Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Need the number of "what is done" hotline
Previous  1  2

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 7:59 am
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
Same here! I'm wearing clothes from 5 years ago, that aren't in the best shape. And I just don't care.

But my kids need brand new up to date clothes every season. I need them to look cute and put together.

This is such bad chinuch. Mom should be dressed before kids. I know lots of people do this but I think it's a symptom of us crazy Americans. You don't see this in other countries.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 10:03 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
I am a SAHM and rarely get out so I rarely know. I usually feel out-of-date. Because I show up to the one simcha I have that season and see that they’re mostly all wearing xyz.
Recently I started going shopping and strolling more on the main streets, and you can pick up a lot in a day of out and about.
Also, I watch my young-married neighbors. I know almost every single item is fashionable and current and chosen with intent according to style.

Yes!! I'm like you, also a SAHM no teens yet!!
Maybe I should go stroll back and forth on 13th Avenue...
How do the people on 13th know when shopping before the season? Will everyone still wear sneaker shoes? Or is it shoe or reg sneakers this season? Are sheitels still straight and one length or is there some new style.

For the people saying to shop local then you know, I actually went to a popular sheitel macher and paid a lot of money, a few months ago and she sold me a layered wig!! I then realized that everyone is wearing one length! If I spent the money and bought something new why shouldn't it be up to date?

And it's not only clothing.... I like to be up to date and love doing something new! Question is where do I find out!!
It's like, I'll be the one that notices on everyone's Instagram after Shavous that for ex. Oh pastel colored flowers are out and now very bright rainbow colors are what's in.... or that everyone made easy cheesy xxxx and no bake cheesecake oh my God! That's so nebby and old.... lol

I know it might sound silly to a lot of you but maybe some of you get it.

Crookshanks

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 5:31 am
I totally totally get it. When I was a teenager I felt like everyone else had a secret handbook that I didn't get...Life is easier for me now since I do my own shopping and I've grown enough to buy things I like instead of only what's in style. It's still hard occasionally though.

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 6:00 am
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
This is such bad chinuch. Mom should be dressed before kids. I know lots of people do this but I think it's a symptom of us crazy Americans. You don't see this in other countries.

I don’t need my kids to be in style but I do need their clothes to fit. Kids grow BH from season to season and year to year; I don’t. That’s the reason my kids gets clothes every season and I don’t. For them it’s a necessity for me it’s a luxury

pause

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 8:09 pm
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
Same here! I'm wearing clothes from 5 years ago, that aren't in the best shape. And I just don't care.

But my kids need brand new up to date clothes every season. I need them to look cute and put together.

It bothers me a lot to see this. Kids dressed up to the nines like they are their mother's playthings, while the mother herself looks neglected. If a person cares about "looks" they should not be ignoring themselves. Take care of yourself. For your self-dignity. What you wear and how you look says as much about you as the way your kids look.

(I'm not talking about older kids or teens who already know to care. I'm talking about little katchkes...)

amother
Coral

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 8:18 pm
Do you have friends or sisters? Or neighbors you shmooze with? That's really where a lot of the finding out gets done. Clothing is easy- it's whatever they're selling in the frum stores. Other stuff is word of mouth. Sheitels is tricky- I find a lot of dishonesty can happen there... Sad
(Speaking as a person who completely doesn't care about these things and is not in the know.)

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 8:28 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Well... meanwhile I dont have teens yet!!
So til then how do I find out what "everyone" already knows?

You can borrow my preteen. She’s great at “you can’t wear that” and she even picks out clothing for her little sister too.

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 8:29 pm
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
1-888-YOUR-TEEN

For a mere $10 a minute, she will tell you that everything you're doing and wearing is wrong.

Mine does it for free :-)

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 8:36 pm
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:

I get most of my clothes from friends, things they are giving away, but I only take things in good condition.
I buy new for my kids every season because my husband has OCD and will not let me take from anyone, even family. Truth is though, my preteen is so picky she doesn’t like most things from family members (they are yeshivish and chassidish, we are neither) and my little one is a bigger size than the kids younger than her. The kids older than her are passing their clothes to their younger siblings, so there’s nothing really for her anyway. My same gender kids are too many years apart and are different sizes- meaning, for example, my little girl is now bigger than her older sister was at this age- so the clothes from the older ones don’t fit the younger ones. I wish I didn’t have to buy new every year....
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics