Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Nuero psych evaluation (brooklyn)
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 3:56 pm
can anyone recommend someone who can do a nueropsychological evaluation? preferably someone who can bill medicaid-fidelis. I'm desperate!!

advocate

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 6:01 pm
Can The OP or someone else explain why someone would not start with a school system eval? I realize that they do not perform as many subtests, but it should give a solid picture of the child .

amother
Green

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 6:06 pm
Does your child receive services through an agency? If yes they may be able to help you with this.

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 6:17 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
can anyone recommend someone who can do a nueropsychological evaluation? preferably someone who can bill medicaid-fidelis. I'm desperate!!

Columbia and NYU have clinics that accept insurance. We were on a waiting list for 8 months at Columbia and then did a 2 day evaluation but got no comprehensive results. I didn't find them effective (student doctor supervised by tenured doctor).

amother
Purple

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 6:46 pm
NYU Child Study Center
Was very happy there. They do no take Fidelis but I doubt you will find a dr that does.
Good luck!

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 7:05 pm
To answer a few questions at once, my son had an evaluation through the school quite a few yrs ago. He currently gets ot and counseling in school. Each gives hf hr session twice a week.

But he still had issues that the school isn't happy with. They basically gave me an ultimatum.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 7:08 pm
amother [ Purple ] wrote:
NYU Child Study Center
Was very happy there. They do no take Fidelis but I doubt you will find a dr that does.
Good luck!

How does this work? Can they just do the evaluation and tell us what the next step is? Whether it's more therapy out of school or maybe just some exercise we can do on our own.

sbs

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 7:09 pm
most private neuropsychologists don't take any insurance,
someone mentioned some clinics that do,
there's also a cornell clinic
there's the child mind institute that does studies and if you fit their criteria the evaluation will be free of charge
and I believe Dr. Huberman at Suny downstate also takes insurance,
however the wait can be long and it may take some jumping through hoops

as far as local private doctors,
Dr. Miriam Goldstein
Dr. Joyce Dweck
both give comprehensive reports and recommendations,

there still can be a long wait and the actual evaluation process takes some time also, schools have to understand that this can be a few month long process, they're not going to have any answers tomorrow

nicole81

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 7:14 pm
sbs wrote:
most private neuropsychologists don't take any insurance,
someone mentioned some clinics that do,
there's also a cornell clinic
there's the child mind institute that does studies and if you fit their criteria the evaluation will be free of charge
and I believe Dr. Huberman at Suny downstate also takes insurance,
however the wait can be long and it may take some jumping through hoops

as far as local private doctors,
Dr. Miriam Goldstein
Dr. Joyce Dweck
both give comprehensive reports and recommendations,

there still can be a long wait and the actual evaluation process takes some time also, schools have to understand that this can be a few month long process, they're not going to have any answers tomorrow

Dr. Huberman is great, but he's a developmental pediatrician.

OP, what are the issues the school is seeing?

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 8:44 pm
nicole81 wrote:
Dr. Huberman is great, but he's a developmental pediatrician.

OP, what are the issues the school is seeing?

He's 9 yo, in 3rd grade.
He has a hard time controlling himself, such as shouting out in class, or jumping out of his seat.
He has a hard time during transitions, recess, lunch, etc. Basically any unstructured times.
He has difficulty with social recognition, and it causes friction w the kids in his class.
There's more, but this is what the school is concerned about.
If anyone has any ideas for a plan of how to deal with these type of issues without a proper evaluation, I'm all ears.

rikkik

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 8:50 pm
Is he receiving OT?

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 9:01 pm
rikkik wrote:
Is he receiving OT?

Yes. And counseling. He's also approved for a para, but for some reason the boe pulled it this year for no reason.

advocate

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 9:18 pm
1) talk to your pediatrician, and ask him to give you behavior/attention ratings scales for you and your son's teachers to complete (usually two teachers, and I suggest one kodesh, one chol)

2) I do think you should refer to the BOE for evaluation. (You can choose whether the school sees the results or not, though I usually recommend being transparent.)

3) When you say "social recognition", do you mean recognizing social cues?

If you like, you can pm me.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 9:39 pm
advocate wrote:
1) talk to your pediatrician, and ask him to give you behavior/attention ratings scales for you and your son's teachers to complete (usually two teachers, and I suggest one kodesh, one chol)

2) I do think you should refer to the BOE for evaluation. (You can choose whether the school sees the results or not, though I usually recommend being transparent.)

3) When you say "social recognition", do you mean recognizing social cues?

If you like, you can pm me.

I'm not comprehending what I should ask my pediatrician about.

How do I get another evaluation from the BOE? He's already receiving services from them.

As for social recognition, yes, he does not pick up on cues. He also doesn't have spacial recognition either. He can get right into others faces.

advocate

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 9:45 pm
Just request a new IEP meeting. Describe your additional concerns. You can always ask for a new meeting, you can always request additional assessments.

Regarding the rating scales, describe your concerns to your pediatrician and ask for rating scales --you'll fill out the questionnaires and so will the teachers the doctor's office will tabulate the results.

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 9:50 pm
The department of education can provide a free neuropsychological evaluation. Contact the guidance department in your son's school (or whoever you spoke to about getting initial services) and request one. I work in the DOE and process these evaluation requests often. They might tell you they don't provide them, but they do. They have several who have city contracts so you'd have to use one. A popular one is Dr. Erik Moore. I think he's based in Queens.

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 10:11 pm
amother [ Purple ] wrote:
NYU Child Study Center
Good luck!

I used them a few years ago and the school I send to (not mainstream) was not happy with the results.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 10:21 pm
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
The department of education can provide a free neuropsychological evaluation. Contact the guidance department in your son's school (or whoever you spoke to about getting initial services) and request one. I work in the DOE and process these evaluation requests often. They might tell you they don't provide them, but they do. They have several who have city contracts so you'd have to use one. A popular one is Dr. Erik Moore. I think he's based in Queens.

Oh, wow! I didn't know that. I've once dealt with Helen potash. Does that name ring a bell? Does she work with the boe? Is she someone who can help me?

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 10:31 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Oh, wow! I didn't know that. I've once dealt with Helen potash. Does that name ring a bell? Does she work with the boe? Is she someone who can help me?

I'm sorry I'm not sure. My district Is in Queens. But if you have a resource department at your child's school, call them and say you are making a formal request for a neuropsych and where you should email the request to. If they don't know, call the district you live in CSE (committee special education) office and ask where you can send the letter requesting it to.

amother
Purple

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 10:36 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How does this work? Can they just do the evaluation and tell us what the next step is? Whether it's more therapy out of school or maybe just some exercise we can do on our own.

They do a thorough evaluation. Mine was in 3 parts.
Then they go over the findings with you and explain all the test results. They do make recommendations as to therapy, meds, type of school to look for.... but it's up to you to follow up with all or any of their recommendations. They also have a psychiatrists there so if there is a need to go that route there is a flow of information between psychiatrist and psychologist.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics