Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Books for 10 year old girl
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Reality

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 8:27 pm
I was also an avid reader at that age. My parents bought a set of over 20 condensed classics. I would read them over and over again. As I got older I read the full versions of many if not most of those books.

flower2

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 8:32 pm
She can read the classics. Obv you will have to decide what has too much romance, but they are definitely more advanced reading. I wouldn't do abridged versions though- she should read the originals.
Also check out the Mensa kids reading lists for 4-6th and 7-8th grade.

Last edited by flower2 on Thu, May 13 2021, 8:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

Reality

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 8:37 pm
flower2 wrote:
She can read the classics. Obv you will have to decide what has too much romance, but they are definitely more advanced reading. I wouldn't do abridged versions though- she should read the originals.

Why not? At 10 I wasn't going to read the entire Three Musketeers. But I loved the story. I had the readers digest condensed series so it was the original language but some unimportant chapters to the story were omitted. In my teens I read the real version.

Reality

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 8:40 pm
Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass

Peter Pan

Mary Poppins (very different from the movie)

The Wizard of Oz

The Jungle Book

Summer of the Swans

flower2

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 8:47 pm
Reality wrote:
Why not? At 10 I wasn't going to read the entire Three Musketeers. But I loved the story. I had the readers digest condensed series so it was the original language but some unimportant chapters to the story were omitted. In my teens I read the real version.

Because this kid is bored by many books that are age appropriate through middle school/already read them at age 7-8 per OP's posts. So she should either expand her interests as far as genre or challenge herself to read more difficult and/or longer books.
I was very similar at that age (except I loved Fantasy and mysteries so I had a lot more to work with) and the only book I ever started that I couldn't/didn't want to finish was Les Miserables (not that I even looked at it until high school).

#BestBubby

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 8:49 pm
Ballet Shoes and other Shoe books by Noel Streatfeld

Reality

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 8:54 pm
flower2 wrote:
Because this kid is bored by many books that are age appropriate through middle school/already read them at age 7-8 per OP's posts. So she should either expand her interests as far as genre or challenge herself to read more difficult and/or longer books.
I was very similar at that age (except I loved Fantasy and mysteries so I had a lot more to work with) and the only book I ever started that I couldn't/didn't want to finish was Les Miserables (not that I even looked at it until high school).

Lol! I loved Les Miserables! My waterloo was Moby d!ck!!

Reality

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 8:54 pm
And I forgot about the imamother censor!! Agg!!

Last edited by Reality on Thu, May 13 2021, 11:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 8:59 pm
The great brain series by John d Fitzgerald
The redwall series by Brian Jacques
What abt the agatha Christie mysteries? I know she doesn’t like mystery but she might like these with detective hercule poirot I read when I was 11.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 10:19 pm
Have you looked into the books by Haddix?

librarylady

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 11:04 pm
librarygirl wrote:
If you're looking for more mature, Lauren work has 3 excellent clean historical fiction books.
Listen to the moon by morpurgo
The mighty miss Malone by Christopher Paul Curtis.
Mr. Max series by Cynthia Voight
Front desk series by yang.

Just a note that the Front desk series does have some not-so-subtle anti-conservative agenda. The story is really good but I would have liked it better if that wasn't such a huge part of the plot and it wasn't presented so black and white.

I would also try Henry Clark's books: What we found in the sofa and how it saved the world; what we found in the corn maze and how it saved a dragon (there is also another, "the book that proves time travel happens" but it has a significant amount of weirdness including cross-dressing that you might not be interested in) - they are not so well known so maybe she hasn't read them yet. I wouldn't say they are fantasy, more sci-fi.

amother
Slateblue

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 7:26 am
Eva ibbotson- Journey to the River Sea, the Star of Kazan and Dragonfly Pool ) All her books are great- these are the ones without magic
Margaret Peterson Haddix- her "Among The Hidden" series, Running out of Time (Make sure you only get the kid ones- some of her teen books are quite dark)
The Mixed-up Files of Ms. Basil E. Frankweiller
The Westing Game
The Septimus Heap series and accompanying TodHunter Moon series by Angie Sage (These do have magic, but it's much more of an aside rather than a plotline)

theoneandonly

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 8:22 am
Redwall series by Brian Jacques
Animorphs series by k a Applegate
Most of the books by Avi
Walk two moons, I don't remember the author
The westing game
A series of unfortunate events
10 yo ds just started the secret series and loves it but I never read it

theoneandonly

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 8:24 am
Anything by Gerald Morris. He retells Arthurian legends in a hilarious, reader friendly way

amother
Slateblue

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 8:24 am
Oh also A Series of Unfortunate Events
A Whole Nother Story series
The Wolves of Willoughby Chase series (dark)

librarygirl

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 8:29 am
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
Eva ibbotson- Journey to the River Sea, the Star of Kazan and Dragonfly Pool ) All her books are great- these are the ones without magic
Margaret Peterson Haddix- her "Among The Hidden" series, Running out of Time (Make sure you only get the kid ones- some of her teen books are quite dark)
The Mixed-up Files of Ms. Basil E. Frankweiller
The Westing Game
The Septimus Heap series and accompanying TodHunter Moon series by Angie Sage (These do have magic, but it's much more of an aside rather than a plotline)

Yes! The ibbitson books are great!!

Disagree with septimus heap if she doesn't like fantasy.

librarygirl

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 8:31 am
librarylady wrote:
Just a note that the Front desk series does have some not-so-subtle anti-conservative agenda. The story is really good but I would have liked it better if that wasn't such a huge part of the plot and it wasn't presented so black and white.

I would also try Henry Clark's books: What we found in the sofa and how it saved the world; what we found in the corn maze and how it saved a dragon (there is also another, "the book that proves time travel happens" but it has a significant amount of weirdness including cross-dressing that you might not be interested in) - they are not so well known so maybe she hasn't read them yet. I wouldn't say they are fantasy, more sci-fi.

If by anti-conservative you mean pro immigration, yes. I don't think anything clashes with Torah values.

amother
Cerise

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 10:51 am
Saddle Club series
7 Wonders series

OOTforlife

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 12:02 pm
Not OP, but this is a great thread and I'm keeping it bookmarked for my own kids. Thank you all!

Reality

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 12:29 pm
Another really good series is the Tillerman Cycle. It's 7 books by Cynthia Voigt. The first book is called Homecoming.

I didn't recommend before because I thought it might be a drop mature for OP's daughter thematically. But if others are enjoying the recommendations as well....
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room