Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Very interesting ads in Monsey Community Connection
1  2  Next

southernbubby

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 10:07 pm
There was a 2 page spread of Covid careful minyonim with what looks like a paragraph reminding people to be sensitive to careful people, even if you feel like they are wrong. I am sure that the list is useful for people who either can't or won't be vaccinated and who never had the infection. Nevertheless, it gives the impression that careful people simply don't know better.(page 214-215)
Page 216-217 is the ad for Camp Hikon where age 8 is listed as "junior high". Maybe it's a typo but this $3,300 for 3 weeks of survival skills is still seeking a girl's division head staff. It's not unusual for camps to still be hiring counselors but this place is probably looking for someone who shares the POV that "top doctors" have declared the Covid vaccine as a bio terror weapon and that it's dangerous to share a bunk with a person who is vaccinated.
Basically the campers will come home afraid of hugging grandma, who is of course vaccinated, because she is now a dangerous vector of a bio terrorism agent.
So good luck to them because it's great to have survival skills but the potential staff might be a bit elusive.

Blessing1

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 10:30 pm
I don't see any mention of the covid vaccine in the camp advertisement.
And the list of covid safe minyanim isn't weird either. They don't censor or make up their advertisements, everyone can put in whatever they want.

southernbubby

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 10:45 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
And the list of covid safe minyanim isn't weird either. They don't censor or make up their advertisements, everyone can put in whatever they want.

The camp has a website that explains about the vaccine and the website is listed on the ad.
Read the paragraph before the list. It says that they don't know better.
The list itself isn't weird.
I realize that nobody censors these ads but that paragraph gave the impression that special sensitivity was needed for those who davened in the Covid careful minyonim.

trixx

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 11:06 pm
If you want to nitpick ads, I have a problem with the Jewish magazines printing ads from organizations promising the vaccine is safe (though literally no one knows that yet) including for pregnant, breastfeeding women with no effect on fertitilty (again an empty promise)

thunderstorm

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 11:21 pm
Nothing to do with the ad the OP mentioned, but my son brought to our attention that the Community Connectiond had a classified last week for a free giveaway of a used plunger and toilet brush. Talk about an interesting ad.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 11:24 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
Nothing to do with the ad the OP mentioned, but my son brought to our attention that the Community Connectiond had a classified last week for a free giveaway of a used plunger and toilet brush. Talk about an interesting ad.

😂 😂 😂 😂 😂

Ema of 5

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 11:25 pm
southernbubby wrote:
There was a 2 page spread of Covid careful minyonim with what looks like a paragraph reminding people to be sensitive to careful people, even if you feel like they are wrong. I am sure that the list is useful for people who either can't or won't be vaccinated and who never had the infection. Nevertheless, it gives the impression that careful people simply don't know better.(page 214-215)
Page 216-217 is the ad for Camp Hikon where age 8 is listed as "junior high". Maybe it's a typo but this $3,300 for 3 weeks of survival skills is still seeking a girl's division head staff. It's not unusual for camps to still be hiring counselors but this place is probably looking for someone who shares the POV that "top doctors" have declared the Covid vaccine as a bio terror weapon and that it's dangerous to share a bunk with a person who is vaccinated.
Basically the campers will come home afraid of hugging grandma, who is of course vaccinated, because she is now a dangerous vector of a bio terrorism agent.
So good luck to them because it's great to have survival skills but the potential staff might be a bit elusive.

If grandma is vaccinated, they may not be interested in this camp anyway. Maybe grandma feels the same way they do, and isn’t vaccinated.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 11:26 pm
Blessing1 wrote:

If they don’t censor ads, how do they make sure not to print ads with pictures of women and girls?

southernbubby

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 11:28 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
If grandma is vaccinated, they may not be interested in this camp anyway. Maybe grandma feels the same way they do, and isn’t vaccinated.

And maybe she is rich enough to pay for it!
After all, she gets to tell her friends that her 8 year old grandchild is in junior high!

southernbubby

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 11:28 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
If they don’t censor ads, how do they make sure not to print ads with pictures of women and girls?

Great point!

southernbubby

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 11:30 pm
thunderstorm wrote:

Wow, when I move that gives me an idea! Nerd

southernbubby

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 11:32 pm
trixx wrote:
If you want to nitpick ads, I have a problem with the Jewish magazines printing ads from organizations promising the vaccine is safe (though literally no one knows that yet) including for pregnant, breastfeeding women with no effect on fertitilty (again an empty promise)

I don't think that anyone should be making promises but those ads are not interesting.

Blessing1

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 11:44 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:

Because they follow Rabbinical and community guidelines.

Sprinkles1

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 12:42 am
thunderstorm wrote:

It was still there this week, I guess there were no takers, how surprising! Wink
They were also offering half bottles of soap!

Ema of 5

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 1:16 am
Blessing1 wrote:
Because they follow Rabbinical and community guidelines.

I understand that. I wasn’t asking why. I was asking how, practically, they make sure that nothing seemed inappropriate is going in, if they’re not censoring.

mom2mysouls

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 1:35 am
thunderstorm wrote:

They also had a classified ad Woman Shaving Boys now...

And how about the four pages against wigs bc of the tragedy...

meme6

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 3:59 am
thunderstorm wrote:

My daughter saw that and it seems like it was a major discussion in her class this week lol

southernbubby

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 7:53 am
meme6 wrote:
My daughter saw that and it seems like it was a major discussion in her class this week lol

I can't find the free plunger ad. Is it in the Connections or the View?

southernbubby

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 7:56 am
mom2mysouls wrote:
They also had a classified ad Woman Shaving Boys now...

And how about the four pages against wigs bc of the tragedy...

It looks like they are against a particular type of wig and I haven't seen many women wear that type. Maybe I just don't hang out in the neighborhood where women are buying lace wigs.

southernbubby

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 8:06 am
It's also interesting that Camp Hikon has a second ad on page 336 stating that they are moving out of NYS due to a "hostile regulatory environment created by A2681 and the governor's thinly veiled threat to close down Camp Hikon" (taken word for word from the ad).
They are opening a girls division because of "the impossibly gratifying nationwide response". I suppose that there is a real market for someone who can persuade an 8 year old to eat something that gives "natural dietary immunity".
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics