Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
How can I help my kid make friends?

Aurora

Post Tue, May 25 2021, 11:30 am
One of my kids will be moving out of his daycare to a new school for kindergarten this year. The problem is that he's really shy around new kids and doesn't really bond with them at the park or anything.

How can I help him to interact better? I'm worried he won't have any friends.

Last edited by Aurora on Tue, May 25 2021, 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, May 25 2021, 11:33 am
Have play dates with his new class mates
I would send to the same camp as most of them

#BestBubby

Post Tue, May 25 2021, 11:39 am
Agree with Mistly-Rose.

Get a class list and see which kids live near by.

Ask your child if they would like to invite these kids to come play.

(If your child is not interested in close-by kids, you will have to pick kids who live far).

Make sure your child knows the play-date rules.

Your child should be prepared to share his/her toys. Any toys that s/he is not willing
to share should be put in a closet.

Your child should be told that one should be extra nice to guests - allow then to go first
by games, serve them food first. Otherwise they won't want to come again.

If kids are little, Mother should do a few activities with the kids - read some books,
do a simple a & c project, take kids to playground.

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, May 25 2021, 11:41 am
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
I would send to the same camp as most of them

this

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, May 25 2021, 11:43 am
What is your child into these days? Is it something popular? You need a conversation starter.

Get him a backpack or key chain that relates to his interest. The other kids will notice and come up to him to talk about it.

DD is also very shy at first, and when we switched schools she suddenly had girls running across the courtyard squealing "OMG, you know about that? That's so cool! That's my FAVORITE!" - and then years long friendships ensued. Very Happy

mha3484

Post Tue, May 25 2021, 11:47 am
I have a son like that he is 6 1/2. He used to take a long time to warm up when he saw a friend at the park or library but at school he is super social. I once made a comment to his rebbe about being him being shy and he looked at me like I had two heads. Dont assume he wont have friends! It may just take him longer to warm up but some kids are just more reserved then others. Its not a lack of social skills and they will find likeminded friends.

#BestBubby

Post Tue, May 25 2021, 12:52 pm
Sounds shallow, but make sure your DC is dressed nicely and nice hair cut.

OOTforlife

Post Tue, May 25 2021, 12:55 pm
I would invite the whole family for Shabbos lunch. I find it easier for kids to warm up in the home than in the park and will allow your kid to share some of his toys and show his room.

amother
Wine

Post Tue, May 25 2021, 2:11 pm
He needs to have the same 1 kid over 3 times for him to forge a friendship. Research a good "type" for him and invite the kid. Do something with them like baking cookies so they have what to talk about at school "remember when we baked cookies together".
You can do this same thing with another kid too. Invite 3 times over a short time.
Also teach him the words to say(role play) "do u want to play with my new ball at recess?" and then send him in with the ball. This way he's attractive to the other kids.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers