Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Do you set the Shabbos table with a salad plate?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 20 2021, 4:51 am
I like to set the table with the main plate already at each setting. Then I place the napkin on top. Do you bring in salad plates after challah with the fish or is it already at each setting. Will it get all crumby from the challah if I place it under the napkin?

amother
Gold

Post Thu, May 20 2021, 4:56 am
I set with appetizer plates because I serve appetizers family style. I do have certain kids who don't want their challah to touch their plates.

voiceofreason

Post Thu, May 20 2021, 5:50 am
You can have everyone eat their challah on the napkin.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, May 20 2021, 5:53 am
We don't use salad plates or anything other than the main plate.

amother
Mint

Post Thu, May 20 2021, 6:05 am
I don't call it a salad plate, but yes we put out two plates - the main plate for the main course and a smaller plate for the first course of challah, dips & fish or whatever is being served.

I've never seen it done otherwise, to be honest...

amother
Mint

Post Thu, May 20 2021, 6:13 am
Also, I'm curious why you are more concerned about having crumbs on the small plate rather than the big plate? One of them is under the napkin either way...

(I've never thought of crumbs being an issue, though if it is, I don't get why you prefer them to land on the main plate.)

Chayalle

Post Thu, May 20 2021, 6:19 am
I set with a dinner plate and a salad plate. I usually have dips and salads on the table. Sometimes I plate the fish on the salad plate (before the meal). Sometimes I set a 3rd, smaller plate for the fish, particularly if there's meat in the salad. Sometimes I serve fish buffet style, like if I have more than one fish option.

watergirl

Post Thu, May 20 2021, 6:22 am
I never plate any food, so I put out my dinner plate and salad/fish plate when I set the table and the napkin is on the left side, under the forks. When the challah and fish is finished and its time to move on, we collect those plates and forks. I serve the actual salad with the main meal.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 20 2021, 7:20 am
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
Also, I'm curious why you are more concerned about having crumbs on the small plate rather than the big plate? One of them is under the napkin either way...

(I've never thought of crumbs being an issue, though if it is, I don't get why you prefer them to land on the main plate.)

Actually it bothered me that the crumbs landed on the main plate. My kids know to use a napkin. When I have guests their plates are super crumby so sometimes I change it. I was hoping I could figure out the best way to keep everything clean and neat.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 20 2021, 7:21 am
Chayalle wrote:
I set with a dinner plate and a salad plate. I usually have dips and salads on the table. Sometimes I plate the fish on the salad plate (before the meal). Sometimes I set a 3rd, smaller plate for the fish, particularly if there's meat in the salad. Sometimes I serve fish buffet style, like if I have more than one fish option.

That sounds so ideal. Do u put the third bowl/ plate near the stemware ?

Chayalle

Post Thu, May 20 2021, 7:23 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
That sounds so ideal. Do u put the third bowl/ plate near the stemware ?

No, I just stack all 3 plates. When done with fish, I remove it and we go on to the meat salads.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, May 20 2021, 7:32 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I like to set the table with the main plate already at each setting. Then I place the napkin on top. Do you bring in salad plates after challah with the fish or is it already at each setting. Will it get all crumby from the challah if I place it under the napkin?

For a regular shabbat meal, I set the table with both. Fish and dips are out with the challah, and I like to minimize the number of times I need to get up and the amount of extra things I need to do, so I put as much as I can on the table before we start. If a plate gets too crumby, it can be dumped off in the garbage or on the table.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, May 20 2021, 7:34 am
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
I don't call it a salad plate, but yes we put out two plates - the main plate for the main course and a smaller plate for the first course of challah, dips & fish or whatever is being served.

I've never seen it done otherwise, to be honest...

My in laws set just with silverware and cups. When the fish comes out, they bring out the fish/salad/appetizer plates. When it’s time for soup they bring out the soup bowls (from the kitchen, with soup in it) and when the main course comes out THEN they bring the main plate.

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, May 20 2021, 7:41 am
Big plate, salad/fish plate/ and dip plate. I always put out 3.

Iymnok

Post Thu, May 20 2021, 7:45 am
If the guests don’t mind the crumbs (most don’t) then leave it.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 20 2021, 8:37 am
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
Big plate, salad/fish plate/ and dip plate. I always put out 3.
[b]

So does the challah end up on the dip plate?
Well that’s what id love to do. Sounds so neat. Is the dip plate on the top layer or on the side.

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, May 20 2021, 8:54 am
Ill usually use a bread & butter plate (theyre the smallest ones, not all sets have corresponding though), and put it on the side of the place setting to the left, the opposite of the glasses. This gets used for challah and occasionally dips too.

For those wondering what my place settings look like, I use a formal set up

https://www.marthastewart.com/.....table

amother
Mint

Post Thu, May 20 2021, 9:04 am
I find it interesting that people serve the fish and dips separately, for us the dips are an accompaniment to the fish, just as much as to the challah.

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, May 20 2021, 9:08 am
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
I find it interesting that people serve the fish and dips separately, for us the dips are an accompaniment to the fish, just as much as to the challah.

I always serve the dips and fish during the same course, and have never seen otherwise (unless there was no fish course to begin with)

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, May 20 2021, 9:11 am
I plate the fish inside my kitchen and bring it out together with the dips to the table. at each place setting theres usually only the big plate and the challa crumb get on there but thats the point of that plate to me
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note