Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Orange Tea Cake (Bundt - Pareve)

Amarante

Post Mon, May 24 2021, 2:15 pm
This was a typically easy Bundt cake. I like Earl Gray tea so I was intrigued by its addition in this cake. It had a nice subtle under tone.

Orange Tea Cake

Excerpt From: Paula Shoyer - The Kosher Baker

SERVES 12 TO 15
STORAGE: Once the glaze has dried, store covered in plastic at room temperature for up to five days or freeze for up to three months.

When I was a guest on the Chicago radio talk show Walking on Air with Betsy and Sal, I gave this recipe to the hosts to test and discuss on a show about baking tips. Sally complained on air that the cake wasn’t very pretty. As it turned out, she forgot to add the glaze. Her family ate up the entire cake right out of the oven before she could even read that part of the recipe. Make the glaze.

Spray oil containing flour or spray oil plus 2 tablespoons flour for greasing and flouring pan
1 Earl Grey tea bag
½ cup boiling water
2 cups plus 2 teaspoons sugar, divided
4 large eggs
1 cup canola or vegetable oil
2½ cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
Dash of salt
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 tablespoon orange zest (grated outer peel) (from 1 orange)
¼ cup fresh orange juice (from zested orange)

GLAZE

1 Earl Grey tea bag
½ cup boiling water
1 cup confectioners’ sugar

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a large Bundt pan.

To make the cake: Steep the tea bag in the ½ cup of boiling water. Add 2 teaspoons of the sugar and stir until dissolved. Let steep while you prepare the batter.

In a large bowl, mix together the remaining 2 cups of sugar, the eggs, oil, flour, baking powder, salt, vanilla, orange zest, and orange juice with a whisk or electric mixer on medium speed. Lift the tea bag and squeeze excess liquid into the cup to make the tea as strong as possible, and then discard the tea bag. Pour the tea into the batter and mix vigorously by hand or for 2 minutes with an electric mixer on medium speed until all the ingredients are combined and the batter is creamy.

Pour the batter into the prepared Bundt pan and bake for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted in the cake comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes in the pan. Turn the cake onto a rack and let cool completely.

To make the glaze: Place the tea bag in the ½ cup of boiling water and let steep 2 minutes. Sift the confectioners’ sugar into a bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of the brewed tea and whisk until the sugar has dissolved and you have a white glaze you can pour. Let the glaze sit 5 minutes to thicken and use a whisk to drizzle over the cake.

Teomima

Post Mon, May 24 2021, 2:22 pm
That looks so, so good! I love orange cakes and I really love Earl Grey so that combination is very exciting.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins