Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Gift for doctor

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 11:17 am
Looking for a gift idea for a very kind doctor who is very devoted and goes beyond her call of duty to help me. Female. Any ideas?

amother
Cobalt

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 11:25 am
I am pretty sure doctors are not allowed to accept personal gifts from patients. I would send some yummy food to the office for everyone to enjoy.

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 11:28 am
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
I am pretty sure doctors are not allowed to accept personal gifts from patients. I would send some yummy food to the office for everyone to enjoy.

Never heard of this. Why aren't they allowed to accept it?

amother
Cobalt

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 11:34 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Never heard of this. Why aren't they allowed to accept it?

I am not 100% sure why. I think it is in their oath when they become dr.... and I have heard this from friends who have Dr's in their families. Anyone else know the reason?

amother
Lawngreen

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 12:16 pm
Mine has accepted.
But looking back I would not do it again.
Send a nice card with something for the office or some donuts for the office staff or something
Or just a card

tweety1

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 12:24 pm
I ordered more than once by personalization mall.com. I always gift my ob/gyn when I go for my post partum visit. I wrap it nicely. Sometimes depending on what the gift is I fill it with some chocolate and I always add a nice card.

Last edited by tweety1 on Fri, May 14 2021, 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

tweety1

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 12:26 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Looking for a gift idea for a very kind doctor who is very devoted and goes beyond her call of duty to help me. Female. Any ideas?

Some posters don't agree with gift giving. I do though. If a Dr goes above and beyond it's nice to gift occasionally.

singleagain

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 1:26 pm
I think the issue with gifts is that it can look like bribery.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sat, May 15 2021, 8:20 pm
Gift card? I’m in a similar situation op, and gave a gift card

amother
Wine

Post Sat, May 15 2021, 8:32 pm
I've given a bottle of whiskey once to a Dr that I remembered speaking about scotch with during a long labor (gifted at pp visit), and a box of vegan chocolates to a doctor.

(I bought it to the pp visit as thank you, rather than to the hospital as "bribery". However, when I did have a child in the hospital at some point we definitely did bring pizza for the nurses, chocolate, flowers for the head nurse, etc.)

amother
Aqua

Post Sat, May 15 2021, 8:37 pm
I'm not a doctor, but friends who are tell me that it makes them uncomfortable, as though they live in a third-world country where patients think they can bribe their way to better care. Write a note (prose, not a rhymed poem) expressing your thanks.

amother
Amber

Post Sat, May 15 2021, 9:33 pm
tweety1 wrote:
Some posters don't agree with gift giving. I do though. If a Dr goes above and beyond it's nice to gift occasionally.

This has nothing to do with posters not agreeing with gift giving. It's a known rule between doctors that it's unethical to accept personal gifts from patients. There are hospitals that have a policy against gifting doctors. It's always a better idea to gift the office so not to put the doctor in an uncomfortable position.

amother
Cyan

Post Sat, May 15 2021, 9:34 pm
The best thanks is good online reviews.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sat, May 15 2021, 11:01 pm
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
I'm not a doctor, but friends who are tell me that it makes them uncomfortable, as though they live in a third-world country where patients think they can bribe their way to better care. Write a note (prose, not a rhymed poem) expressing your thanks.

That’s the last thing I intended to do with my gift giving. I gave it with utmost sincerity to show my appreciation and my husband was fully on board with it as he saw how overly devoted she is

amother
Puce

Post Sat, May 15 2021, 11:40 pm
In my experience doctors can definitely accept gifts.

I once had an artist make something for my doctor.

amother
Smokey

Post Sat, May 15 2021, 11:56 pm
I’ve only heard of doctors not being ethically allowed to accept gifts on ima. In my dealings with many doctors I’ve never come across it- unless they go home & dump it What?

amother
Smokey

Post Sat, May 15 2021, 11:58 pm
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:

I only gift and thank doctors (with frequent personalized cards) that go the extra step- usually the extra mile. So no, sorry, no bribery intended AT ALL.

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 12:34 am
Surely you can understand that just because you don't intend the gift as a bribe doesn't mean it won't come across that way.

You're blurring the line between patient and doctor by giving a gift. Some are ok with this, and some are really not. You can give a plant to the office staff and or write a note. Just about anything else may put your doctor in an uncomfortable situation - even if that's not your intention.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics