Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
Can't have dairy on Shavuos thread
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 12:08 pm
I went off dairy to nurse my fussy baby. I don't regret it, he's so much happier now. But that means no cheesecake on Shavuos!! Crying Crying Misery loves company. Anyone who can't have dairy this Shavuos (or ever) this is your place to vent (and swap Pareve recipes). Smile

amother
Amber

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 12:17 pm
Last year I had 00000 cheesecake since it seemed to effect me terribly after having covid.

It wasn’t terrible. Cheesecake is delicious but it’s not like you can’t NEVER have it again!!

Motherhood

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 12:29 pm
I did it twice already. I think I remember cheating a bit, but not much. This year, I’ll try to give my baby a bit of gripe water before and after the cheesecake and hope for the best

Cheiny

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 12:32 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I went off dairy to nurse my fussy baby. I don't regret it, he's so much happier now. But that means no cheesecake on Shavuos!! Crying Crying Misery loves company. Anyone who can't have dairy this Shavuos (or ever) this is your place to vent (and swap Pareve recipes). Smile

The pareve cheesecakes are actually delish and you can’t even tell the difference!

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 12:36 pm
Motherhood wrote:
I did it twice already. I think I remember cheating a bit, but not much. This year, I’ll try to give my baby a bit of gripe water before and after the cheesecake and hope for the best

I’m also off dairy for my baby. I ate something that I usually don’t eat and I forgot that it’s really a lot of dairy. I stopped when I realized but it was already too late. I didn’t think it would be a big deal but my baby was so fussy and in a lot of pain. I don’t think it’s worth it to risk it and have a miserable yom Tov.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 12:37 pm
We have friends where the husband and his mother (who usually goes to them for the chag) are deathly allergic to dairy. So for them they have fleishig and the wife makes a cheese cake for her and her kids Smile

Rachel Shira

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 12:42 pm
I’ve done it before. The cheesecake isn’t the problem, parve ones are just as good to me. It’s the rest of the yummy milchig food that I miss.

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 12:43 pm
There are recipes for parve cheesecake that don't taste chemical or gross. I've made a few good ones. Unfortunately I'm terrible at saving recipes so I'm on the hunt all over again.

I'm off dairy at the moment too. We usually eat all fleishig meals this YT anyhow, so it's really just the cheesecake I buy for before lunch that I'll be missing out on. I'd feel much worse if I were missing out on dairy pastas, blintzes, soufflés, quiches, etc. while watching everyone else enjoy themselves.

ra_mom

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 1:05 pm
It's doable. I did it for many years with a hybrid menu.
Blintzes (a few homemade parve and store bought dairy)
Cream of broccoli or asparagus soup (parve)
Salmon
Green beans
Fettuccine with 2 servers of warm sauce (parve and dairy)
Caesar salad (optional parm add in)
Parve lemon pie and dairy cheesecake

zaq

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 1:17 pm
You should be able to find vegan substitutes for many dairy products.

amother
Gold

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 1:19 pm
ra_mom wrote:
It's doable. I did it for many years with a hybrid menu.
Blintzes (a few homemade parve and store bought dairy)
Cream of broccoli or asparagus soup (parve)
Salmon
Green beans
Fettuccine with 2 servers of warm sauce (parve and dairy)
Caesar salad (optional parm add in)
Parve lemon pie and dairy cheesecake
How did you make the parve fettuccine sauce?

amother
Gold

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 1:19 pm
Wayfare products make delicious cheesecakes.

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 10:09 am
amother [ Gold ] wrote:

Please can you post ra-mom?
I'd love the recipe too, have a child who has recently been told she cant eat dairy, and I want to try make food she will enjoy too.

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 11:27 am
I was off of dairy for years due to nursing kids with dairy allergies. I'm currently on limited dairy due to health.

I made a lot of pareve. Pareve cheesecake. Pareve melted cheese to make calzones, mac and cheese etc. You may have to change your menu, but there is a lot more out there now than there was 17 years ago when I first went off of dairy.

jstanothermothe

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 1:22 pm
I made pareve cheesecake for lactose intolerant DH last year and was so good!! I used a cashew based one. you can find many recipes online for cashew vegan cheesecake. really good, recommended

ra_mom

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 1:24 pm
amother [ Gold ] wrote:

Alfredo for dairy and pesto for parve.
Or just make roasted red pepper sauce, half dairy and half parve (so it's all similar).

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 3:09 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Alfredo for dairy and pesto for parve.
Or just make roasted red pepper sauce, half dairy and half parve (so it's all similar).

Thanks.
Do you have a good recipe for roasted red pepper sauce?

ra_mom

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 3:11 pm
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
Thanks.
Do you have a good recipe for roasted red pepper sauce?

Use heavy cream for the dairy sauce.
https://tasty.co/amp/recipe/ve.....auce/
Avocado or parve cream for the parve.

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 3:16 pm
I'm allergic to dairy and gluten. I was diagnosed with my allergies the beginning of last year. My favorite foods in the world is dairy pasta and cheese.

Last Shavuos every item on my mil's table was dairy or gluten. I made myself a salad and she (subconsciously) sprinkled cheese on top.

Later while stuffing her face she turns to me and says. "You're so lucky, you won't be having a stomach ache later"

This year her daughter's new husband is allergic to dairy. Anyone care to guess how many dairy free options she's making this year?

PinkFridge

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 6:04 pm
There's a KBD choc cheesecake, I think KBD Entertains?, that's delicious with Tofutti cream cheese.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics