Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Anyone planning aliyah this summer?

amother
OP

Post Sat, May 15 2021, 9:46 pm
I've planned the aliyah for more than a year and really wanted to move years ago. We finally received our approval and now I'm feeling very unease about the situation. Before I was concerned about the job situation (harder with COVID), since I know plenty of olim that made aliyah while transferring their US jobs or getting a job in Israel before...my husband and I don't have that. Also, we're basically going with savings that would probably last mainly for the furniture/lift we need to pay for. My husband wasn't even on board about the move, my mom kept on pressuring us to move...it's really not easy for me. I really think that Israel should be the place for us to live but now everything seems chaotic. I'm moving with elementary school aged kids. What if this will continue? how do you prepare your kids for such a move?
I really hope and pray that everyone in Israel will be ok and we will be able to make this aliyah but right now I'm not feeling very good about it.

Elfrida

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 12:26 am
It's not easy to make such a huge change in your lives without both partners being on board. Is it the current security situation, or does your husband have wider concerns? Does your mother live here? I'm confused as to why she has such a big say in where the two of you choose to live your lives and bring up.your children.

What field do you work in? Even if your job isn't transferable, it make be relatively easy to find a new job in the field when you get here.

There is lots of advice available about preparing your children for aliyah. Preparing for aliyah into a war zone is another matter. Living in Israel we also struggle with that. On past experience the current situation isn't likely to last more than a few weeks, but its impossible to say anything for certain.

Hazlacha in deciding what to do for the best.

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 1:24 am
Moving is hard, and it's harder without family support. Add in hostilities, and it's really tough. But nothing lasts forever. People have made aliyah and thrived under all kinds of circumstances.

There's a sweet book by Miriam Chaikin called Aviva's Piano. It's about a family from Argentina and their aliyah to a kibbutz. When they arrive, they find that their piano won't fit through the door or windows to their house. Then the kibbutz is bombed and a wall is blown out. At last, they can get the piano inside.

Hopefully, things will be better soon on the security front soon. (I find that denial is a wonderful coping mechanism Wink )

As far as the family's integration, take it slow. Move somewhere with lots of English speakers, and don't expect too much at first. Concentrate on supporting each other and enjoying family time.

amother
Amber

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 1:39 am
The present hostilities won't last long.
All the military confrontations with the Gaza Strip in the last 20 years or so have been short lived, up to a few weeks at most. It is like a series of mini-wars with approximately 5 year gaps betweem rounds.
Only for people who live in the so called Gaza Envelope, a few kilometers from the border, it is different because they get regular shelling also when the rest of the country is quiet.
But I assume you are not planning to move to Sderot, so by the time you get here, the country is probably back to normal.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 10:34 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I've planned the aliyah for more than a year and really wanted to move years ago. We finally received our approval and now I'm feeling very unease about the situation. Before I was concerned about the job situation (harder with COVID), since I know plenty of olim that made aliyah while transferring their US jobs or getting a job in Israel before...my husband and I don't have that. Also, we're basically going with savings that would probably last mainly for the furniture/lift we need to pay for. My husband wasn't even on board about the move, my mom kept on pressuring us to move...it's really not easy for me. I really think that Israel should be the place for us to live but now everything seems chaotic. I'm moving with elementary school aged kids. What if this will continue? how do you prepare your kids for such a move?
I really hope and pray that everyone in Israel will be ok and we will be able to make this aliyah but right now I'm not feeling very good about it.
OP youve posted many times about your family situation.
If one soouse is not on board, that can turn I to a very bad situation.
Also dont make aliyah because a family member is pressuring you to. That can also end badly.
Are you not feeling good because of the security situation? It really depends where you plan to start you life in israel.
And elementary school age, what grades are we talking about?

And lastly, many or probably most olim do NOT come with their jobs from chul.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions