Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
How should my kids’ afternoon look on an ideal day?

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 20 2021, 2:12 pm
I’m struggling during my afternoons with my kids. Can anyone give me some hour by hour schedules of how my day could possibly look?

6 year old boy
3 year old boy
baby

We get home from school pickup at 2:15pm.
Dinner/Bedtime routine starts at 6pm

We don’t have a backyard, friends for 6 year old live about 10 minute walk away, parks are also about 10 minute walks away

Need ideas for rainy days/ days when it’s too hot to go outside

trixx

Post Thu, May 20 2021, 2:27 pm
Put up supper in the morning.
Snack when they come home.
Bathroom, pack along snack and drinks, and walk to the park. Come home in time for supper.
Things to bring to park if you need more excitement: scooters, chalk, ball, bubbles.

Rainy or too hot: snack after school - they can help prepare it. Cut veggies, spread Dips on crackers.

Make sensory bins.

Early and long bath with fun extras.

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, May 20 2021, 2:34 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I’m struggling during my afternoons with my kids. Can anyone give me some hour by hour schedules of how my day could possibly look?

6 year old boy
3 year old boy
baby

We get home from school pickup at 2:15pm.
Dinner/Bedtime routine starts at 6pm

We don’t have a backyard, friends for 6 year old live about 10 minute walk away, parks are also about 10 minute walks away

Need ideas for rainy days/ days when it’s too hot to go outside

It's hard, I have similar aged kids and it is difficult. I aim to have dinner ready for 5.30 and work backwards from there.
If I'm not too tired, often I don't go straight home-we would go to the park and play for a while, or pop in to family/friends. That can take time.
You say you don't have a backyard-can your kids take scooter/bike or any other toy and go along the sidewalk? We often go for a walk round the block-fresh air and change of scenery and it's not too far to our house if they start tantruming.
My kids love 'crafts'. I bulk buy stickers, colors and different colored papers and let them make their own pictures. We particularly like making 'letters' for different people.

yiddishmom

Post Thu, May 20 2021, 2:43 pm
A water table. Doesn't require too much space.

professor

Post Thu, May 20 2021, 5:25 pm
Kids never get bored of painting and claydough and scissors activities but that's a mess.. do they like story tapes while eating the veggies that trixx prepared with dips on crackers?

amother
Azure

Post Fri, May 21 2021, 1:29 am
Do they like being read to? We have snack every day after school and after that if the weather isn't good I read to them and they play until dinner. It's very not structured. They really enjoy it when I join in. And they love being read to. We also color and do play dough. Then I usually prepare dinner around 5/5:30ish while they play on their own and it's ready around 6. After that is bath and bedtime.

amother
Azure

Post Fri, May 21 2021, 1:32 am
btw a 10 minute walk to a park is great- that's so close! And 10 minutes there and 10 minutes back takes up 20 more minutes of time you are looking to fill. Plus walking will get the kids even more tired for bedtime. I say try to go to the park as much as you can.

Mayflower

Post Fri, May 21 2021, 3:40 am
Do your boys enjoy puzzles? Games? I invested in some smart games which they can play by themselves, highly recommended!

Clics, kappa and playmobil are also great for this age.

So 2 15 you get home, have a snack. You can read them a story till 3. Then they can play for an hour, hour and a half with clics, building blocks or whatever. 4.30 Clean up the toys. Eat another snack. 5.00 let them play with puzzles/games. 5.45 clean up and time for supper.

Some days you can let them play with playdoh, or do some arts&crafts..

When the weather is nice, the park sounds ideal - 10min. walk is perfect.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers