Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Egg Rolls and Wonton Wrappers
1  2  Next

amother

Post Sun, Mar 09 2008, 11:47 am
What is the difference between egg rolls and wonton wrappers? I see recipes for both. I thought one can be used for the other, I am so confused. How do you make your egg rolls?
I've never made them in my life but I'd like to try it out.

sarahd

Post Sun, Mar 09 2008, 12:11 pm
Wonton wrappers are small squares. Egg roll wrappers are bigger and oblong.

shopaholic

Post Sun, Mar 09 2008, 1:45 pm
The wonton wrappers are better because they are thinner. If I use the big ones, I cut them in 4.

pinktichel

Post Sun, Mar 09 2008, 4:46 pm
Sorry ladies, but I have discovered otherwise.

Wonton wrappers are thicker and get very crispy when fried. Eggroll wrappers/skins are thinner and while they do get crispy when fried, they are not as hard to bite into.

I have used wonton wrappers to make eggrolls, but they nowhere close to as good as eggroll wrappers.

Btw, I have found wonton wrappers in different shapes and sizes. Depends on the company.

mom7270

Post Sun, Mar 09 2008, 4:47 pm
depends what u r using them for. I use the wonton wrappers around chicken or meat and its very easy to bite into. I like to use the eggroll wrappers for vegetables though...

cookielady

Post Sun, Mar 09 2008, 4:59 pm
I have got to disagree pink. wonton wrappers are smaller (think wontons)
egg roll wrappers are larger as others have said. what I find is that some brands are thicker while others are thiner. Now a spring roll wrapper is much thiner than an egg roll wrapper but I dont find those in stores to often at all.

amother

Post Sun, Mar 09 2008, 5:12 pm
So what are everyone's recipes for eggrolls? I want to make them, with all the usual ingredients like cabbagge inside. Do I use egg roll wrappers or wonton wrappers to make the eggrolls? Please be detailed. I've never made these egg rolls before, and I need to know how to make the wrappers. What do you stuff inside them besides cabbage?

pinktichel

Post Sun, Mar 09 2008, 5:53 pm
cookielady wrote:
I have got to disagree pink. wonton wrappers are smaller (think wontons)
egg roll wrappers are larger as others have said. what I find is that some brands are thicker while others are thiner. Now a spring roll wrapper is much thiner than an egg roll wrapper but I dont find those in stores to often at all.

Let's fight this one out, cookie! Twisted Evil
The wonton wrappers I get are huge squares. Same size as my eggroll wrappers!

cookielady

Post Sun, Mar 09 2008, 5:58 pm
pinktichel. Im bigger than you and older than you. So I win this one. Twisted Evil

pinktichel

Post Sun, Mar 09 2008, 5:59 pm
amother wrote:
So what are everyone's recipes for eggrolls? I want to make them, with all the usual ingredients like cabbagge inside. Do I use egg roll wrappers or wonton wrappers to make the eggrolls? Please be detailed. I've never made these egg rolls before, and I need to know how to make the wrappers. What do you stuff inside them besides cabbage?

I make the recipe from the purple cookbook. I skip out the beansprouts and bamboo shoots and use more cabbage instead. They are absolutely fabulous... made them for shabbos and dinner tonight. I use eggroll wrappers. If you can't buy them wherever you live, my sister said the recipe from that cookbook works great too!

pinktichel

Post Sun, Mar 09 2008, 6:05 pm
cookielady wrote:
pinktichel. Im bigger than you and older than you. So I win this one. Twisted Evil

Well, I'm a silver member here and your only an executive!! Rolling Eyes

I promise you, cookie, my wonton wrappers are the same size as my eggroll ones and become really crunchy when fried. I did however see in my new local supermarket, small wonton wrappersa made by the same company as my egroll wrappers... can't wait to try them... they are probably the ones you use.

cookielady

Post Sun, Mar 09 2008, 6:15 pm
The problem with you pinktichel is you are too nice to boss around!!

shoy18

Post Sun, Mar 09 2008, 8:17 pm
pinktichel wrote:
cookielady wrote:

Well, I'm a silver member here and your only an executive!! Rolling Eyes

I promise you, cookie, my wonton wrappers are the same size as my eggroll ones and become really crunchy when fried. I did however see in my new local supermarket, small wonton wrappersa made by the same company as my egroll wrappers... can't wait to try them... they are probably the ones you use.

are you buying the frozen ones with the Japanese paper around them? those are egg roll wrappers, the wanton ones Ive only seen fresh in kosher stores, they are made by the same company that makes tofu and they are in the refrigerated section of the grocery near the tofu and dips.

HooRYou

Post Mon, Mar 10 2008, 1:08 am
Can I butt into the debate with a question please?

I have seen here forzen egg roll wrappers but not wonton skins. Can I use the eggroll wrappers to make the kind of wontons to be served in soup (boiled, not fried) or would they wind up being too thick?

Thanks

cookielady

Post Mon, Mar 10 2008, 7:55 am
Shoy18, the frozen eggroll wrappers in the white paper with chinese writing (I think) is very thick and I find it makes a really infrerior egg roll. skin is just too thick. The kind that are the best come in the refrigerator section. This type, you can cut the egg roll skin down to wonton size and use it for wontons.

shoy18

Post Mon, Mar 10 2008, 7:58 am
cookielady wrote:
Shoy18, the frozen eggroll wrappers in the white paper with chinese writing (I think) is very thick and I find it makes a really infrerior egg roll. skin is just too thick. The kind that are the best come in the refrigerator section. This type, you can cut the egg roll skin down to wonton size and use it for wontons.

Thats what I found as well, they are terrible.

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Mar 10 2008, 7:59 am
I get refrigerated eggroll and wonton wrappers in the produce section. The only difference between the wonton and eggroll wraps the I purchase is the size, the thickness is exactly the same.

I sautee onions, add coleslaw mix, soy sauce, ground ginger, salt, and pepper, and then some chopped up chicken.

cookielady

Post Mon, Mar 10 2008, 8:04 am
My eggroll filling is: shredded cabbage, shredded carrots. shredded scallions, fresh garlic, fresh ginger, bean sprouts. some soy sauce and believe it or not (dont get grossed out) some shredded hot dogs (chicken dogs)

In a large skillet, heat about 2 T oil, sautee cabbage, carrots, scallions, finely chopped garlic and ginger. Stir until starts to soften a little. Add shredded hot dogs. Sautee for a few minutes more. Then add the bean sprouts, sautee just for another minute, You dont want the bean sprouts to become soft. Stir in soy sauce.

Cool, drain, and use to fill egg roll wrappers. I also use this filling for wontons which sometimes I steam and sometimes I fry.

pinktichel

Post Mon, Mar 10 2008, 8:37 am
shoy18 wrote:
cookielady wrote:

Thats what I found as well, they are terrible.

Well then we all agree!!! Argument over, cookie!! The frozen wonton wrappers were the only ones I have seen in my local groceries until this new supermarket opened here. They have the refrigerated (smaller) ones.

I have also found that the frozen wonton wrappers are too thick for eggrolls and for wontons too!! That's what I was saying from the start!! LOL I will try the refrigerated wonton wrappers (for chicken) and see how those go down. The eggroll wrappers, made by the same company are great!

pinktichel

Post Mon, Mar 10 2008, 8:39 am
cookielady wrote:
The problem with you pinktichel is you are too nice to boss around!!

Awwwww!! Thanks!! embarrassed LOL
Truth is, I just have to be right... and I was!!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes