Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Potato kugel in a pyrex?

pizzapie

Post Fri, May 28 2021, 11:26 am
I'm almost out of disposable pans. Does anyone know if potato kugel will cook well in a pyrex? Tia Smile

groovy1224

Post Fri, May 28 2021, 11:43 am
I love potato kugel in pyrex. Gets the yummiest crispy edges.

watergirl

Post Fri, May 28 2021, 11:44 am
Of course it will! What do you think we all used before the tins were so cheap and easy to find? It comes out BETTER in a pyrex.

noidea

Post Fri, May 28 2021, 11:45 am
pizzapie wrote:
I'm almost out of disposable pans. Does anyone know if potato kugel will cook well in a pyrex? Tia Smile

As a kid had Kugel in a pyrex , it came out more wet / mushy. Personally I prefer foil pan Kugel but it can work in a pyrex !

mizle10

Post Fri, May 28 2021, 11:47 am
noidea wrote:
As a kid had Kugel in a pyrex , it came out more wet / mushy. Personally I prefer foil pan Kugel but it can work in a pyrex !

A Pyrex should actually make it crispier. Maybe it was just how your mother made kugel.

pizzapie

Post Fri, May 28 2021, 11:48 am
watergirl wrote:
Of course it will! What do you think we all used before the tins were so cheap and easy to find? It comes out BETTER in a pyrex.

Thanks! I guess I thought that the alternative to disposables would be a non disposable metal pan of similar dimensions. I'm actually trying to get away from using so many disposables I'm just not sure what the best alternatives are.

watergirl

Post Fri, May 28 2021, 11:58 am
pizzapie wrote:
Thanks! I guess I thought that the alternative to disposables would be a non disposable metal pan of similar dimensions. I'm actually trying to get away from using so many disposables I'm just not sure what the best alternatives are.

I love my pyrexes. But be warned - when you take it from the hot oven, put it on a TOWEL and not directly on the counter. They literally can shatter if it undergoes that temperature change. It's one of the charms of pyrex and any of us who have been using them forever will tell you it's happened to them.

miracleshappen

Post Fri, May 28 2021, 12:00 pm
Also be careful not to bake it at too high of a temperature. My recipe called for baking the kugel at 425 and the entire pyrex exploded inside my oven and broke it.

Miri1

Post Fri, May 28 2021, 12:01 pm
I use a pyrex every week.
But don't heat the oil in it first (if you do that trick), because pouring the cold kugel batter into the hot pyrex and oil can cause thermal shock and extreme shatter.

I grease the bottom, but keep the pyrex at room temp.

pizzapie

Post Fri, May 28 2021, 12:55 pm
Thanks for all the pro tips! I've actually been using pyrex for awhile but never for kugel. So far my kugel looks deliciously crispy! I've never had pyrex shatter but I'm terrified of that happening!

pinkpeonies

Post Fri, May 28 2021, 12:58 pm
pyrex doesnt shatter from heat, and of course its better than a foil pan!! if anything, the questions should be the opposite lol

chaya678

Post Fri, May 28 2021, 1:03 pm
I make my potato in glass ramekins
Comes out delicious. All crispy edges and soft inside. I grease them all over with a bit of oil.. heat in the oven and then add the mixture. You have to be very careful when you take out of the oven because it is very very hot.

ra_mom

Post Fri, May 28 2021, 1:23 pm
Line it with parchment for easier slices.

Motherhood

Post Fri, May 28 2021, 1:26 pm
I bake my potato kugel every week in Pyrex. It is so crispy on the outsides!

Miri1

Post Sun, May 30 2021, 9:23 pm
pinkpeonies wrote:
pyrex doesnt shatter from heat, and of course its better than a foil pan!! if anything, the questions should be the opposite lol

It shatters if there are extreme changes from heat to cold or vice versa.
So pouring cold batter into a searing hot oil in the pyrex isn't a good idea.

It happened to me once only - with a corelle type baking dish (also reacts this way).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes