Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
We need a place to move to...
Previous  1  2

amother
Jade

Post Wed, May 26 2021, 9:26 pm
justforfun87 wrote:
Ok so Baltimore schools won't help to catch up kids. From my understanding BY isn't currently accepting any students that require educational support due to Covid/learning center being full and being already stretchedtoo thin. That being said there is a thriving homeschooling community in fact one of the biggest Jewish ones. My sister is actually involved is starting a grassroot Yeshiva for boys who have been homeschooled/kicked out of school/don't fit the mold.

So BY wont. Bnos will, but you will need extra tutoring on your own. TA will on the same terms as Bnos.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 27 2021, 11:02 am
Any more suggestions? Will we really not fit anywhere? lol

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, May 27 2021, 11:08 am
Baltimore has a lot of baal teshuvas and a lot of home schoolers. I think u would fit in there. Go for a few days and meet rabbi goldberger. There’s a whole homeschooling group u can join

amother
Copper

Post Thu, May 27 2021, 11:11 am
Wishing you much hatzlocha! Just as an aside psa given the recent exposures of covert missionaries trying to infiltrate orthodox communities here and in e”y seems like many people who may be considered a bit out of the box (like no formal Jewish schooling- and I say this as having homeschooled too) are being asked to “demonstrate/provide proof” of their Jewishness. Given the recent incidents that have come to light I would understand and not personalize it.

mha3484

Post Thu, May 27 2021, 11:14 am
Everything except the housing I would say Chicago. Our schools offer a ton of resources for struggling students and 80% of the parent body receives a tuition discount. The medical care here is really good. I only wish houses were cheaper and taxes lower.

amother
Beige

Post Thu, May 27 2021, 11:32 am
Hi, I know everyone is saying Baltimore. I didn't know there was a breslov community here, wow!
Certainly its a great city where people are friendly and welcoming. That being said, I agree you will have a very hard time with the schools. Bnos is usually full. Even if they weren't full, I have heard that they are not initially so financially accommodating to new families from out of town.
Housing: 250,000 is on the lower end. You could definitely find a semi-detached house for that price but it will in an area that is not considered as safe and where there tend to be more petty crimes.
I also think that you will find money very tight here. The cost of living is not as bad as some other places, but many people struggle even with salaries well over 100,000 (including us).
I don't want to discourage you because I really love this city but I think finding a smaller place where you are very much wanted and pursued may have a better outcome as far as accommodations and services.

amother
Puce

Post Thu, May 27 2021, 11:42 am
I know cincinnati was mentioned as a by the way but personally I wouldn't recommend it. The family that sounds the closest to you here (kids were homeschooled, parents baal teshuva/geir...) tried the local school but it didn't work out for them.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 27 2021, 12:04 pm
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
Wishing you much hatzlocha! Just as an aside psa given the recent exposures of covert missionaries trying to infiltrate orthodox communities here and in e”y seems like many people who may be considered a bit out of the box (like no formal Jewish schooling- and I say this as having homeschooled too) are being asked to “demonstrate/provide proof” of their Jewishness. Given the recent incidents that have come to light I would understand and not personalize it.

Don't worry as a convert I come with a certificate of authenticity...lol. Also we have plenty of people to vouch for us and esp my husband.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 27 2021, 12:06 pm
Thank you all for your suggestions.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, May 27 2021, 1:00 pm
A few people mentioned Baltimore. I just want to say that Baltimore is a welcoming community and you'll find every type here like BT, geirim, MO, JPF, yeshivish, heimish, chasidish so anyone will find like minded people.

That being said, I teach in one of the schools and these are my observations. When the parents are BT or geirim they are more successful if they fit in with mainstream yiddishkeit. I don't mean this in a derogatory way however I have seen the fallout too often when the parents don't pick up on the nuances of frum life. When they make an effort to talk, dress and act like the mainstream they are more successful. Many teachers have observed the same thing. I'm thinking of two families in particular, one the mother was a giyores and the father a BT, the other both were BT's and unfortunately most, if not all, of their kids are OTD. They never picked up on the nuances and they and the kids stood out like a sore thumb, never fitting in. I tried explaining to the mother often what she can do so her child would fit in better but to no avail. The mother felt if she was keeping halacha, the nuances didn't matter. In theory she's right but I always felt that had they lived in a smaller community with a higher percentage of BT's so that her kids fit in more, those kids would be frum today. Sadly they're not and the one's I taught have so much animosity toward the frum community.

All I'm saying is I would hate to see this happen again so please be sure your family will fit into the schools and not be considered outcasts. This is so critical, I can't stress this enough. It's not enough just to have the schools and shuls accept you. That's just step one.

I'm sorry for you that it has to be so hard but as a teacher I feel it's only right to be brutally honest so you can make the right decision for your family.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating