Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Would you look for a new job? UPDATE

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 10:29 pm
I currently work in a setting where I am not challenged, the work is repetitive and boring, the hours are flexible, coworkers are very nice, managers and boss are nice enough and understanding about sick days for my kids etc, pay is decent, slight room for growth.

I feel kind of stagnant and was looking at some job postings. One job is research, which sounds interesting. Another is customer service etc for a business which sounds non-boring. However I have no idea if a new boss would be flexible with me coming and going a few minutes early or late if my kids need, or taking off for my kids. Or if I'll enjoy the new boss/coworkers/job. Is it worth leaving a decent job for the unknown? Or do I stick it out?
(I have a feeling the answer will be stay. Writing this out and seeing the pros and cons had been helpful!)

UPDATE: if I am offered a new job that’s 15 k more per year, for a more fulfilling cause, with a job description that sounds challenging but vague (I am more of a follow the rules girl) with people who seem nice, but not sure if they’re as good a fit for my personality as my current coworkers… wwyd?

hodeez

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 10:31 pm
If the pay is decent I would stay. Repetitive work can be automated. Try to find creative ways to work faster and smarter, the fun is in the challenge

hellokitty

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 10:37 pm
look for a challenge in a different area and see if you still feel that way - take a class, run a 5k, brew your own beer... so much more to life than work, not every employer *gets* that and so many are striving for the flexibility you have

Goody2shoes

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 10:37 pm
But on the other hand unstimulating work leaves you feeling extremely dissatisfied. I'm usually grumpy after an unfulfilling day
Question to you op- in your current job did you know how it was gonna turn out? If your boss/coworkers will be as nice and flexible as they are? You never know if at a new place it won't work out for you. Maybe try to do some research on the place first if it makes you feel better. If you hear good things ac about it and the pay is decent I say go for it! Hatzlacha in what you decide!

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 10:39 pm
alwayssmiling wrote:
But on the other hand unstimulating work leaves you feeling extremely dissatisfied. I'm usually grumpy after an unfulfilling day
Question to you op- in your current job did you know how it was gonna turn out? If your boss/coworkers will be as nice and flexible as they are? You never know if at a new place it won't work out for you. Maybe try to do some research on the place first if it makes you feel better. If you hear good things ac about it and the pay is decent I say go for it! Hatzlacha in what you decide!

I don't feel grumpy after work. I feel "good enough."

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 10:44 pm
ask to take on a 'special project'....

lucky14

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 10:44 pm
I would stay. The fact that you don't have to worry about sick days for your kids + decent pay is all the reason I would need to stay. But that is just me. I would get very stressed out if it turned out I wasn't able to find a job that would be as flexible.

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 10:46 pm
For now you need the flexibility, so I'd stick it out. At the same time can you expand your skill set to be ready for a more fulfilling job when the time is right?

amother
Burlywood

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 12:12 am
I did the opposite. Went from a challenging, high stress and stimulating position to an easy job in a great environment with lots of flexibility. I’m so much happier now even though I know I have the skills to do so much more. At my stage in life, this is good.
I vote that you should stick with what you have.

ellacoe

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 1:06 am
What are your priorities? Make a list of why it is you are working, and what your priorities are. When you are done, read through them and see which job opportunities align with your goals and priorities.

DrMom

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 1:36 am
Can you grow in your current role? Is there room for advancement in your current job? Can you discuss a career development path with your manager?

If not, it wouldn't hurt to see what else is out there. Maybe you'll find something better, maybe not. It doesn't hurt to look around.

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 7:51 am
ellacoe wrote:
What are your priorities? Make a list of why it is you are working, and what your priorities are. When you are done, read through them and see which job opportunities align with your goals and priorities.

Right now my priorities are helping support my family and being able to be there for my children (and husband)

When all my kids are out of the house I would like to have a fulfilling job but my oldest is in second grade

amother
Ecru

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 8:58 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I don't feel grumpy after work. I feel "good enough."

Perhaps challenge yourself in a different area. Go after some new skill-set or a degree, so when your kids are older you can jump right into a new field.

amother
Natural

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 9:06 am
I wouldn't switch. Jobs have the potential to be a disaster and if things are ok then I think the right decision is to stay.

amother
White

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 9:14 am
Those job descriptions you mentioned - research, customer service - are meaningless. They’re generic terms and anyone can call a job what they want. If you really want to switch you need to dig further to find out what the jobs really entail and what the environment is like. The ideal is if you can find someone you know who works there, who can tell you what it’s like. Bosses especially, can make or break a job environment. You don’t have to stay in a rut forever , but do your legwork.

amother
Teal

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 9:38 am
Keep your eyes open for any good opportunities.
Being you currently have a job, you don't need to settle.
Only switch if you get really good info about the environment, the pay, and job description.

ellacoe

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 10:49 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Right now my priorities are helping support my family and being able to be there for my children (and husband)

When all my kids are out of the house I would like to have a fulfilling job but my oldest is in second grade

So it seems like your primary goals of helping to support your family and having a flexible schedule to be available for your family are being met at your current job.

In the future in about 11 years your goals might shift. What can you be doing in your life now towards your future goal?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 24 2021, 10:54 pm
Update: If I have the choice to take a job that pays 15 k more, people seem nice enough, job seems like I may be able to handle it but it’s a bit vague and may be too self-starter and creative for my follow-the-rules personality…
For a non profit so it’s more meaningful and less monotonous…
Wwyd

challahchallah

Post Fri, Jun 25 2021, 1:31 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Update: If I have the choice to take a job that pays 15 k more, people seem nice enough, job seems like I may be able to handle it but it’s a bit vague and may be too self-starter and creative for my follow-the-rules personality…
For a non profit so it’s more meaningful and less monotonous…
Wwyd

I’d lean toward taking it, but first I’d ask for one more call with the person who would be your manager and ask how the person in this role is evaluated and the specifics of what success looks like. You want to make sure you can excel in this role.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics