Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Baby vomits regularly - UPDATE
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 26 2021, 6:43 am
I dont know if my question is directly related to allergies, but it's about my highly allergic child.

He is allergic to all the main foods, and his allergic reaction has been to vomit at times.
However, he also tends to vomit out of the blue, even if he ate no known allergens.

This morning I fed him his regular breakfast- and a minute later, while he was still sitting in his high chair, he brought up the whole breakfast.

He is not congested and he has no fever. He feels totally fine after he vomits.

He can vomit a few times a week, or go a week or two without vomiting.

Anyone have any idea what could be causing this?
Baby is 16 months.

amother
Oak

Post Wed, May 26 2021, 6:58 am
Have you been to the doctor?
Does he have acid reflux?
This is definitely a question for the pediatrician. No, it’s not normal at 16 months. You really need to figure out what’s going on. How will he be able to go to school/playgroup?

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 26 2021, 7:38 am
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
Have you been to the doctor?
Does he have acid reflux?
This is definitely a question for the pediatrician. No, it’s not normal at 16 months. You really need to figure out what’s going on. How will he be able to go to school/playgroup?

Well, the truth is that several of my other kids also did this. So I wasn't worried. But since this child also has allergies, I am more concerned because I don't know if it's from the allergy or something else.

The doctor said to go to a gastroenterologist, and I will if I have to, just scared of going down a rabbit hole.
My kids all get car sick as well when they are little. I usually have a change of clothes in the car and wipes.

mizle10

Post Wed, May 26 2021, 7:43 am
My kids who are sensitive to dairy vomit if they have too much

amother
Oak

Post Wed, May 26 2021, 8:07 am
Yes, you definitely should have him seen by a pediatric gastro

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 26 2021, 9:31 am
mizle10 wrote:
My kids who are sensitive to dairy vomit if they have too much

He is allergic to dairy so he is totally off that.
I feel like he vomits often when he had a good solid meal. Maybe he is overeating?
But I always thought that babies know when to stop naturally.

Also, he so often refuses his food, so when he finally is in the mood of eating, I am happy to keep feeding him until he shows me he is full. I feel like he barely eats, I wonder how he stays alive..😣 (I am still nursing him so I'm not really worried)

motherfrmisrael

Post Wed, May 26 2021, 11:41 am
My son used to vomit daily, and the doctor sent us to test a bunch of different things.

It ended up being reflux

amother
Lime

Post Wed, May 26 2021, 11:48 am
I could have written your OP word for word. Allergic baby, randomly vomiting after safe meals, etc. We were sent to a GI and had an endoscopy and it turned out to be eosinophilic esophagitis. Definitely get it worked up.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 26 2021, 8:06 pm
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
I could have written your OP word for word. Allergic baby, randomly vomiting after safe meals, etc. We were sent to a GI and had an endoscopy and it turned out to be eosinophilic esophagitis. Definitely get it worked up.

Oh my. Never heard of this condition, but sounds serious.
Is it related to the allergies?

amother
Lime

Post Wed, May 26 2021, 8:11 pm
Yes. It's an allergic condition and is mostly seen in kids who have IgE-mediated allergies.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 26 2021, 9:22 pm
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
Yes. It's an allergic condition and is mostly seen in kids who have IgE-mediated allergies.

What is that?

amother
Lime

Post Wed, May 26 2021, 10:24 pm
Allergies that cause immediate reactions, such as what you described in your OP.

shanarishona

Post Wed, May 26 2021, 10:31 pm
When I read your post, I thought EOE as the poster above mentioned.
If you are any allergy mom groups on Facebook- they sometimes talk about EOE.
I would definitely look into that possibility.

notshanarishona

Post Thu, May 27 2021, 1:48 am
My son vomits a lot during eating but by him its dysphagia and overall low muscle tone causing choking, etc

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, May 27 2021, 1:53 am
My 4 year old son also has EOE. He had the exact same symptoms as your baby.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 27 2021, 4:49 am
Oh my. I will make an apt with the gastro today.
Just tell me, how does this condition OEO manifest? I tried googling it but I didn't understand.
He is 16 months now.
Is this a condition that requires medication for life? Is it life threatening?

Also. He has been walking up frequently at night screaming. This from a baby who has been sleeping through the night for many months. Could that be connected?

Last night he screamed about 5 times. I took him into bed with me to nurse him and when I wanted to put him back, he shrieked.

amother
Lime

Post Thu, May 27 2021, 5:06 am
In a nutshell, EoE is allergic inflammation of the esophagus, meaning that allergens (usually food) cause damage to the esophagus which causes vomiting, lack of growth, difficulty swallowing (usually in older kids/adults), etc. The 3 treatment methods are diet (there's no test to identify the triggers so it's a lot of trial and error and multiple endoscopies), PPI therapy, or topical steroids. Those who go the medication route usually do need it for life.

My child is on a combination of all 3 treatment methods and still has not had a clean scope, but most patients do have success with one method or another.

amother
Lime

Post Thu, May 27 2021, 5:08 am
Forgot to answer your question--it is not life threatening. Nobody has ever died of EoE. It's about quality of life, not life itself.

Not sure about the night waking. I would think that sounds more like reflux, but EoE does present similarly to reflux so it's possible.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 27 2021, 6:44 am
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
Forgot to answer your question--it is not life threatening. Nobody has ever died of EoE. It's about quality of life, not life itself.

Not sure about the night waking. I would think that sounds more like reflux, but EoE does present similarly to reflux so it's possible.

Thank you so much amother Lime and all the helpful Imas.

I just called the Dr to get that gastro referral.
I really really hope it's not EoE. It sounds so scary. Between his allergies and eczema, this baby has seen enough of doctors and hospitals and I can't handle another big thing now.

About the waking up at night...I can't figure it out. The only thing I could think of is that I have been dieting so maybe its affecting my milk, amd hes waking up because he is hungry. It started around the same time that u started my diet. I'm eating a ton of protein and veggies, including dairy because I didnt want it to affect my milk. But I didnt have much milk before that either, so I didn't think its a problem. He is already eating and only nurses for comfort. (I think). This is all guess work and therefore so confusing.

The allergies was confusing to navigate but now I feel we are somewhat on the right track.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 27 2021, 6:48 am
One other thought...

My doctor has told me not to stay away from eating those things that my son is allergic to since it usually does not pass onto the baby through breast milk, and the little that goes through is important so he doesn't become intolerant to it . (Something like that. )

But I wonder if maybe he is reacting to it after all. I have been eating lots of eggs and dairy lately, two foods that he is allergic to.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics