Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Do we discuss mostly the things we most care about?

Does how much something is discussed = how much people care?
Yes, totally  
 33%  [ 20 ]
No, not at all  
 16%  [ 10 ]
Somewhat  
 13%  [ 8 ]
It depends on the topic  
 36%  [ 22 ]
Total Votes : 60

chanatron1000

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 3:14 pm
I personally usually don't. If I discuss something, it is often because it is an interesting topic or, I'll admit, simply for entertainment or distraction. For example, I am definitely procrastinating right now, and I am not interested in talking about the thing I'm really supposed to be doing, even though that is more important to me than this discussion.

Goody2shoes

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 3:17 pm
I have a hunch that most people will answer based on the topic.
I care about things that are applicable to me

Reality

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 3:19 pm
To post on a thread? Not at all.

To start a thread? Yes. It doesn't have to be the most important thing on my mind but important enough.

chanatron1000

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 3:20 pm
When it comes to practical communication, of course, I do discuss things that are relevant and important.

chanatron1000

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 3:24 pm
A discussion can be practical, emotional, personal, and/or philosophical. I think a lot of Internet discussions and dinner table discussions fall more to the abstract or philosophical type. Not necessarily deep philosophy, but sometimes "shower thought" kind of discussions, like how "reckless" is almost the opposite of "wreckless" or whether or not almond milk should be called "milk."

PinkFridge

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 4:20 pm
Rav Dessler said that we notice things we're interested in, e.g. if you're a philatelist and you see a magazine ad about stamps, you'll zero in on it even if it's not the catchiest ad.

chanatron1000

Post Wed, May 19 2021, 3:50 pm
"Interest" can mean either having stake in something (as in "conflict of interest") or being curious about or noticing something (such as interest in a book). I don't believe the latter proves the former.

zaq

Post Wed, May 19 2021, 7:58 pm
Most people will talk about things that interest them. Why would you expect people to talk about things that don't interest them? But" interest" and "care about" are not the same. some people might avoid discussing things they care about passionately, because a. they believe or know that their audience has an opposing view and they have no wish to get into a battle; or b. they don't want to air strong feelings in public; or c. they care so passionately that they become inarticulate.

Anfd "care about" and "important" are also not necessarily next-door neighbors. One can care nothing about something important and care passionately about narishkeit.

hodeez

Post Wed, May 19 2021, 10:25 pm
I don't shut up about my kids because they're just hilarious and the world needs to know 😅

zaq

Post Thu, May 20 2021, 5:05 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Rav Dessler said that we notice things we're interested in, e.g. if you're a philatelist and you see a magazine ad about stamps, you'll zero in on it even if it's not the catchiest ad.

Or things we are not necessarily interested in but have recently seen or heard about. Ever notice that when you learn a new word you suddenly see it everywhere?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics