Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Explain these odd lyrics dd is singing all day
Previous  1  2

Goody2shoes

Post Sun, May 23 2021, 1:16 pm
It's such a stunning song. We still love singing it on friday nights. Shame though that only the first verse is sung. The rest is equally as nice and I never heard it before!

jeweled

Post Sun, May 23 2021, 1:46 pm
bigsis144 wrote:
Yup, I was singing this song at least 25 years ago.

I ๐Ÿ˜‚ though because I never look like the Shabbos Queen when Shabbos comes in...

When I was an obnoxious and nitpicky kid, I picked on the โ€œbehind her covered faceโ€ line. Because would that mean the mother is whispering from the *back* of her head? Lol, kids think theyโ€™re soooo clever

I took this to mean that her face is covered with her palms ๐Ÿคฒ

imasinger

Post Sun, May 23 2021, 1:48 pm
iluvy wrote:
I love this song! I cry every time my 5yo sings it, even though she has no idea what the words mean and says the line "she stands so wiggly with royal grace" ๐Ÿ˜‚

Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, May 23 2021, 1:50 pm
Many songs sung today were written for performances and then became public.
It may have made sense for the performance it was written for, and is weird for those of us who don't know the context.

chanatron1000

Post Sun, May 23 2021, 1:53 pm
jeweled wrote:
I took this to mean that her face is covered with her palms ๐Ÿคฒ

That would place her behind her hands, which are covering her face, not behind her own face.

amother
Mint

Post Sun, May 23 2021, 1:53 pm
I grew up hearing "1000 friday night's" too but recently heard a version (maybe a benny friedman medley) that says "so many friday nights"
I sing that version with my daughter friday night cuz I wondered about the 1000 friday nights too

sweetie2shoes

Post Sun, May 23 2021, 2:24 pm
iluvy wrote:
I love this song! I cry every time my 5yo sings it, even though she has no idea what the words mean and says the line "she stands so wiggly with royal grace" ๐Ÿ˜‚

Thank you, iluvy. I'm laughing out loud!

essie14

Post Sun, May 23 2021, 2:31 pm
I LOVED that song as a child!!!
Wow, memories.....

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, May 23 2021, 2:42 pm
Give credit where credit is due!

The tape Yanky and Shabbos was produced by Yitzy Erps - as well as Yanky and the Pesach Seder with Zeidy. The Shabbos Queen song was composed by Yocheved Reich (Sorcher). There are quite a few songs on these tapes that became famous but by now no one remembers where they came from.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, May 23 2021, 2:47 pm
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
Many songs sung today were written for performances and then became public.
It may have made sense for the performance it was written for, and is weird for those of us who don't know the context.

Was on a tape. Yanky and the Shabbos

amother
Coral

Post Sun, May 23 2021, 3:41 pm
Always loved the song. Honestly, I think "a thousand Friday nights" adds to the beauty of the lyrics. It's poetic.

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, May 23 2021, 3:45 pm
Is the composer Etka Gittel Reichโ€™s mother?

Crookshanks

Post Sun, May 23 2021, 3:45 pm
I think so

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, May 23 2021, 3:54 pm
Am I the only one whose mother still BH lights candles and davvens for me every Friday night even though my "childhood" ended a good 30 + years ago? I always thought it made perfect sense.

smss

Post Sun, May 23 2021, 4:47 pm
iluvy wrote:

Lol I love that!! ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 23 2021, 5:04 pm
Thanks for all the replies guys! I can not believe Mrs Reich wrote that song! Thanks for that info! I went to Bais Kaila and they were like the mascots of the school. Mrs and the daughters always pulling thru with the song dance songs and etka Gittle came back one year to teach us choreography.
After h.s I had a service business and Mrs Reich would come by occasionally. She is the sweetest lady.

Also the explanation of 1,000 lights during our childhood makes a lot of sense. Idk I didnโ€™t think of that. And thanks to the poster who wrote the lyrics. Really beautiful. Now Ill go shed some tears and said DD Siddur play Wink

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, May 23 2021, 7:48 pm
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
Give credit where credit is due!

The tape Yanky and Shabbos was produced by Yitzy Erps - as well as Yanky and the Pesach Seder with Zeidy. The Shabbos Queen song was composed by Yocheved Reich (Sorcher). There are quite a few songs on these tapes that became famous but by now no one remembers where they came from.

Actually we had those tapes when I was a kid. And I loved the song. I never realized it was actually composed for the tape though.

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, May 23 2021, 7:51 pm
iluvy wrote:

omg how can you cry when you hear that? I literally just burst out laughing when I read how your dd sings it!

essie14

Post Mon, May 24 2021, 1:30 am
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
Was on a tape. Yanky and the Shabbos

We had it on a record Smile
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children