Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Kitchen remodel tips
Previous  1  2

Rubber Ducky

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 12:08 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Do I pay the kitchen guy for the designing or it’s just included in the costs?

I live in haverstraw (on top of monsey) are there any good recommendations for kitchen stores (kitchen guys!) located in the monsey or surrounding areas? I really know so little about design and layout but appreciate good work

It varies. For full kitchens I roll design fees into the cabinet cost. If I do a design and the client ultimately buys from someone else, I charge for the design.

I hope someone local will give a you rec for a good designer in Monsey.

rowena

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 9:39 am
Argh! I deleted my post! It was long and detailed but here's the gist.
Hire a kitchen designer, but also look at houzz forums where ppl give feedback on kitchen designs so you know what to look out for when you get the proposed layout.
Here are some of the main things that were helpful and some things I wish I knew.

1. Like a poster stated above, adequate aisles by island. 36in is standard, 42 is better, remember you need even more if you want island seating.

2. Drawers over cabinets: it's personal preference, but an overwhelming majority like drawers.

3. The work triangle: basic idea is that when we cook we go from the fridge to the sink to the oven. It doesn't have to be a straight line it could be a triangle, but you want a clear path. Not manuvering around a large island, or in my case having only 30in. of counter space between my sink and oven when I have nearly 5 ft. Of counter space on the other side of my sink that is inconvenient to use because it's not in the natural path for cooking.

tweety1

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 9:50 am
Rubber Ducky wrote:
It varies. For full kitchens I roll design fees into the cabinet cost. If I do a design and the client ultimately buys from someone else, I charge for the design.

I hope someone local will give a you rec for a good designer in Monsey.

Exactly. He originally charged me $1200. But when I ended up doing the kitchen by him he considered that my deposit.

tweety1

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 9:52 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Do I pay the kitchen guy for the designing or it’s just included in the costs?

I live in haverstraw (on top of monsey) are there any good recommendations for kitchen stores (kitchen guys!) located in the monsey or surrounding areas? I really know so little about design and layout but appreciate good work

You may want to decide if you want wood or Formica. Not all places do both. I first made my decision between wood and Formica, I then found a kitchen place.

Chana Miriam S

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 9:58 am
Things I love about my kitchen which is about 12x12:

Double sinks for dairy and meat each
Single sink in island was supposed to be pareve but never ended up that way so it’s meat.

Under cabinet lighting
Cabinets go to ceiling and we have enough of them that we store 95% of pesach stuff in kitchen and never even have to go into that space
Be careful with closing your fridge in. Leave extra space.We did that but now the shapes and sizes Of fridges changed and most are too high
If you put pull out pantry shelves, make sure the back is high enough to keep stuff from falling down the back
We have mostly drawee under counter which are much better than open cabinets. Only open cabinets are directly under sinks.
We have a tonne of counter space but still enough room to move around for two people
We have stainless steel countertops around the edges and a granite island. Easy to kosher.
We have room for four stools at the island which is our family size.
Opened wall into dining/living room
I would not change much if I did it again.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen