Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
I think my identity has been stolen

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 28 2021, 1:46 pm
does anyone know about this?
my sister asked me why I all of a sudden have social media accounts.
then I couldnt open a bank account, cuz my social was flagged
and now im getting login alert attempts to my phone for a bank account I dont have

anyone know what to do????

im not good at finances
and my husband is unfortunately not avail to help me

amother
Floralwhite

Post Fri, May 28 2021, 1:48 pm
Call the social security administration and tell them your identity has been stolen and they'll put it into the system to disable that number and give you a new social security number.
Good luck.

amother
Ivory

Post Fri, May 28 2021, 1:51 pm
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
Call the social security administration and tell them your identity has been stolen and they'll put it into the system to disable that number and give you a new social security number.
Good luck.
Umm no idk where you heard that but that’s totally wrong.

Op you need to go to https://www.identitytheft.gov/. Follow all the steps. It’s definitely a hassle though.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Fri, May 28 2021, 1:52 pm
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
Umm no idk where you heard that but that’s totally wrong.

Op you need to go to https://www.identitytheft.gov/. Follow all the steps. It’s definitely a hassle though.

That's what I did.

ra_mom

Post Fri, May 28 2021, 1:52 pm
First thing you need to do is pull a credit report on your name to see all activity / open debt. Then you need to put a fraud alert on your account to protect yourself from future activity. Also sign up for tracking of your credit info.

1. If you're pulling your own report, you call pull it once a year without it affecting your credit.
https://www.freecreditreport.com/

2. Then call all 3 national credit unions to put a "fraud alert" on your account. Call each one separately, even through their recording will say you don't have to call each one, and that they'll forward the info (not so accurate or quick). The fraud alerts will stop anyone from trying to open anything in your name. You'll get a call if someone is trying to open an account and they will need your live verification.

Experian 888-397-3742

Equifax 800-525-6285

TransUnion 800-680-7289

3. Also, sign up for a free app like Credit Karma which will update you any time there is a change to your credit score, anything new on your report, etc and you can check it yourself at anytime (not a printable report like the first option).

ra_mom

Post Fri, May 28 2021, 1:54 pm
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
Good luck.

They haven't don't this in decades. No new number will be given unless you're in the witness protection program. Wink

amother
Ivory

Post Fri, May 28 2021, 1:54 pm
ra_mom wrote:
First thing you need to do is pull a credit report on your name to see all activity / open debt. Then you need to put a fraud alert on your account to protect yourself from future activity. Also sign up for tracking of your credit info.

1. If you're pulling your own report, you call pull it once a year without it affecting your credit.
https://www.freecreditreport.com/

2. Then call all 3 national credit unions to put a "fraud alert" on your account. Call each one separately, even through their recording will say you don't have to call each one, and that they'll forward the info (not so accurate or quick). The fraud alerts will stop anyone from trying to open anything in your name. You'll get a call if someone is trying to open an account and they will need your live verification.

Experian 888-397-3742

Equifax 800-525-6285

TransUnion 800-680-7289

3. Also, sign up for a free app like Credit Karma which will update you any time there is a change to your credit score, anything new on your report, etc and you can check it yourself at anytime (not a printable report like the first option).

She also needs to contact the local police and file a report. As well as a few other things. The steps are all on the identity fraud site

amother
Ivory

Post Fri, May 28 2021, 1:55 pm
ra_mom wrote:
They haven't don't this in decades. No new number will be given unless you're in the witness protection program. Wink
I’ve never heard of this happening ever. They used to issue new ss numbers? Wild.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Fri, May 28 2021, 1:56 pm
ra_mom wrote:

Sorry, you're right, I did not get a new number. I called the social security administration and they helped me with it.

amother
Silver

Post Fri, May 28 2021, 1:57 pm
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
I’ve never heard of this happening ever. They used to issue new ss numbers? Wild.

I can imagine people abused that system too somehow.

ra_mom

Post Fri, May 28 2021, 1:59 pm
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:

Before 9/11, it was possible to go before the courts with an attorney and make a case for getting a new SSN. It was not easy and not common, but it was possible. No longer possible.

amother
Ivory

Post Fri, May 28 2021, 2:05 pm
Op what’s with the social media accounts? How did your sister find them, do they have your picture? Personal info?

OOTforlife

Post Fri, May 28 2021, 2:24 pm
Hopefully it is a stranger doing this, but it is worth thinking about whether anyone in your circles of friends, family, caregivers, or household employees could be the culprit. Unfortunately this is common.

smile11

Post Fri, May 28 2021, 2:35 pm
can't help but good luck its a long process remember my grandmother had someone steal hers
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics