Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Im moving! pls share ideas for doing it organised and calm!

Sweet Sour

Post Tue, Jun 01 2021, 2:21 am
Is there something specific that worked for you? Or st you wish you would have done differently?

pls share your tips and ideas.

Id love ideas and go to items for getting my new home organised as well.

amother
Linen

Post Tue, Jun 01 2021, 3:00 am
With my first move I bought good quality boxes from Uline. I'm glad I did, they were all clean and consistent sizes. If I was doing a local move I'd rent plastic moving boxes though.

Be very generous with boxes. IMHO it's better to have a not-so-full box with JUST toys, than a full box that has toys, towels, and hangers.

Try to spread out the packing. Pack in a different room every day and just pile up the boxes in a corner. Pack least-used items first.

Bring a garbage bag with you, and before putting anything into a box, ask yourself, "Will I be happy to unpack this item in a few weeks?" If no, trash it instead.

Label your boxes very well, with everything you put inside, and number them too! Put the list of box numbers and contents into a file so it's easy to find (for example) the baby blankets, the menorah, and the camping tent.

At the end of packing a room, slap on a bright colored dot sticker or use colored tape so that it's easy to see which boxes go together.

Use paper plates between your dishes to keep them safe and then use those paper plates for dinner!

Pack an overnight bag for each family member so that you don't have to unpack boxes first thing just to get your teeth brushed and get into bed.

It will be chaotic even with all your planning, but you'll do great!

imamothertoo

Post Tue, Jun 01 2021, 5:37 am
I find that unpacking in the bedrooms is quite easy but it’s very time consuming to unpack a kitchen. Figuring out what goes where. I found it very help although tiring, I brought over most of my kitchen stuff the day before and unpacked it. Made moving day much easier for me
Also clearly label which room everything is going into while packing so the movers put each box in the right container.
Call the movers in advance and ask if they have boxes for the hanging stuff. If yes then ask if they want to drop it off a day before or will they remove the hanging stuff from the closets. This way everything stays on hangars and can be rehung quickly. Label those boxes as well

southernbubby

Post Tue, Jun 01 2021, 6:26 am
I am also moving but because everyone in my neighborhood gets grocery boxes and puts them outside on recycling day, my boxes were free.
My strategy has been to pack the least needed items first such as winter clothes, Chanukah stuff, Pesach pots and so forth. We have donated and disposed of things that we no longer use or that won't work in our new location. We have to downsize anyway.
Look at everything with a critical eye rather than with an emotional attachment.

SuperWify

Post Tue, Jun 01 2021, 6:33 am
1. As you start to pack go through every item in your house. If you want to take it- pack it. If it’s in bad condition- toss. If it’s in a decent condition- give away and if it’s in great condition but you don’td anymore- sell.

2. Pack organized. In the front of the box put a sticker with the room it’s going in. On the top flap write exactly what’s inside so if you need something you’ll have an easier time finding it. Amazon sells the room stickers. When you get to your new house, put a sticker on each door with the room it is (ie- laundry, bedroom 1, bathroom 2 ect) so the movers know exactly where to put the boxes

3. Make sure to have food on the day of your move. Drink a lot. Have child arrangements for the kids. Have cash ready to tip your workers.

Good luck!

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Jun 01 2021, 6:38 am
Good luck in your new place!

Before the move, purge. Some people like to think in terms of finances. As in, do I want to pay to have this moved? Or think in terms of space. Do I know where this object will go in the new house? The less you have, the easier it will be to move.

Take pictures of your bookshelves or any other arrangement you want to recreate in the new house. This way, you can unpack as you like.

My number one tip: If the budget allows, pay the movers to pack and unpack for you. They can do it in a fraction of the time it will take you, and they will do a better job.

Take important papers and valuables yourself.

Pack a suitcase with light bulbs, linens, towels, toilet paper and toiletries (soap, shampoo etc) as well as first aid supplies. Unpack this as soon as you get to the house.

Have each family member pack a bag with a week's worth of clothing so you are not stressed about unpacking.

If it's an option, order groceries and a takeout meal to the new house. Also if it's possible to have your kids spend the day with friends or family and come home to the new house after the movers have left, that will be a big help.

Unpack the kitchen first, then go through the house bit by bit. Logic dictates that the bathrooms and bedrooms come next, but do whatever makes you feel settled.

ETA On the day of the move, make sure to have cash on hand to tip the movers. If you can have cold drinks, or even a pizza, they will be extra grateful.

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Jun 01 2021, 6:47 am
Mark the boxes with numbers and make a list of the boxes and their content. This way, you can check off all the boxes that come to your new home. It gives you peace of mind to know that you have everything.

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Jun 01 2021, 6:50 am
Pay the movers to pack and unpack

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Jun 01 2021, 7:45 am
I’m also moving.

Between carpools has a lot of moving tips.

Go on there & use what makes sense to you.

That’s what I did & I’m doing a lot better than I thought I would.

Good luck !!

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Jun 01 2021, 9:19 am
Wow! Wow! Wow! So many amazing tips that didnt occur to me. Thank you all soooo much!

Sweet Sour

Post Tue, Jun 01 2021, 9:20 am
The above post is from me. unchecked the box in error.

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Jun 01 2021, 9:21 am
delete

SweetMouse

Post Tue, Jun 01 2021, 9:28 am
If you are paying the movers by the hour instead of by the job, and you are on a tight budget, be careful of time-wasters. I believe that legally, though, movers are entitled to a break every so often so be respectful of their rights.

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Jun 01 2021, 9:30 am
It will be chaotic!
Stay calm because it’s worth it

Good Luck
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating