Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
ISO frum novel about Rikki, Daniella and dysfunctional mom?
1  2  Next

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 9:58 am
I read this book about 5 years ago. Anyone recall the title? I want to recommend it to someone. Thank you!

LovesHashem

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 10:06 am
Dancing in the Dark.

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 10:07 am
Was the mom bipolar? I think it was dancing in the dark by shoshana mael?

https://www.eichlers.com/danci......html

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 10:31 am
What age person are you going to reccomend it to? I think you should be careful there

Crookshanks

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 11:03 am
I love dancing in the dark. I cried the first time I read it. I wouldn't give it to a younger teenager though, and I definitely wouldn't give her later (secular) books to teenagers either.

cnc

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 11:31 am
Dancing in the Dark

I cry every time I read it and I barely censor my teenagers’ books but I would not give it to them to read. It’s an excellent book for adults only.

LovesHashem

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 11:35 am
I think teens should read it. This happens to real teens. I bet there's at least one kid in their school with a story like this.

Stop shoving problems under the rug. I and all my friends read it as a teen. It was intense but not inappropriate.

runninglate

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 11:35 am
Yeah that was an amazing book. What secular books did the author write?

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 11:39 am
I read it as a teen. It was the first time in my life I felt validated and somewhat normal.

mommyhood

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 11:43 am
I would never give that book to anyone I thought it was incredibly disturbing and unnecessarily graphic. I am really not picky and don’t majorly censor what my kids read but I thought she went too far and that the educational value was lost.

cnc

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 11:44 am
runninglate wrote:

I see Finding Eden online

cnc

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 11:46 am
LovesHashem wrote:
I think teens should read it. This happens to real teens. I bet there's at least one kid in their school with a story like this.

Stop shoving problems under the rug. I and all my friends read it as a teen. It was intense but not inappropriate.

Nothing to do with shoving problems under the rug. My children are quite exposed as I’m the last person to do that. It’s as another poster wrote below me. It’s extremely graphic and there are enough things in the current world for my children to have nightmares about. I don’t need to add to the pile...

Bleemee

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 11:50 am
Wow what’s it about?

LovesHashem

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 12:08 pm
Bleemee wrote:
Wow what’s it about?

About two daughters dealing with their mom who has BPD. They have just nightmares, self harm, and do other things that are written out very graphicly.

LovesHashem

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 12:09 pm
cnc wrote:
Nothing to do with shoving problems under the rug. My children are quite exposed as I’m the last person to do that. It’s as another poster wrote below me. It’s extremely graphic and there are enough things in the current world for my children to have nightmares about. I don’t need to add to the pile...

It says it as it is. I would NOT reccomend all teens read it but I wouldn't sensor is either. I would let them know the story is graphic and they can decide.

Last edited by LovesHashem on Mon, May 17 2021, 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

Crookshanks

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 12:25 pm
runninglate wrote:

Finding Eden. I read it as a teen, and no matter what you believe about censoring and sheltering children, please do not give this book to any teen who's emotional and spiritual health is entrusted to you.

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 12:31 pm
LovesHashem wrote:
About two daughters dealing with their mom who has BPD. They have just nightmares, self harm, and do other things that are written out very graphicly.

Recommending such book to ALL teens would be a very bad decision. Teens are all on different levels and live different lives. Would you be OK knowing a teen started self-harming, having nightmares and anxiety as a result of reading this book??
Suggesting it to someone who's going through it, that I hear.

Crookshanks

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 12:33 pm
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
Recommending such book to ALL teens would be a very bad decision. Teens are all on different levels and live different lives. Would you be OK knowing a teen started self-harming, having nightmares and anxiety as a result of reading this book??
Suggesting it to someone who's going through it, that I hear.

Not to mention that self harm especially among teens tends to be a copycat disorder.

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 12:37 pm
This book went around my class when we were teens as someone that can relate to the book it was so validating and supportive. The next year I was removed from my home by cps I’m so grateful that most of my class had read the book and was aware that abuse does happen and that doesn’t make me crazy

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 12:45 pm
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
This book went around my class when we were teens as someone that can relate to the book it was so validating and supportive. The next year I was removed from my home by cps I’m so grateful that most of my class had read the book and was aware that abuse does happen and that doesn’t make me crazy

Hugs.

I came back to this thread to say that all of you who say they would never let their teen read it, well here you go. Me and my friends all read it without notifying our parents.
TeAch your girls how to pick and choose their books, don’t do it for them. It’ll only backfire.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room