstone

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 11:11 am
MrsDash wrote:
Love, love, love this thread!

My Caique is my baby. I got her when she was about 2 weeks old, and handfed her for over 5 months. She's the weirdest little thing too! Go on youtube and look up caiques and you'll see what I'm talking about Rolling Laughter

Oh, those are cute birds! With such fun personalities!

Scotty

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 11:30 am
We love our parrotlet and parakeet (separate cages!!) but I don’t think I would have gotten them as babies because it makes me sad to know that neither of them will have a normal mating cycle or have babies (we got the parrotlet when he was already about 8, too old to introduce a mate, and besides egg laying is complicated and dangerous I hear and certainly beyond my skill set.) that being said we love having the pets other people have passed on to us!
Training is a lot of work. Keeping the cage clean is work. Getting a non-seed based diet is work. Make sure you are ready to commit!
Our parakeet is traumatized but is slowly acclimating and feeling happier and safe. Our parrotlet is a devil and so much fun! We keep him free range in the house and it’s always exciting!
I feed them Tops micro pellets and veggie chop in the morning, then some seed mix in the afternoon as a treat. I’ve tried sprouting but have to try again. Our parakeet resolutely refuses to eat chop but finally eats pellets, so that’s a win.
My kids are desperate to get a caique but my husband is adamant that it’s either him or another bird 😂

MrsDash

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 12:44 pm
This was 2 week old baby caique Smile

MrsDash

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 12:47 pm
This is 11 month old Caique - Today Smile

MrsDash

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 12:50 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Yay! You're back!

For some reason, I've been thinking a lot about you lately. You must have gotten my messages. LOL

Thanks for the warm welcome! Very Happy I knew my ears were ringing for a reason LOL

MrsDash

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 1:21 pm
My Caique is a hoot! She hops and talks, and is just all around silly.

She is crazy in love with water! Did the mistake of doing dishes with her on my head, she dove right into the pouring tap and began dancing like a nut.

What's mine is hers, what's yours is hers, everything pretty much belongs to the caique these days. I can't even eat around her, she steals my food, hops aways, and does an evil laugh, as she rips apart whatever I was eating.

I've got a lot of t-shirts with 'love-nibble' holes (and poopy stains!). Went out, bought her a nice expensive toy, and by the end of the day it was completely destroyed, and she was already onto her next destruction of some random thing in the cage.

She's hardly ever in her cage. If I'm not playing with her, then the kids have her somewhere in the house. Not to mention catching my husband who "hates" animals, playing with her too!

The cats are terrified. She literally charges towards them to give a nice little nip, without being provoked either. She especially loves biting the cats tails when they're very much asleep.

She eats and poops a LOT! I always keep tissues handy because of her poop bombs. She has no regard for her own kind either. Eat a chicken nugget with her around, and, well, you don't have that chicken nugget anymore.

But with all of the 'princess' caique shenanigans, she is so darn adorable, and lovable.

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 1:23 pm
Anyone here use the Avian Fashions Flightsuit?

miami85

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 2:01 pm
Only my 3 year-old

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 2:14 pm
midiskirts wrote:
If you're able, try to get one from a breeder - breeders will usually hand-raise babies, making them friendlier and tamer than pet store birds.

Also, if you're looking at a cockatiel, just be aware they are "dusty" - they shed a white powder coating their feathers. This is a quality found in Old World birds (birds originally from Africa/Australia - e.g. cockatoos, parakeets, cockatiels). Dustiness might stir up sensitivities in people with allergies. Anecdotally, I've heard that people get around this by giving their birds frequent baths.

Keep in mind that, given the right diet, birds live for a long time! Cockatiels can live 16-25 years in captivity, with some even living into their thirties! This was a big pro for me when looking at pets.

If you're looking for more resources, I would highly recommend checking out Avian Avenue (a great forum for pet birds) and BirdTricks on Youtube (a really knowledgeable bird trainer in the US).

Thank you so much!

midiskirts

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 2:29 pm
MrsDash wrote:
My Caique is a hoot! She hops and talks, and is just all around silly.

She is crazy in love with water! Did the mistake of doing dishes with her on my head, she dove right into the pouring tap and began dancing like a nut.

What's mine is hers, what's yours is hers, everything pretty much belongs to the caique these days. I can't even eat around her, she steals my food, hops aways, and does an evil laugh, as she rips apart whatever I was eating.

I've got a lot of t-shirts with 'love-nibble' holes (and poopy stains!). Went out, bought her a nice expensive toy, and by the end of the day it was completely destroyed, and she was already onto her next destruction of some random thing in the cage.

She's hardly ever in her cage. If I'm not playing with her, then the kids have her somewhere in the house. Not to mention catching my husband who "hates" animals, playing with her too!

The cats are terrified. She literally charges towards them to give a nice little nip, without being provoked either. She especially loves biting the cats tails when they're very much asleep.

She eats and poops a LOT! I always keep tissues handy because of her poop bombs. She has no regard for her own kind either. Eat a chicken nugget with her around, and, well, you don't have that chicken nugget anymore.

But with all of the 'princess' caique shenanigans, she is so darn adorable, and lovable.

I am CRACKING UP, she sounds hilarious! And she's SUCH an adorable little bird. I love to hear that she's out of her cage so often! Have you trained her to do any tricks?

Also, curious about flying: I feel like I see loads of caique hopping/walking videos, but I actually don't think I've ever seen them flying. Does she prefer to stay grounded, or is the prance just irresistible for owners to film and post?

midiskirts

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 2:33 pm
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
Anyone here use the Avian Fashions Flightsuit?

We got the Avianweb Bird Harness for our first conure (https://www.etsy.com/shop/Avianweb?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=642433096), but we didn't expose her to it early enough and she never took to it. Definitely going to correct that with our next bird!

midiskirts

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 2:37 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
We have an eclectus parrot. She is really beautiful.
We have her for about a year and a half. She loves dh the most. Sometimes if feels likes we are taking care of a 3 yr old. On Pesach we feed her rice, millet, and vegetables.

Ekkies are so gorgeous! I definitely share the pain of having birds prefer dh, but happily I get my share of attention while he's working (or while washing dishes, which immediately signals bath time Very Happy ).

MrsDash

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 3:56 pm
midiskirts wrote:
I am CRACKING UP, she sounds hilarious! And she's SUCH an adorable little bird. I love to hear that she's out of her cage so often! Have you trained her to do any tricks?

Also, curious about flying: I feel like I see loads of caique hopping/walking videos, but I actually don't think I've ever seen them flying. Does she prefer to stay grounded, or is the prance just irresistible for owners to film and post?

Caiques love to be the center of attention. Mine will pretty much only fly if something (or someone!) is too high or too far. For the most part, she likes walking around, running, rolling, and hopping everywhere. LOL

midiskirts

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 4:54 pm
Thank you so much!

I would also suggest looking into green cheek or pyrrhura conures - also quieter birds, similar care to cockatiels, and tremendously cuddly (which might work well for excited kids).

midiskirts

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 4:56 pm
MrsDash wrote:
Caiques love to be the center of attention. Mine will pretty much only fly if something (or someone!) is too high or too far. For the most part, she likes walking around, running, rolling, and hopping everywhere. LOL

Awww, I love it! Have you ever travelled with her?
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets