Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Listening to our gedolei hador and Purim

shalhevet

Post Thu, Mar 06 2008, 2:08 am
Maybe instead of spending so much time thinking up the most original theme for our shaloch monos, we can take a few minutes to think about the real message of Purim.

When Mordechai told the Jews that it was assur to go to Ahashverosh's feast, many also felt that he didn't know what he was talking about. The food was kosher, no one had to eat or drink anything they didn't want to, separate seating, and do you know what problems of pikuach nefesh it would cause not to go to the king's feast after the Jews were invited? Clearly Mordechai, the gadol hador, was out of touch with modern life and couldn't understand that people wanted a good time with everything glatt kosher.

The tikkun was 'kiymu vekiblu', that Am Yisroel eventually were prepared to listen to Mordechai when he told them to fast, even though it would mean fasting on Pesach. Listening to a Talmid Chacham, even though it seemed illogical and they "knew better".

One of the reasons for the Purim seuda is that it is also a day of mattan Torah (giving the Torah) when we accepted Torah sheba'al Peh (the oral Torah) with love.

marina

Post Thu, Mar 06 2008, 6:04 am
I thought the food was davka not kosher.

grin

Post Thu, Mar 06 2008, 6:09 am
there are 2 opinions on that , if the food was kosher or not.

In any case, it's a point well-taken. Personally, I try to spend more on matanot le'evyonim than MM, even tho I have to make a bunch of MM in any case.

We give to all our close neighbors, our kids teachers and one friend each. We recycle goodies to make up part of them.

amother

Post Thu, Mar 06 2008, 6:25 am
Was this originally in the Lipa thread?

Newsie

Post Sun, Mar 09 2008, 1:48 pm
yes

shalhevet

Post Sun, Mar 09 2008, 2:04 pm
amother wrote:
Was this originally in the Lipa thread?

Yes, but very soon after I posted it the whole thread got removed. So I asked the mods for it 'back' and one mod kindly pmed it back to me.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics