Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
What is cobalt in?

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 7:47 pm
Dd is allergic. We checked her shampoo and conditioner and soap. The doctor says the test results show she is being exposed, to enough if a level that it would show up on the ingredient list. No makeup, earrings are sterling silver. She doesn't paint regularly, and doesn't take B12. Ideas?

Rutabaga

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 7:51 pm
A quick Google search suggests eyeglasses and cell phones may contain cobalt:

https://health.clevelandclinic.....lurk/

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 7:58 pm
Rutabaga wrote:
A quick Google search suggests eyeglasses and cell phones may contain cobalt:

https://health.clevelandclinic.....lurk/

She has neither. Thanks.

cbsp

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 8:03 pm
Anything here helpful?

Allergy to cobalt
Author: Vanessa Ngan, Staff Writer, 2002.
https://dermnetnz.org/topics/a.....balt/

This caught my eye :
In many cases, allergic reactions are not caused solely by cobalt sensitisation. For example, metal objects almost always also contain nickel and in the cement industry nickel and chromium are present. Nickel and chromium are also potent sensitisers therefore; allergic reactions may not be due solely to cobalt but also to simultaneous specific allergy to nickel and chromium.

nanny24/7

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 9:01 pm
She should not wear a watch.
Have her wear a bra that contains no metal in it.
The rest of my post is based on the previous posters assertion that it may be other metals triggering the reaction.
By any chance does she have braces or a retainer?
I would presume they are careful with which metals to produce them with so those are hopefully fine.
Also I once read that radiation when standing right near a working microwave is worse when touching metal. I don't know if that's accurate but am wondering if being near active microwave can in any way increase one's allergy sensitivities to metals.
Also was she tested for Aluminum allergy?
Very many food containers and food wraps are made of aluminum.
Does she chew on pencils or pens?
Or constantly fidget with keys, or another metal object?

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 11:13 pm
nanny24/7 wrote:
She should not wear a watch.
Have her wear a bra that contains no metal in it.
The rest of my post is based on the previous posters assertion that it may be other metals triggering the reaction.
By any chance does she have braces or a retainer?
I would presume they are careful with which metals to produce them with so those are hopefully fine.
Also I once read that radiation when standing right near a working microwave is worse when touching metal. I don't know if that's accurate but am wondering if being near active microwave can in any way increase one's allergy sensitivities to metals.
Also was she tested for Aluminum allergy?
Very many food containers and food wraps are made of aluminum.
Does she chew on pencils or pens?
Or constantly fidget with keys, or another metal object?

The watch is smart! She has a plastic band. I think I'll do the clear nail polish trick for the metal of the back- she needs to wear a watch. And she has one metal fidget toy. That will be harder- the coldness and feel of the metal is what works for her. Will try to faze out.

challahchallah

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 11:31 pm
Most metals have only very trace amounts of cobalt. Is there anything in your house that could have cobalt blue in it? Maybe plates or cups or something?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics