Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
No sense of smell...

nw11

Post Sat, May 15 2021, 4:38 pm
I feel weird posting this months after hearing of any cases of covid in my community. But I have completely lost my sense of smell and did a test (which came back negative) on Friday, almost 24 hours after noticing. At first, I thought it was connected to my stuffy nose, I had a really bad cold last week, which eased up, but never fully went away and left me with a very stuffy nose. Today I also started feeling weak and my sinuses are hurting me somewhat. I definitely didn't have fever yesterday, and I don't think I have today either - though I haven't checked. I will probably do another test tomorrow but obviously only the quick one due to YT. Meanwhile we are invited to my in laws and my grandparents will be there too and I am a bit nervous about exposing them, though they are vaccinated. Is there a possibilty of sinusitis causing a complete loss of smell?

Success10

Post Sat, May 15 2021, 4:45 pm
I don't know where you are posting from. If from Israel, it's not very likely at all that you have Covid, there are currently very few cases. It sounds like a sinus infection. Are you sure you can't smell ANYTHING? Either way, I would ask the people who will be in attendance their opinion. Let them know you have no sense of smell and ask them if they are ok with you coming.

amother
Lilac

Post Sat, May 15 2021, 5:25 pm
Success10 wrote:
I don't know where you are posting from. If from Israel, it's not very likely at all that you have Covid, there are currently very few cases. It sounds like a sinus infection. Are you sure you can't smell ANYTHING? Either way, I would ask the people who will be in attendance their opinion. Let them know you have no sense of smell and ask them if they are ok with you coming.

Little less than a month ago me, my husband and all my 5 kids tested positive in Jerusalem. #justsaying!
The kids and my husband had a mild case while mine wasnt as mild,

amother
Rose

Post Sat, May 15 2021, 9:01 pm
Maybe just a basic sinus infection and not covid.
The polllen this year is terrible here in NJ/NY.
I would get tested for sinus infection. Maybe antibiotics will help

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sat, May 15 2021, 9:27 pm
Other viruses can also cause thar symptom.
Def retest and ask dr's opinion

ra_mom

Post Sat, May 15 2021, 9:48 pm
Retest. My husband was negative the first time he tested and positive when he tested 4 days later.

amother
Peach

Post Sat, May 15 2021, 10:29 pm
My sister had list her sense of taste smell way before covid came in. She had it for 1/2 year randomly. It left just the way it came (not covid related).
I heard that chewing on a garlic or cloves (or put it under tongue for up to 10 minutes could help get the smell and taste back shortly.

amother
Copper

Post Sat, May 15 2021, 10:32 pm
There are still about 20 covid positive cases in my hospital, and a sophomore in my DD’s HS who just tested positive on Thursday (and is sick). While it is definitely less than it was, the disease has not been eradicated. People are less careful than they were previously and you may have inadvertently picked it up in the supermarket or really anywhere. I would definitely test again before going to parent and grandparents even if they are vaccinated, as it decreases the risk by ~96%, not 100%, and even if symptoms are lessened, and people and not needing to be hospitalized on vents, you still don’t want to make them sick at all. (Would you go to someone’s house with strep or the flu?)

amother
Bisque

Post Sat, May 15 2021, 10:41 pm
nw11 wrote:
I feel weird posting this months after hearing of any cases of covid in my community. But I have completely lost my sense of smell and did a test (which came back negative) on Friday, almost 24 hours after noticing. At first, I thought it was connected to my stuffy nose, I had a really bad cold last week, which eased up, but never fully went away and left me with a very stuffy nose. Today I also started feeling weak and my sinuses are hurting me somewhat. I definitely didn't have fever yesterday, and I don't think I have today either - though I haven't checked. I will probably do another test tomorrow but obviously only the quick one due to YT. Meanwhile we are invited to my in laws and my grandparents will be there too and I am a bit nervous about exposing them, though they are vaccinated. Is there a possibilty of sinusitis causing a complete loss of smell?

Just because you have not heard of any cases in your community doesn't mean there are none. Since many people over 50 have been vaccinated there are much fewer serious cases being talked about in the frum community. However, younger unvaccinated people are still getting Covid but are not getting too sick so they are not testing and some are even calling it a "cold" so that their unvaccinated family & friends won't have to quarantine. A sick person should stay home...even if it really is a cold.

amother
Ginger

Post Sat, May 15 2021, 10:48 pm
OP, my guess is that you do have covid. Losing the sense of smell is very rare and I first heard about it only when covid arrived. Tests aren't always accurate.

nw11

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 5:49 am
Thank you everyone for your replies. I managed to get hold of my Dr last night who told me that most likely it is not covid, and I should retest just to be sure. Today BH I got my sense of smell back, weak, but definitely able to smell most things and my sinuses are killing me so I guess I have my answer.

ETA I am in Europe.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics