Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
When do you name a baby girl (BT help)

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 4:58 pm
How does it work? When do you tell people? How does the naming work in shul?
Thank you!

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 5:00 pm
The first time there's kriyas hatorah- Monday, Thursday, or Shabbos.

DH gets an aliyah and says her name in a mi shebeirach

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 5:02 pm
It's done whenever the Torah is read. So that's Monday, Thursday, Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, or Yom Tov. The father, or someone on behalf, gets an Aliya and they will make the mi sheberach and use her name for the misheberach.

amother
Azure

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 5:02 pm
In shul, your husband can be called to the Torah for an aliyah: Monday, Thursday, or shabbos. After the aliyah there is a misheberach and that's when baby is named. After that, you tell people.
Traditionally, but not necessarily the same time, a celebratory kiddush is held either in shul or sometimes at home in honor of your daughter.
Mazal tov

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 5:04 pm
Thank you so much everyone!

simcha2

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 5:04 pm
A girl is named when there is kriat haworth. So normally a Monday, Thursday or Shabbat (but could also be yom tov or Rosh Chodesh).

Your husband would tell the Gabbai that he had a daughter and wants to name her.

He is given an aliyah, and during the special mi sh'berach after he names her.

We are told that while within 3 days of birth is ideal, there is also a inyan to wait for Shabbat because of the extra kedusha.

There is a strong minhag to make a kiddush for the birth of a girl, but it doesn't have to be when she is named.

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 5:15 pm
You don't have to make the kiddush right away, so there's less pressure for you. We made ours when baby was 4 mos old but that's a little extreme. embarrassed Most people do it within the first few weeks.

amother
Mint

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 6:30 pm
You can ask a Rav but we were told that since we made a kiddush (small just for men in the Shul) that Shabbos, we were able to wait to name Shabbos and did not need to do at the first opportunity that there would be Kriyas Hatorah in Shul during the week.

pause

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 11:16 pm
We wait till the first Shabbos to name the baby and make a kiddush for men in shul.

essie14

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 3:55 am
My DD was born on a Wed so DH named her on Thursday, as we wanted to be able to tell everyone the name ASAP.
It would have been nice to wait til Shabbat because I was home by then and I could have gone to shul as well, but we decided not to wait.
It's fairly common in my circles for the mom to be at the naming so some people wait til the 2nd or 3rd Torah reading after the birth.

Elfrida

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 5:25 am
Some people also wait an extra few days to do it in Shabbos or Rosh Chodesh or some special occasion. Others do t have a name ready, and they might wait a little to get to know her and find out what her name is. It doesn't have to be immediately, but try not to wait more than a week or two.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names