Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Good New Frum Novels?
Previous  1  2  3  4

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 11:01 am
PinkFridge wrote:
I don't know if anyone suggested this yet: Yedidya! (exclamation point mine.)

Very good too. Forgot about it, as I read it in installments before it was published.

amother
Amber

Post Tue, May 18 2021, 9:38 pm
Another recommendation for my sister in China.

About halfway through the book I realized I know the real life “Simone” (though I never knew this about her, as we aren’t close). I can attest she is an amazing, strong refined and dignified woman and knowing this about her childhood gave me a new appreciation.

I love multigenerational books and as I’ve gotten “older” I’ve come to terms a lot with the fact that people aren’t black and white good and bad. This book really touched a lot on this.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, May 19 2021, 7:26 am
Oh, and not new new but new: M. Kenan's Wildlands.

Crookshanks

Post Wed, May 19 2021, 7:30 am
I just saw that Rule of Three by Esther Kurtz is out!! I'm really excited. I love Esther Kurtz's writing style and sense of humor and sarcasm. I liked the book that was just about Abby more, but I'm excited to read this one!

cnc

Post Sat, May 22 2021, 7:45 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
Thank you all!

I found and purchased Power Plays by Yonah Klein, Adrenaline Rush by Henye Meyer (not new but new to me), A Veiled Truth by Etka Gittel Schwartz (already loaned out to wonderful DDIL), Full Circle by Gita Gordon, and Rocky Rhodes by Bina Scharf.

The Ruti Kepler new novel is not out yet (Normal Like Me is very good) and Ayuni by Sarah Ansbacher has been released but Shabsi's Judaica doesn't have it yet. And I bought an older kids' bio The Story of Rebbetzin Henny Machlis by Miriam Zakon and Nachman Zakon based on Emunah with Love and Chicken Soup for my oldest granddaughter.

I doubt Ayuni will be sold in mainstream Judaica stores. I ordered it from Amazon. It was beautifully written.

amother
Lavender

Post Sat, May 22 2021, 7:49 pm
cnc wrote:
I doubt Ayuni will be sold in mainstream Judaica stores. I ordered it from Amazon. It was beautifully written.

Why not?

cnc

Post Sat, May 22 2021, 7:54 pm
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
Why not?

It’s a regular love story with the characters having sx and the girl becoming pregnant.

OOC- is the author religious?

Goody2shoes

Post Sat, May 22 2021, 7:54 pm
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
Why not?

Cuz it's about the love life of a chareidi isreali girl and a secular boy. Sounds unorthodox to me

Goody2shoes

Post Sat, May 22 2021, 7:55 pm
cnc wrote:

Is it good? I want to buy it but would like to hear about it before

AllThings

Post Sat, May 22 2021, 8:05 pm
Not new but Sun Inside Rain by M. Bassara is AMAZING. I found it very different from your typical Jewish novel (and trust me, I know them. I read A. Lot.)

amother
Blonde

Post Sat, May 22 2021, 8:22 pm
Another vote for ester zirkinds book and the bio of rabbi Grossman

Goody2shoes

Post Sat, May 22 2021, 8:29 pm
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
Another vote for ester zirkinds book and the bio of rabbi Grossman

What was esther zurkins book about?

amother
Blonde

Post Sat, May 22 2021, 8:44 pm
It is intense- she had some serious nisyanos in her life and she authentically recounts how she dealt with them and even grew from them- beautifully written she is talented as a writer and inspiring. Serious stuff for mature audiences only

amother
Papaya

Post Sat, May 22 2021, 8:44 pm
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
https://www.israelbookshoppublications.com/store/pc/Jamilla-p3636.htm

Although I wouldn't define it as a thriller. Its just as much of a drama. I guess it's sort of a cross-genre, which is my favorite style of writing because if it's a straight up drama, how long can you read about two people in a room talking? And if it's just action, then you dont feel anything for the characters. So this is both, and yes, I definitely talk too much when people ask questions about my books, thanks for asking.

Another Navy:
Would this book be good for a teen boy?
My son loves reading and I have to screen the Jewish ones for him. Is there romance...or anything a sheltered, frum teen boy shouldn't read?

amother
Navy

Post Tue, May 25 2021, 12:49 pm
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
Another Navy:
Would this book be good for a teen boy?
My son loves reading and I have to screen the Jewish ones for him. Is there romance...or anything a sheltered, frum teen boy shouldn't read?

It has a couple who are shidduch dating, and there is an Arab who wants to marry a Jewish girl. But nothing even approaching inappropriate happens. (My kids are very sheltered, too!)
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room