Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Soft meat without wine?

agreer

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 10:53 am
I have a few cuts of meat for shavuos: shoulder roast, french roast, 2nd cut brisket

My DH does not like the wine-y taste, but so many recipes call for it. What else can I use?

thepickled

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 10:57 am
Chicken soup, water, vinegar. Just make sure the flavor comes through elsewhere. I like this recipe, it’s not sweet and has no wine https://www.bonappetit.com/rec.....herbs

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 11:00 am
Dark beer works the best, IMHO. It doesn't taste "beery" at all, just nice and rich.

English3

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 11:15 am
Loads of sauteed onions with a little brown sugar and chicken soup mix

INSPIREME

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 11:24 am
Rub with olive oil and spices - bake (Yummy!!!)

Reality

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 11:24 am
Tomato sauce helps to soften meat

ra_mom

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 11:29 am
agreer wrote:
I have a few cuts of meat for shavuos: shoulder roast, french roast, 2nd cut brisket

My DH does not like the wine-y taste, but so many recipes call for it. What else can I use?

You can marinate the roast overnight in a paste of crushed garlic, lots of coarse salt and olive oil. Lay it over a bed of onions. Add less than a cup of water around the sides of the pan. Cover tightly and bake. It will create its own juices.

Chayalle

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 11:33 am
Make a pot roast. (from KBD) I basically saute onions, sprinkle roast with flour on all sides and brown it in the onions....water about 1/3 way up the sides with onion soup mix (couple of tablespoons). Add in potatoes, carrots, parsnips or whatever you like (I just do small whole potatoes). Cook for about 3 hours till very soft.

I've done with a chuck roast, but a shoulder roast should work well with this too.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics