Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
ISO frum novel about Rikki, Daniella and dysfunctional mom?
Previous  1  2

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 12:51 pm
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
Hugs.

I came back to this thread to say that all of you who say they would never let their teen read it, well here you go. Me and my friends all read it without notifying our parents.
TeAch your girls how to pick and choose their books, don’t do it for them. It’ll only backfire.

I'm well aware that my teen can read it on her, without consulting with me. I'm upset at people suggesting it to every teen or thinking it's a good idea.

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 1:16 pm
Thank you very much!

PinkFridge

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 1:19 pm
Dancing in the Dark was incredibly, phenomenonally written. And as hotpink says, important.
But by making sure it's clearly only for senior high, or even post high, like some of the libraries I've seen label it, then when girls do read it they'll get that there's something there that not just anyone should be exposed to, prematurely. Which is a statement.

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 3:27 pm
I loved the book. Very touching and powerful and thought provoking. After reading it I kept in my room though and did not give it to my younger teenagers to read as I felt it was too graphic and to o visual and definitely too frightening. I happen to be a literary advisor for a high school , and I would never advise such a book in a high school library as moving as it is because it promotes certain messages that we don’t need to expose all of our teenagers to. However if I know a certain teenager was suffering from a similar situation I may recommend it to her because it is a book that could give strength .

BH Yom Yom

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 3:47 pm
LovesHashem wrote:
About two daughters dealing with their mom who has BPD. They have just nightmares, self harm, and do other things that are written out very graphicly.

The official diagnosis in the book is that the mom has bipolar disorder (eventually with psychotic features), not BPD (borderline personality disorder), although the way she related to Daniella is definitely suggestive of BPD traits.

Goody2shoes

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 3:49 pm
BH Yom Yom wrote:
The official diagnosis in the book is that the mom has bipolar disorder (eventually with psychotic features), not BPD (borderline personality disorder), although the way she related to Daniella is definitely suggestive of BPD traits.

The poster put BPD which to her stood for Bi Polar Disorder. I thought it was strange but it made sense so why not

farm

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 6:25 pm
LovesHashem wrote:
I think teens should read it. This happens to real teens. I bet there's at least one kid in their school with a story like this.

Stop shoving problems under the rug. I and all my friends read it as a teen. It was intense but not inappropriate.

Agree. Mishpacha Jr has an advice column and the question this week was from a child with an obviously mentally unwell mother. My preteen read it and said, “Ima, the question this week is for sure made up. A mother behaving this way to her daughter? Impossible!” And I had to tell my BH naive child that no, this is a real letter and unfortunately some people have unhealthy parents.
And I don’t think that’s a terrible thing for a preteen child to become aware of such a thing.

LovesHashem

Post Mon, May 17 2021, 3:42 pm
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
Recommending such book to ALL teens would be a very bad decision. Teens are all on different levels and live different lives. Would you be OK knowing a teen started self-harming, having nightmares and anxiety as a result of reading this book??
Suggesting it to someone who's going through it, that I hear.

Sorry I wrote the post fast. I meant to write I WOULD NOT reccomend it to all teens. But I would not sensor or tell them they should or could not read it.

LovesHashem

Post Mon, May 17 2021, 3:44 pm
BH Yom Yom wrote:

Sorry. I was in a rush and I read it so many years ago.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room