Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers
Anyone applied for Hungarian citizenship?

rabshi

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 2:40 pm
Anyone applied for Hungarian citizenship?

midiskirts

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 9:45 am
PLEASE share the backstory to this post, I'm so curious!

nanny24/7

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 9:59 am
Is there a new law Hungary instituted that allows descendants of persecuted Jews to apply?
I thought that was only Portugal or Austria.
Clue us in.

chick567

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 10:04 am
Yes ive heard of this. Hungary and poland too.
The advantage of getting citizenship is that you automatically get EU citizenship and can enter Europe even when borders are closed. And you don’t need a visa to study or work.

chukee

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 10:46 am
My husband just received his Hungarian citizenship. I wasn't too involved in the process, but I can ask him if there is anything you want to know.

#BestBubby

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 11:55 am
It's a good idea if you can.

I fear what America is turning into....

In Golus, we never know when we must flee a formerly safe haven.

Last edited by #BestBubby on Thu, May 13 2021, 12:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

blessedflower

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 12:20 pm
My dh did. And I want to aply for our ds.
I also wasn't to involved

Living Princess

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 1:21 pm
Lithuania and Latvia also if you qualify

Raisin

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 2:15 pm
Lots of Israelis do this so they can live and work in Europe. (and access benefits like healthcare, University tuition, and more) Budapest actually has a relatively large Jewish population but if you have a Hungarian passport you can live and work in most EU countries.

jstanothermothe

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 4:26 pm
I didnt know hungary has this... in my family we all tried to apply for germany but they ask for too much documentation and we wound up giving up. do you know if hungary asks many documents? germany asked for german birth certificates and marriage certificates for EVERY generation, but then proceded to not recognize my grandparents marriage certificate because it wasn't notaried in their county of residence (charlottenburg vs kreuzberg.) didnt seem worth it in the end.

Laiya

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 4:53 pm
I heard for Hungarian citizenship you need to speak Hungarian, not sure this is accurate?

dragoneye126

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 12:11 am
Yes, my entire family applied for Hungarian citizenship about 10 years ago. My grandfather z”l was born in Hungary, and it was important to him that we were citizens, and it has also been helpful to have EU citizenship. It took years to gather the paperwork (including official translation), apply, and process the info. My grandfather’s application was processed first, after which my mother was able to apply and then me. I do not speak Hungarian. It is not a requirement.

The whole experience was surreal and a bit traumatic. We were made to feel unwelcome at every step of the process. For example, when I went to the consulate to pick up my passport, the consul sneeringly said, “why bother getting citizenship for a place you’ll never live? You can’t even speak Hungarian.” I looked him straight in the eye and said, “Your people took away my family’s home and our language. If my grandfather had had a choice he would have lived in Hungary all of his life, and you and I might have met in Budapest instead of NY.”

I recommend getting citizenship if you are able. It’s a way of forcing the country to acknowledge its guilt and get back some (not nearly enough) of what we have lost.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics