Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Do you like a blue sofa?
Previous  1  2

Amarante

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 9:22 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Blue velvet is very trendy now I guess. My living room is small and I have a small apartment. My kitchen have a blue island cabinets already. I feel like it is going to be too busy. Maybe blue is suitable for big spaces.

That isn't true at all. I recently remodeled my condo and my designer carried blue throughout the whole unit - different blues used in different ways of course. That way everything complemented each other and the eye flowed better.

You would probably find it very helpful to use a designer to pull your living room together. For this kind of project, you could just find someone to give you a sense of what would work well together and it would not be an expensive hire - you could even hire someone over the web who would point you in the right direction as you don't necessarily need the whole thing where a designer takes a space.

But you wouldn't "match" the color of the island but no reason to exclude blue especially if your concern is that it would make the place feel smaller.

amother
Linen

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 9:31 am
Love blue couches!!

pause

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 9:38 am
I have rather conservative taste, so no I don't like a blue sofa. I'd go with ivory, cream, or taupe and accent with pillows.

amother
Slategray

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 10:01 am
Not a sofa, but my Kitchen (backsplash and pendant lights and other accents) are cobalt. 17 years later, I still smile every day when I come into my kitchen. I love the blue and it makes me happy. So glad I didn’t go with something “safe and neutral”.

amother
Navy

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 12:30 pm
Some of my blue fabrics. Sofa is the blue velvet - so all kinds of blues and I also have blues in the kitchen and bathrooms and blue in the bedroom. A blue easy chair and blue patterned drapes.

These were some of the "blue" fabrics I selected when I decorated.

This is one of a pair of chairs I inherited from my mother. She had it upholstered in beige velvet but I chose a blue paisley. In the background you can see my dining room chairs which are also blue with a bit of bling in the pattern so they pop

This is the fabric I chose for living room drapes. They are really more of an accent as I have shades when I need to block the sun.

This is a chair I had reupholstered. Ironically I bought the chair many years ago and had it upholstered in blue mohair. It was time for it to be reupholstered as it was saggy as well as "tired"

synthy

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 12:37 pm
Please, only buy a blue sofa if you absolutely love it! If you don't, and you convince yourself to buy it because its trendy and other people like it you'll most likely hate it in a few years.

amother
Navy

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 12:38 pm
I love Art Deco furniture so this was the inspiration for my blue velvet sofa. My blue is a bit darker than the picture but because of the weave it doesn't read as a monolithic color.

Amarante

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 12:45 pm
synthy wrote:
Please, only buy a blue sofa if you absolutely love it! If you don't, and you convince yourself to buy it because its trendy and other people like it you'll most likely hate it in a few years.

How is blue trendy? Blue is pretty classic although it may cycle back and forth in terms of its popularity - but that doesn't make it "trendy" and going out of style.

And of course different shades of blue will have different feelings - a navy blue room might have a very Ralph Lauren type of feel; a lighter blue room might have more of a country type of feel. A strong blue might have a very contemporary or even modern feel (contemporary and modern aren't the same in terms of decorative styles).

Even when earth tones ruled back in the 1970's blue could be found even if it was just strong accent pieces.

Whatever you buy, you should like it and not buy because you think it is what you should buy. But that is true even if something is theoretically safe like beige or gray.

amother
Bisque

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 12:47 pm
I have a dark blue corduroy type material on my couch. It has accents of rust in the fabric as well, which I picked up with throw pillows. We were going for comfortable/homey and durable rather than elegant.

amother
Seagreen

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 1:28 pm
check out instagram @interiorsbyad
They have some pics with blue sofas that are really pretty and well done

amother
Seagreen

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 2:58 pm
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
Some of my blue fabrics. Sofa is the blue velvet - so all kinds of blues and I also have blues in the kitchen and bathrooms and blue in the bedroom. A blue easy chair and blue patterned drapes.

These were some of the "blue" fabrics I selected when I decorated.

This is one of a pair of chairs I inherited from my mother. She had it upholstered in beige velvet but I chose a blue paisley. In the background you can see my dining room chairs which are also blue with a bit of bling in the pattern so they pop

This is the fabric I chose for living room drapes. They are really more of an accent as I have shades when I need to block the sun.

This is a chair I had reupholstered. Ironically I bought the chair many years ago and had it upholstered in blue mohair. It was time for it to be reupholstered as it was saggy as well as "tired"

I love what you did with this chair. Who reupholstered it for you and approx how much did it cost?

amother
Sapphire

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 5:21 pm
I have a royal blue couch with grey pillows and it looks so homey and elegant at the same time Smile

amother
Salmon

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 5:54 pm
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
Depends how long you keep things.
I think it will be dated faster then a neutral color.

My parents got blue velvet chairs when they got married. When I was dating they were so dated. So to me it’s just funny that it’s back in again.
I don’t think it’s a classic color. But beautiful for today.

So funny. When I was a kid in the 80s many, many people had blue velvet couches/chairs/carpets. So to me also, it would look very outdated, but as you said, things cycle through and come back in style, and I can see how it would look fresh and new to a younger eye.
(As an aside, Apricot, if you've never seen the movie Super8 from a few years ago, you really should. It's an homage to the Spielberg movies of the late 70s and early 80s and just seeing the homes in the movie made me smile. The living room furniture is straight out of my childhood, blue carpeting and all. I think there may be a blue velvet couch as well. Laugh )

amother
Quince

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 8:38 pm
Yes! I too would like to know who upholstered the round swivel chair...I have the exact same ones that need upholstering

amother
NeonPurple

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 8:41 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Is it trendy now? We need to get new couches for the living room. Dd wants blue. I think it’s not warm. Wwyd?

I just saw this condo for sale and it has a blue couch. It looks very pretty. Check it out-- https://www.zillow.com/homedet.....pid/?

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 9:02 pm
I have like a denim blue couch. So comfortable.

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 9:19 pm
My kitchen is blue. I love it as much now as I did 20 years ago.

Come to think of it, my couch is also blue-but more of a light blue with grey undertones. It is about a dozen years old.

My bedroom is also painted a light sky blue.

Still love them all. Only do blue if either it is what you love or you can afford to replace in a few years. Personally, I love the blue and didn’t get it because it was in style, but because it spoke to me.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics