Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets
Any parrot owners on Imamother?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 6:07 pm
midiskirts wrote:
Ekkies are so gorgeous! I definitely share the pain of having birds prefer dh, but happily I get my share of attention while he's working (or while washing dishes, which immediately signals bath time Very Happy ).

Yes! She prefers men. She loves when we have male guests. She talks to me when I'm doing the dishes after everyone has gone to bed. That's our special bonding timeπŸ˜€

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 6:29 pm
Elfrida wrote:
I remember someone asking about Pesach food for parrots. Don't remember who. Maybe she'll log in later.

Parrots eat pesach food all year round. Fruits, veggies.

MrsDash

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 9:01 pm
midiskirts wrote:
Awww, I love it! Have you ever travelled with her?

Haven't needed to think about it all year because of covid, and other misc reasons. I'm trying not to think about it because she can't be left alone, except for overnight. She would probably cry the entire time. Sad

MrsDash

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 9:10 pm
Unscheduled bath time!!!

Post bath swaddle

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 9:30 pm
Love love those pics! We want more pretty please, so adorable 😊

little neshamala

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 9:52 pm
MrsDash wrote:
Unscheduled bath time!!!

Post bath swaddle

I would love it if you just keep on posting pictures of her! Making me so happy

midiskirts

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 10:59 pm
MELLLLTING, she's such a good girl!

Chayalle

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 10:18 am
I showed these pictures to my DD, resident pet lover. I'm gonna pay, she's gonna up her campaign for a bird.

My sister's in-laws have an African grey. They have some really funny stories about her responses to situations. This one's epic: One day, one of the kids tripped down the stairs, and his Mom (my sister's MIL) was all worried, asking him if he's okay.

She then went into the kitchen, and the bird looks her in the eye and says "Are you okay?"!!!

(every time the phone rings, she'll go on and on...."hello? hello?")

MrsDash

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 1:52 pm
I realized I left someone out! This is my cockatiel baby. Got her at 4 weeks, so she needed a couple months of hand feeding from me. She is the SWEETEST bird I've even known. Doesn't even know HOW to bite lol. My 6 year old adores her, and uses her as a raggedy ann doll, and she loves it! LOL

MrsDash

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 2:17 pm
I used to breed birds, mostly lovebirds and parrotlets, but after my father passed it got to be too much for me. Here are some babies I've handfed.

MrsDash

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 2:31 pm
Here are some of my babies and rescues I've had over the years:

MrsDash

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 2:37 pm
Ever wondered what a lovebird looks like moments after hatching? Here you go! I never took babies out of the nest THAT early, but the parents literally kicked this guy out of their nest, and I found him at the bottom of the cage with some egg shell still attached to him. There's a bump/pip on the nose, which helps chicks crack open their eggs. YES he survived and grew into a beautiful, happy, healthy adult birdie.

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, May 15 2021, 4:07 pm
Ms Dash, thanks for sharing all of these lovely bird pics! My last bird was a roller canary, but he escaped. Sad

I love how informative this thread is, because people tend to think "Oh, birds are so EASY!" and don't realize what really goes into owning them.

Cats and dogs are much easier by comparison. (My dog sleeps 22 hours a day, and my cats are free range.)

Here in Israel, we have tons of sassy little green parrots. Apparently they are a non native, invasive species, but I still love watching them attack the date trees.

What's really cool, is that sometimes I see escaped pet birds that the flocks will "adopt". There will be all kinds of macaws and cockatiels with them, and the little greens don't seem to mind one bit.

the world's best mom

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 12:56 am
We used to have 2 parakeets. We got rid of them when we got our first lovebird. When our friend who breeds lovebirds went away on vacation, we took over for 10 days. We had mother, father, and 4 little babies, plus our own lovebird who was a child of the same parents. We got to keep one of the babies, too.

When they couldn't fly, they were fun and my kids used to walk around outside with the bird on their shoulder. But then they learned to fly, and that ruined everything. Besides, their food got all over the house.

We got rid of all of the birds, and now we have a hamster instead. Much easier to deal with.

midiskirts

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 9:38 am
Chayalle wrote:
I showed these pictures to my DD, resident pet lover. I'm gonna pay, she's gonna up her campaign for a bird.

My sister's in-laws have an African grey. They have some really funny stories about her responses to situations. This one's epic: One day, one of the kids tripped down the stairs, and his Mom (my sister's MIL) was all worried, asking him if he's okay.

She then went into the kitchen, and the bird looks her in the eye and says "Are you okay?"!!!

(every time the phone rings, she'll go on and on...."hello? hello?")

We've definitely inspired several campaigns among our friends and neighbours Very Happy

midiskirts

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 9:41 am
MrsDash wrote:
I realized I left someone out! This is my cockatiel baby. Got her at 4 weeks, so she needed a couple months of hand feeding from me. She is the SWEETEST bird I've even known. Doesn't even know HOW to bite lol. My 6 year old adores her, and uses her as a raggedy ann doll, and she loves it! LOL

Oooooo, she looks like she's a snuggler. How long have you had her?

Also, where did you learn to hand feed birds? Dh and I would eventually (FAR far down the road) like to breed CBCs, and I'm so intimidated by the weaning process - I've read too many horror stories TMI Did you learn from anyone in particular, or did you figure it out yourself?

midiskirts

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 9:42 am
MrsDash wrote:
I used to breed birds, mostly lovebirds and parrotlets, but after my father passed it got to be too much for me. Here are some babies I've handfed.

Haha there we go, I hadn't seen this post. I would love to hear about your experience breeding birds! Did you also breed the conures in the last picture?

MrsDash

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 12:13 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Ms Dash, thanks for sharing all of these lovely bird pics! My last bird was a roller canary, but he escaped. Sad

I love how informative this thread is, because people tend to think "Oh, birds are so EASY!" and don't realize what really goes into owning them.

Cats and dogs are much easier by comparison. (My dog sleeps 22 hours a day, and my cats are free range.)

Here in Israel, we have tons of sassy little green parrots. Apparently they are a non native, invasive species, but I still love watching them attack the date trees.

What's really cool, is that sometimes I see escaped pet birds that the flocks will "adopt". There will be all kinds of macaws and cockatiels with them, and the little greens don't seem to mind one bit.

I’m so sorry about your canary πŸ˜”. It’s so heartbreaking when things like that happen. And it’s happened to many people I know, even seasoned breeders.

There was a bird in malcha mall that I would visit almost every day. I would never have been able to afford him, but he was the sweetest bird. Used to give me kisses through the cage. It was a rainbow lorikeet, one of the most beautiful birds in the world. I wonder if he’s still there. It’s only been like 15 years since I saw him last LOL

MrsDash

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 12:21 pm
midiskirts wrote:
Haha there we go, I hadn't seen this post. I would love to hear about your experience breeding birds! Did you also breed the conures in the last picture?

Yeah, all of those birds were handfed by me.

When it comes to hand feeding, I’ve been doing it since I was a child. Growing up, my mom handfed birds all the time and I guess I take after her.

Also, it’s something you need to enjoy doing. I made very little money from breeding, but I enjoyed the process so very much. It’s actually quite easy, but it requires a lot of time, and patience. Also having the right equipment, and formula, and brooder are very important. I made my own brooders. It needed to keep the babies warm, with some humidity, without overheating, or suffocating them. But hand feeding was tons of fun for me.

MrsDash

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 12:25 pm
I’ve gotta say, though, that my loudest babies were parrotlets! They were so tiny, but boy could they scream like banshees when they were hungry.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets