Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
My toddler throws up when she gets upset!

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 11:21 am
Anyone have this?

Whenever my 20 month old gets upset (I.e. when I walk away from her crib while putting her to sleep) she throws herself up.

It's starting to become a daily thing and I'm at my wits end!

Anyone had such a thing? How to deal with it?

Any advice would be appreciated.....

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 10:14 pm
anyone??

#BestBubby

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 10:18 pm
I heard of this.

Don't give in because of this or it will re-inforce the behavior - like tantrum throwing.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 10:25 pm
I hear....

What would you do though?
Like when she does it in her crib... Clean it up and then what?

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 10:31 pm
My daughter used to do this (she's 5 and still does it occasionally). I just clean her off and try to calm her down. It's annoying.
Sometimes if I see her getting worked up and that it may happen I'd try to prevent it.

amother
Violet

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 10:35 pm
My 20 month old son does this a lot I bought the chucks they use in hospitals and nursing homes from amazon and put in his crib kinda like a thick flat sheet like this its easier to clean up.

amother
Olive

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 11:02 pm
I had a niece who used to do this. At the end they one night had to let her sleep with the throw up for her to learn that throwing up doesn’t make you come back. BH it did the trick but its not fun

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 11:05 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
I had a niece who used to do this. At the end they one night had to let her sleep with the throw up for her to learn that throwing up doesn’t make you come back. BH it did the trick but its not fun

Ohmy.... I can't see myself doing that......

amother
Olive

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 11:07 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Ohmy.... I can't see myself doing that......

Then I would say to clean up and not engage at all with her and walk out as soon as you done the clean up. She is basically doing it to get your attention, if you stop giving it she hopefully won’t do it anymore.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 11:08 pm
ok, thanks for ur advice!

Will try it next time and see

amother
Hotpink

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 12:45 am
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
Then I would say to clean up and not engage at all with her and walk out as soon as you done the clean up. She is basically doing it to get your attention, if you stop giving it she hopefully won’t do it anymore.

This

I’m sorry you are going through this, it’s really not fun. It’s hard to clean up so often without a word or reaction but eventually it will get better.

amother
Blush

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 1:53 am
My DD did this when she was a toddler. She is now a well adjusted 17 year old.
I do not believe she made herself throw up as much as she had a gag reaction and vomited when she got to a certain point of crying and being worked up. It was especially active if we had salmon for dinner.
Honestly, I stopped serving her salmon for dinner and gave it at lunchtime instead. Furthermore, I was proactive to not let her get that upset so that we didn’t have the power struggle or her vomiting. After about 2 months she outgrew it and it was a thing of the past.

amother
Peach

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 3:22 am
My toddler does this. He doesn't like his (beautiful, comfortable) crib. He also does it other times when he's upset.

Usually, he's either very tired from all the crying and vomiting, so I clean up and put him back in the crib. Or I give up and let him sleep in my bed. 🤷

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 7:31 am
I think that originally it's unintentional. They get upset to the point of crying hard, and it triggers the vomit reflex. Then they get pampered and babied and taken into mommy's bed.

After a few times of this, they realize that vomiting = comfort and mommy's bed. Kids are very smart, and they understand cause and effect. They may not be able to articulate it at that age, but that's how things can quickly become a habit.

It's up to you to break the "reward" cycle, so that things will get back into control. Just be aware that whenever you set a new boundary, it will get worse before it gets better. Your child will tantrum, scream, and protest a LOT. That's how you know a boundary is registering in their minds.

Eventually they will get used to the boundary, and realize that you are not going to change your mind no matter how often they vomit (or throw things, or bang their heads, or whatever).

You'll find that the tantrums and vomiting were a sign of insecurity. Children with boundaries always feel safer, more secure, and happier once they adjust.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics